SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Franny Jeffers

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good riddance, a terrible signing, evertime he has played he's been the pits

We couldve had Derbs playing in all those games he played in and he wouldve made a bigger difference

It really is a kick in the teeth to are youth players when the manager would rather sign some last-chance saloon player rather than promote a youngster up the ranks

The fact is that Jeffers only played in 3 games in 2007 and Gally played in all three and Derbs played in 2 of the 3 and was injured for the other one.I don't believe you can make a case that the minutes of play Jeffers has consumed have been taking away from our young striker's (Gally and Derbs)opportunities.Jeffers only played in 15 matches for the entire year and Gally played in 8 of those concurrently! Now,Derbs you might think has had opportunities taken from him for playing time but he has played 7x as much Cup football this year as Jeffers (430 minutes vs 61 minutes) and Sir Matt has played more time in the league than Jeffers as well(410 minutes vs 357 minutes).While Jeffers has been a bit of a lightning rod for criticism from many quarters, I don't think you can say his presence at the club has stifled opportunities for our 2 young strikers nor hindered their development.

Bit early Billy, but I do agree with you. We should not be signing second rate, off the boil players to fill in our 4th/5th striker berths when we have players like Derbyshire and Garner coming through.

Any more info on that?

of course..... from matt derbyshire thread, 3rd jan :

"I think he'll be ahead of jeffers in the pecking order, from what I've been told.

jeffers has had a virus for several weeks - longer than anticipated. I after being given adequate time off, he was MADE to come into training, the other week, (after phoning in sick), as MH and medical staff weren't sure he was as ill as he said he was.

I'm sure someone else 'in the know' will confirm.

disappointing. I thought he wouldve been more committed - given he's drinking at the 'last -chance saloon'.

at least we know derbs will be fully committed."

Edited by pleasure

Ipswich boss Jim Magilton:

"Franny was outstanding and a real threat. He will always score goals at this level.

"I was absolutely delighted with his performance. He was the outstanding individual for us and has real quality.

"He gets one chance in this game and takes it - and that's the difference. We felt he could give us something."

What a shame that he seems to keep pressing the self destruct button isn't it?

Edited by thenodrog

Does anyone else think that franny jeffers transfer was for financial reason I mean! Comes on pay as you play contract for free! Then loaned out to a championhip club for a bit then maybe a small transfer fee of 250k - 500k at the end of it??

Does anyone else think that franny jeffers transfer was for financial reason I mean! Comes on pay as you play contract for free! Then loaned out to a championhip club for a bit then maybe a small transfer fee of 250k - 500k at the end of it??

I don't think it was for purely financial reasons. OK, it was a free transfer and he's probably on low wages but, I think that Rovers gave him a genuine chance to get his career back on track with us and if it didnt work out (as it hasn't) then yeah, loan him out. We don't loose either way and the guy gets a fair crack of the whip.

Good luck to Franny and maybe a Championship team is more suited to him. He just doesn't offer enough at the top level.

I don't think it was for purely financial reasons. OK, it was a free transfer and he's probably on low wages but, I think that Rovers gave him a genuine chance to get his career back on track with us and if it didnt work out (as it hasn't) then yeah, loan him out. We don't loose either way and the guy gets a fair crack of the whip.

Good luck to Franny and maybe a Championship team is more suited to him. He just doesn't offer enough at the top level.

I'm in agreement Mancs.

No way did Rovers' sign him to cash in on him. Hughes has played with him upfront at Everton and knew his potential and was probably hopeful of getting him back on track. I still think he can do and perhaps provide the same level of service as 'Shefki the Farmer', but could me more composed in front of goal.

LT reporting that Jeffers was contacted by fellow Scouser and current Tractor Boy Gary Roberts. He told Jeffers he should head to Suffolk as Ipswich have bigger support, take more away and are a bigger club.

Gary is an ex Stanley winger so he'd know all about big clubs :rolleyes:

The consensus of opinion at work is Jefferes is pure class and was ruined by Arsenal who didn't play him - I'm not so sure, but I am sure that if he gets some serious time on the pitch rather than last 10 minute substitions, we will get a better player back from the tractor boys than we sent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.