[Archived] Franny Jeffers

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

98-99 Everton 6 Goals, 15 Games

99-00 Everton 6 Goals, 21 Games

00-01 Everton 6 Goals, 11 Games

01-02 Arsenal 2 Goals, 6 Games 2 Games (Champions League)

02-03 Arsenal 2 Goals, 16 Games 5 Games (Champions League)

03-04 Everton 0 Goals, 18 Games

04-05 Charlton 3 Goals, 20 Games

05-06 Glasgow Rangers 0 Goals, 4 Games (Champions League)

When set out like that the stats look far from impressive but he's not been given a consistent run anywhere in the few years. He's made too many cameo appearances from the bench. When you look exclusively at his starts the numbers look a bit healthier.

18 goals in 37 league starts for Everton. Plenty of sub runouts plus 4 starts for Arsenal in the league - 4 goals; 4 goals in 8 starts in the cup competitions. 5 goals in 12 starts for Charlton.

Let's be honest, probably a bit of gamble, however, hughes has a nack already, he's still young, we need the cover and he's another option, however, he cost nowt so I'll be giving him my backing until he proves otherwise.

I've a sneeking feeling he'll do well at our gaff.

So do I - just need to see him play a couple of games - its the injuries that are the worry but he also needs the service - predatory wise he has certainly shown he had it previously- but does he still?

Come on Pob ... show us yer goals. :tu:

And the one and only reason for that belief is Mark Hughes. Summarized: Jeffers will cost us very little, he has a neat contract which allows us to just not pay him much unless he performs, and therefore this is a totally acceptable deal for us.

Wenger's dubbing of Jeffers as a 'Fox in the Box' should answer that question. He thought he was getting a young striker capable of bagging 20 goals a season in L'Arse's system.

Well sure, but a quick look at the, ya know, facts, should have demonstrated to him that he was only capable of 6.

I have to say this transfer strikes me as odd, hes vastly over rated and seriously under performed, its ok sayings hes on a "highly incentivised" contract and at some stage he will hopefully will come good.

but if the contract is anything like dwight yorkes was he just needs to be available to the first team squad and gets some massive weekly sum.

Personally id prefer he gets minimum wage and a 10k a goal, goal bonus :P

as for coming good at some stage the guy has been with some very good managers who have been unable to turn his career around, so scuse me if im not overly excited by this one.

To be fair to the guy he looked great at Everton and never really got his chance at Arsenal. Since then he seems to have lost the plot and that combined with injuries has seriously damaged his career. He certainly has talent, hopefully he'll start finding the back of the net when we call upon him. As has been mentioned, both Hughes and Eddie N. have worked with him before so they must have seen something.

I hate to disappoint him, but with McClaren in charge, he can kiss goodbye to that for 2 main reasons...

1. McClaren is know for his love of fielding youngsters, although he will pick the regulars, there will always be a shock youngster with him (Maybe not as shocking as Walcott...)

2. He was hired as a "Yes" man for the FA, he has sat in the background for too long, he will have his own ideas, but ultimatly he will fall foul to Barwicks Bullying tactics.

Positive thinking though.

If he scores enough goals he'll make the squad, I don't think he will, but if he hits 15-20 goals next season he is in with a great chance.

I dont want to put the lad down, but look at Bent? I suppose Frannie does have experience on his side, but i think he is the wrong age for McClaren.

I was alarmed when i found out a bit of information on Jeffers.

When at the tender age of 16, he was hit down with a career-threatening heart illness, but made a recovery from that shortly after. Does anyone know what this was? Quite a few young sports-stars have died in the last 2-3 years due to heart defects.

Finally, due to a continuous problems with his ankles, the Everton fans had labelled him 'Glass Ankles', and feared he mightened have been able to withstand the pyhsical pressures of the Premiership.

Presumably he had a thorough medical like everyone else coming to Rovers but injuries/illnesses like that might have had a psychological contribution to his total loss of form.

Evertonians have a fond hope he would get back to his peak like we had about Jansen. Everyone who has seen him in the last few years totally despair of him. At least Jansen's problems were physiological from the crash whereas presumably physically and reaction-wise, Jeffers is not impaired.

If, and this is big IF, Sparky and co work a miracle for Jeffers, at least the press will be quick to remember his scoring exploits for the u-21s and on his debut and, thus far, one and only full cap. That alone will put Jeffers into the England frame quicker than say Kevin Davis would be if he has a good season at Bolton.

• 2 weeks later...

Why didnt mr armchair let us know his true opinions on jeffers, found on the official board. :D

"Jeffers is small and crap in the air too.

Personally, I would prefer Rovers to give Jemal a chance rather than Jeffers who has wasted so many over his career.

People like Jeffers and Bothroyd are given chance after chance whilst some youngsters don't receive the same favourable treatment, for no good reason but they're young"

:rolleyes:

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Why didnt mr armchair let us know his true opinions on jeffers, found on the official board. :D

Personally, I would prefer Rovers to give Jemal a chance rather than Jeffers who has wasted so many over his career.

People like Jeffers and Bothroyd are given chance after chance whilst some youngsters don't receive the same favourable treatment, for no good reason but they're young"

I think the main reason JJ hasnt been given the chance is not that he's young...but rather that he's not good enough...

Jeffers is small... erm, hardly the biggest of crimes. I didn't know their was a height quota when it came to rating strikers.

I can't say much about the air, because I haven't followed his career closely, but he scored a brilliant header in his England debut, if I can remember correctly.

Jeffers is small... erm, hardly the biggest of crimes. I didn't know their was a height quota when it came to rating strikers.

Wouldn't that make crouch and zigic two of the best strikers going around, even in history.................... :P not a go at you james

I was responding to someone who was dismissing Jemal as small and crap in the air.

It grates me a bit that a player like Jeffers, who displayed all the greedy tendencies that sicken me about footballers by demanding a move away from Everton almost as soon as he'd burst on the scene, is a multi-millionaire for being a crap footballer and doing nowt for however long it's been.

I predict Jeffers won't do much at Rovers but would happily be proven wrong. And it's true, I'd rather Jemal Johnson or Matt Derbyshire were given a real chance.

I was responding to someone who was dismissing Jemal as small and crap in the air.

It grates me a bit that a player like Jeffers, who displayed all the greedy tendencies that sicken me about footballers by demanding a move away from Everton almost as soon as he'd burst on the scene, is a multi-millionaire for being a crap footballer and doing nowt for however long it's been.

I predict Jeffers won't do much at Rovers but would happily be proven wrong. And it's true, I'd rather Jemal Johnson or Matt Derbyshire were given a real chance.

i agree derbs should be given a go, but jemal over jeffers ? ! :blink:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.