BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England 0 Portugal 0

ihtd

That's not the point. My point is the striker selection had absolutely no bearing on us going out today. The only way I can answer is following:

Would I have started Rooney today? Yes.

Would I have replaced him with Crouch? Yes.

Would I have introduced another striker at any stage? No.

Would you (or anyone else stupidly complaining) have done anything different?

So you're as gutless as Ericsson then. If he had taken Defoe, Bent, Beattie, etc instead of that overgrown mascot, Walcott, we could have gone with three at the back and played another striker. Furthermore, if we'd had a semi-competent striker we cpuld have played someone INSTEAD of Sideshow Crouch who spent most of his time on the pitch passing to the opposition. If you don't believe me just watch the highlights.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the point. My point is the striker selection had absolutely no bearing on us going out today. The only way I can answer is following:

Would I have started Rooney today? Yes.

Would I have replaced him with Crouch? Yes.

Would I have introduced another striker at any stage? No.

Would you (or anyone else stupidly complaining) have done anything different?

Would I have started Rooney today?yes(but wouldnt have taken him so soon after a break in bone

Would I have replaced him with Crouch?nope.....id have brought another striker on ...ooops after how many sven took ..yes

Would I have introduced another striker at any stage?yes ...but we didnt have any...WHY TAKE WALCOTT??

In this age of football, playing pretty football doesnt always mean success. The style you were playing in the WC, could have taken you far. Just look at Germany and Portugal...

Germany have played some of the best football in the tournament.

No, that's fair enough, ABBEY.

I'd have rather taken Defoe or Bent, than a 17 year old that doesn't even get close to the 1st team (it effectively make us a 22man squad). No-one could have predicted that Owen'd twist his knee in the 1st mintute against Sweden.

Surely you'd agree that if we went to penalties, 2 top scoring midlfielders could do the business ????

Don't get me wrong, losing on penalities is upsetting..................................

I'm not name calling- I have alot of respect for those who post on this board regularly. Nor do I wish to fall out with any other members of the board. A difference in opinion is OK. ?

PERCY I DONT FALL OUT WITH MANY ..NOT YOU MATY ..WE KNOW WHICH PRAT I MEAN

THERE YOU GO PILLOCK

THERE YOU GO MUPPET

MMMMMMM WAS I RIGHT ?

Sorry but you still haven't found a quote where I said Sven was fantastic. I think other people on this board will vouch for the fact I am not a Sven fan and never have been.

I backed Sven on picking Walcott but ultimately I don't think that was why we went out and didn't perform.

Have you got anymore insults? I wonder how many you can direct before the mods consider a mild rebuke.

Edited by rover6

Given the rubbish formation it's hard to take that the 1 player i wouldn't have had in the team played the best and tried his best for 120mins + a pen. Owen Hargreaves deserves a medal, the guy was amazing.

4-4-2 should have been the formation, not enough strikers cost us. Appalling decision to send off rooney but awful pens!

Get some of those inflatable boxing gloves and make it safe ...

Ronaldo ... let's give him a shoeing, me first

Lampard ... knackered after long season, Sven was too loyal, should've put Carrick in instead

Gerrard ... not bad, but should've played up front with Rooney

Owen ... just goes to show how waft modern boots are (see Rooney 2002)

Hargreaves ... I take it all back, what pills was he popping?

Ferdinand ... cometh the hour, wobble the lip ... definitely eating my words here too

In short, lions lead by donkeys.

It's painful to write off a future managerial rein as hopeless, but clearly this is the case.

The court jester is dead, long live the court jester.

The issues regarding the Portuguese conduct smack of nothing more than press desperation. Ronaldo (who was villified, bizarrely, by Jonathan Pearce because he kissed the ball before his spot-kick and had a staggered run-up :huh:) didn't make Rooney grind his studs into Carvalho's balls and he certainly didn't convince the referee that a red card was the only reply.

Not true. Rooney was fouled 3 times before the "incident" and because he didn't go down holding his face like a fairy boy he ended up getting sent off. It is entirely possible he didn't put his studs on Carvalho intentionally as he was struggling for balance and falling backwards under the attention of the two Portugese. What is crystal clear is that Ronaldo was in the ref's face even though it was nothing to do with him, and winked at the bench after Rooney had gone. You appear to be from the Lawrenson school of match watching

Not true. Rooney was fouled 3 times before the "incident" and because he didn't go down holding his face like a fairy boy he ended up getting sent off. It is entirely possible he didn't put his studs on Carvalho intentionally as he was struggling for balance and falling backwards under the attention of the two Portugese. What is crystal clear is that Ronaldo was in the ref's face even though it was nothing to do with him, and winked at the bench after Rooney had gone. You appear to be from the Lawrenson school of match watching

Whatever.

