BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

France 3 Spain 1

philipl

England are 5/4 to win in 90 minutes. Portugal 9/4

Is that an English bookies though? What are the odds in a neutral country that knows it's football, say Italy or Germany?

Personally my opinionis that Portugal have a better set of taechnical players but fewer that can turn a game. I can't pick a winner between us and the Portuguese. It all comes down to who turns up on the day. Portugal might have an edge in that they have already played a quality team in the Dutch but England have not really got out of second gear. Also there is the heat.

Yes, England are certainly favourites, I can see potential "upsets" in all of the matches. France can be very, very good, Brazil haven't been great so far. You never know what to expect with Italy, though I haven't been that impressed with the Ukraine so for me this is the least likely upset. Portugal are not much worse than England and will certainly cause England problems, even though they are missing players (though I suppose you could say both sides are). While Argentina will certainly not be looking forward to facing the in form hosts. It is a very interesting set of fixtures.

If you look at the favourites I would grade the difficult of the fixtures (easiest to most difficult):

Italy

England

Brazil

Argentina

Is that an English bookies though? What are the odds in a neutral country that knows it's football, say Italy or Germany?

Theyure average odds from an English bookie. Dont know many continental bookies to check.

Dopnt get me worng though, at them odds the value is all with the Portuguese.

A very interesting game, the know-how of the French squad saw them through against a very well put together Spain team. I was disappointed to see Henry getting up to the sort of cheating that you would imagine him to be above. That display of play-acting was peerless in its blatancy. On the other hand it was great to see the mighty Zidane wrap it up. Yes his team are overly reliant on him, yes his legs are slowly giving way. But as a playmaker and leader by sheer example, the man is unquestionably the finest player I have ever seen grace a football field

...you can only beat the sides put in front of you (Spain had the easier group in my opinion) and England have done that so far, Spain haven't.

Yes you're right. The Spanish went out to France (solid, vastly experienced, if unspectacular). England scrapped through against, erm...Ecuador. Of course the history books never show context. However I find it baffling that England fans (though I don't tar all of you with the same brush) can be so supremely smug when their own side seems to be stuck in second gear, performing valiantly against the mightiest South American and Caribbean opponents.

Fortunately for the English, the draw favoured them. While their betters have been meeting in various exciting and dynamic encounters, eliminating each other in the true spirit of World Cup football, Svennis and the WAGS could yet lurch into the semis proving that hard-work (and very little else) really does pay off.

Good luck to them.

Edited by Rovermatt

Theyure average odds from an English bookie. Dont know many continental bookies to check.

Dopnt get me worng though, at them odds the value is all with the Portuguese.

England are favourites with French bookmakers as well.

Fortunately for the English, the draw favoured them. While their betters have been meeting in various exciting and dynamic encounters, eliminating each other in the true spirit of World Cup football, Svennis and the WAGS could yet lurch into the semis proving that hard-work (and very little else) really does pay off.

Good luck to them.

Hold on, are you really saying that before tonight you would have honeslty considered France to be a better side than Portugal? I don't think so. Personally, I do, but I think I would have been in a small minority. As for the easiest draw, that award certainly goes to Italy, while neither Spain nor France could have complained about their groups, or road to the quarters had they both won it, while even while having to face France I think had Spain put them away 2-0 you would have all agreed it was a fairly easy route.

England are favourites with French bookmakers as well.

Hold on, are you really saying that before tonight you would have honeslty considered France to be a better side than Portugal? I don't think so. Personally, I do, but I think I would have been in a small minority. As for the easiest draw, that award certainly goes to Italy, while neither Spain nor France could have complained about their groups, or road to the quarters had they both won it, while even while having to face France I think had Spain put them away 2-0 you would have all agreed it was a fairly easy route.

I would consider France a better side than Portugal, World Cup performances notwithstanding.

I'd prefer England to be playing France than Portugal. I think they're not technically as good and that they are one of the few teams that England may have the legs over in this tournament. Just my opinion.

I would consider France a better side than Portugal, World Cup performances notwithstanding.

Well, world cup performances notwithstanding, surely you consider Germany to be the worst of the three, so the Argies are lucky little @#/?s.

I'd prefer England to be playing France than Portugal. I think they're not technically as good and that they are one of the few teams that England may have the legs over in this tournament. Just my opinion.

I'd prefer England to be playing France, not because an issue of legs but simply because I think the two teams play in a very similar way and so it would take little or no adaptation for the English players.

Typical Spain really, flattered to deceive as usual. When the big games come round they disappear. France aren't a shadow of the side they were yet they fully deserved their place in the last 8.

What price the other early hyped favourite Argentina going out to the Germans on Friday?

It's the teams that can defend well that'll end up in the latter stages (with the possible exception of Brazil who aren't great at the back but make up for it going forward).

If I were English I'd rather have faced France before Portugal got Deco and Costinha suspended and CR injured. Now they have a better shot at Portugal, who looked very strong taking down the Netherlands. I don't think Joe Cole will have an easy time against Miguel.

It's the teams that can defend well that'll end up in the latter stages (with the possible exception of Brazil who aren't great at the back but make up for it going forward).

Precisely. Which is why I tipped Italy to win it--not that I think they're all that great, but when you don't concede you can't be beat (except in PKs, which the Italians have a nasty habit of doing).

Of course England have the best defence in the tournament according to some people. :rolleyes:

We have got a very good defence. One of the best certainly. We let in two stupid goals against Sweden which showed vulnerability at set pieces but in open play we were hardly threatened in a ll four maches. Admittedly however the opponents were all pretty average. Portugal will be the acid test, but I expect the defence to play well. I'm more worried about creating up front to be honest- at least two out of Rooney, Cole, Lampard, Beckham and Gerrard are going to have to have very good games. All of them save the odd spurt from Cole, Rooney and Gerrard have been decidedly average.

Of the four games:

Germany v Argentina Desperately close call. Argentina would be clear favourites but for German home advantage. Narrow Argentina win.

Portugal v England: 2 previously unimpressive teams. Too close to call imo. Extra time and penalties looms.

Italy v Ukraine Virtual shoe in for the Italians

Brazil v France Can't see past a comfortable Brazil win.

The best team won. France are improving and are solid at the back, not including Barthez.

Spain are fuming at Henry the cheat (in their eyes). It's a bit rich coming from a team that got a dodgy penalty. Spain aren't as bad as the Portuguese but they do tend to dive a lot. Why don't Spain concentrate on thinking why they are worse than us when it comes to major tournament bottling. I do believe that they view club play to be superior than playing for Spain. I think the English suffer from that syndrome too, maybe because of media pressure.

You could view the result as Karma for Aragones after his comments toward Henry.

france really played as a team lastnight, you could see they were well up for it after the spanish booed their national anthem.

with aragoones(sp) and the french not hasving the best relationship it really was a grudge match.

spain had alot of the play and keeping the ball they were fantastic but they french stuck to their guns and took their chances.

i said in the preview zidane wouldn't want to finish on a wimper and he proved me right.

Spain are fuming at Henry the cheat (in their eyes). It's a bit rich coming from a team that got a dodgy penalty.

Are you Ian Wright in disguise?

I had hoped Henry was, like, the Gandhi of cheating following his comments post-CL final. Well, if not Gandhi then at least somebody prepared to call an opponent a girl for taking a dive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.