Rooney stamped on the guy's balls.

I would imagine Ronaldo was winking at the bench due to Rooney's penchant for losing his cool (as I suggested).

Whatever.

I would imagine Ronaldo was winking at the bench due to Rooney's penchant for losing his cool (as I suggested).

STAMPED??? .....with a name of matt i presume your male,have youever been whacked in the nads?it hurts so bad you are nearlysick...IF ROONEY HAD STAMPED ON HIS NUTS IN HIS BLADES THE GUY WOULD HAVE BEEN A GAL IN ONE QUICK STAMP AND IF HE HAD GOT HIM THE POOR CHAPPIE ON FLOOR WOULD HAVE TAKEN MORE THAN A MINUTE TO RECOVER

mmmm what about tinytears butt before the kick off

Whatever.

Whatever indeed. He didn't "stamp" on his balls, he put his foot there as he was falling. Doesn't matter though because I suggest we may have seen the last of Ronaldo the cheating little sh*te in England, which can only be a good thing as far as I am concerned

Hated him before. Hate him now. Until club managers start sorting out their own players, cheating little s__ts like him are here to stay.

And as for Rooney, clearly the lesson for him is that instead of trying to stay on your feet after the first foul by Carvalho, or the second, or the third, you should go down. Preferably holding your head and rolling around a bit.

NO! NO!! NO!!! NO!!!! At least we can claim to still be one of the few Nations in World Football that does not stoop to these gutter tricks to con a way to victory. Let's just keep it that way.

So you're as gutless as Ericsson then. If he had taken Defoe, Bent, Beattie, etc instead of that overgrown mascot, Walcott, we could have gone with three at the back and played another striker. Furthermore, if we'd had a semi-competent striker we cpuld have played someone INSTEAD of Sideshow Crouch who spent most of his time on the pitch passing to the opposition. If you don't believe me just watch the highlights.

I find the critisism of Crouch quite frankly laughable, as when he was on the pitch he kept hold of the ball a lot better than Wayne Rooney today and only wish Rooney would have had the chance to play with Crouch as Crouch held the ball up brilliantly and England actualy looked more effective with him up there on is own with 10 men than the previous hour with rooney and 11 men.

Just because the fella is slightly diferent than the rest and it's easy to slag him off does't mean he shouldn't receive praise where praise is due.

I'm not saying,by any stretch of the imagination, that Crouch is better player than rooney but he is most definately a better target man than Rooney.

Your claim that all that Crouch did was give the ball away is hopefully going to b changed when you actually do watch the highlights and see what actually heappened today.

I have always stated that with the players that we have we should of played a 3-5-2.

to play someone up front on their own who is either half match, or who has no great pace was a mistake.

he played a far too safe a game, he looked liked he did not watch to lose the cup, but to do well you have to be able to win it and in that dept we were not at the races.

Why take a full back and them never play him, why take holding mid field players( in which we had then enough) and never play them yet take only four forwards.

we took some of the wrong players and the game plan was totally wrong for this world cup.

still time to move on. well I hope we do.

ps Is it just me but I hate it when other players try to get others sent off, I thought that the refs were told to book such actions.

stick to debate and cut out the abuse

Here, here!

C'mon people we are all disappointed and this can come out as anger. But please everyone take a deep breath and ask yourself "who am I angry at"? Then let's remember we are all pals together on this site, and then we can get on and have a sensible or at least a good humoured discussion on the various events and comments we have seen.

Remember it is not the end of the world; just the end of the World Cup for England. We will be back!! ;)

Edited by Fife Rover

ps Is it just me but I hate it when other players try to get others sent off, I thought that the refs were told to book such actions.

No, its not just you.

As Shearer said on BBC this afternoon I suspect Ronaldo will get a difficult time when he turns up for training at Old Traffford.

I find the critisism of Crouch quite frankly laughable... as Crouch held the ball up brilliantly

Ah yes, Robinson kicks ball out, hits Crouch, bounces off, Portuguese defence clear the ball. (Repeat ad nauseam)

The Portuguese must be laughing their nads off tonight.

How brilliant is Ricardo on penalties? He got his hand onto all four penalties. A couple of them were poor, but still impressive.

You just beat me to it Lathund; I was about to say the same. That guy is absolutely brilliant at stopping penalties! How many is that now? Fantastic!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.