BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roberts Signs

oh no, oh my god, oh ######, (Please don't use that word again), double (Please don't use that word again)........ :o

once again, the club are happy to sign mediocre players at best, in the hope that this will appease the fans, for the way the club and bellamy lied through their teeth. a european campaign to come and we are signing roberts and jeffers. it is not ok for these types of players to be signed by the club, because the fans deserve a lot better.

i hope that people from within the club read these pages, then they will see the amount of dissapointment that is now apparent since the signings of these 2 players.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see them as that similar at all, Roberts game is all about pace and power whereas Mido is much more cute and crafty with his movement.

Although I'm probably getting far too hopeful of signing the latter without knowing if he's even in the least bit interested.

Admittedly...the way they go about their business is different, as you rightly pointed out...but ultimately both will tend to play somewhere near the shoulder of the last defender and try to poach goals around the box and from crosses. Both are used to playing with a smaller, faster player (Keane/Defoe, Camara) so this would suggest the two wouldn't appreciate playing with each other.

Niether will be keen to run the channels or provide a link between midfield and attack (as Bellamy could), I'm sure Hughes will want someone who can do the both of those. This was one reason I was keen on Nugent...however, given the two signings we've made, it's obvious a higher calibre of player is needed now, and given that we've probably spent around £2 million on the pair we do have, a sizeable amount should be available for a player that the fans can get excited about.

Who this player will be, I have no idea...although I suspect they will probably be from abroad given the lack of suitable players in England and the fact that we've signed two players with Premiership experience already.

Edited by LeChuck

I think either club club can request it be kept quiet both have to agree though. But normally the buying club as it's their money being thrown about.

I noticed quite alot of chelsea's are undisclosed, but estimates are made by the media, this can't be an attempt to cover up their finances as everyone knows it's endless so the selling club must have influence over that.

See, I've always thought it was the selling club that makes the fee undisclosed to save face at not getting great value for a player (a la Bellamy's move last summer). Rover6, that would put my guess around the £2.5 million you mentioned--not great business for a player with just one year left on his contract, but not bad either.

I'm with the optimists on the messageboard because I trust Hughes to bring in a top quality striker still, be it Mido or a more lively, pacey striker (Miccoli?). Deep down I'm a bit disappointed with Roberts for the sole reason that his signing probably precludes a move for Eddie Johnson, a player who wants to move to Europe and would be a great investment for Rovers.

Still, if Mido comes in on loan or at the £4 million range that I've heard thrown around, that should leave enough money for another signing, possibly in midfield. I'd love Malbranque or Petrov still, and a real right winger wouldn't hurt either.

Admittedly...the way they go about their business is different, as you rightly pointed out...but ultimately both will tend to play somewhere near the shoulder of the last defender and try to poach goals around the box and from crosses. Both are used to playing with a smaller, faster player (Keane/Defoe, Camara) so this would suggest the two wouldn't appreciate playing with each other.

Niether will be keen to run the channels or provide a link between midfield and attack (as Bellamy could), I'm sure Hughes will want someone who can do the both of those. This was one reason I was keen on Nugent...however, given the two signings we've made, it's obvious a higher calibre of player is needed now, and given that we've probably spent around £2 million on the pair we do have, a sizeable amount should be available for a player that the fans can get excited about.

Who this player will be, I have no idea...although I suspect they will probably be from abroad given the lack of suitable players in England and the fact that we've signed two players with Premiership experience already.

Just wondering if (assuming all else fails) Bentley could carry out that role, or possibly MGP (with Peter on the left MF role). MGP probably not quick enough but has all the other attributes for the support striker role.

Edited by Fife Rover

Just wondering if (assuming all else fails) Bentley could carry out that role, or possibly MGP (with Peter on the left MF role). MGP probably not quick enough but has all the other attributes for the support striker role.

(Flameproof jacket on) A couple of weeks too late now if he's signed a new contract at Chelski, but for the 4m figure being bandied around, Duff has usually performed well when filling in in that role.

MGP just hasn't got enough pace.

Two more signings by Mark Hughes & the Rovers board.

Speak it quietly and hush, but have they yet to sign a donkey?

Roberts has been seen as a potentially good player who just needs some coaching; Jeffers, as noted earlier, worked with Eddie Nid at Arsenal & he also played with MH at Everton. They must have spotted something.

Fingers crossed guys & gals that our management team know what they are doing. I'm willing to trust them.

Two more signings by Mark Hughes & the Rovers board.

Speak it quietly and hush, but have they yet to sign a donkey?

The Rovers Board - loads. (probably in common with all other Boards.)

Hughes - only one to date - Kuqi- and even he was of the bargain bucket variety.

Which means of course that if England had won the penalty shoot-out then according to you they deserved to be there.

Absolutely, but they didn't

Seriously though, I have big reservations about Jeffers. Albeit the club has done well to mention he is on a highly incentivised contract, I thought we maybe could have got him on a 12 month deal with the option of a further 2 years rather than 2 years to start.

Baz, what happens if he comes good in the first 12 months? Then he has the opportunity to leave on a free

The Rovers Board - loads. (probably in common with all other Boards.)

Hughes - only one to date - Kuqi- and even he was of the bargain bucket variety.

If Jeffers and Roberts manage 8 goals each in the Premiership next season alongside 8 more from Shefki, I'll take all three donkeys very happily.

Again, its worth pointing out that the worst over-priced donkey buying was presided over by Hodgson/Kidd and funded by Jack Walker himself.

Since Jack's death, the inbound transfer record of Souness and Hughes backed by the Board has been remarkably good. In fact, I'd say in terms of transfer spend not wasted, Rovers are probably the best in the Premiership bar none since 2001.

£2m lost on the Scottish mammy's boy but I'm struggling to put any other transfer outlay in the wasted category.

Guys I think that talk of another 2 sdtrikers is a little off target. Believe me if we just get Mido now or something then i wont be over the moon but i think its the best we can hope for. how can we now sign 2 more strikers and have roberts/kuqi/gallagher/derbyshire/jeffers all on the bench or in reserve? Players want and need to play. Fair enough if gally and dervyshire go on loan and kuqi goes but until then talk of another two strikers is ludacris. for what its worth i remember a commentator saying last year "pitty jason roberts isnt english as hes given sol campbell the worst night of his life"..cant be bad.

But please hughes and the board we HAVE to sign one big name striker otherwiseyou can see the crowds drop by at least another 1k next season. And also, how annoying would it be with another big name big money departure if the walkers just keep the money to themselves. Until that happens lets try and keep the faith...me included.

If Jeffers and Roberts manage 8 goals each in the Premiership next season alongside 8 more from Shefki, I'll take all three donkeys very happily.

Again, its worth pointing out that the worst over-priced donkey buying was presided over by Hodgson/Kidd and funded by Jack Walker himself.

Since Jack's death, the inbound transfer record of Souness and Hughes backed by the Board has been remarkably good. In fact, I'd say in terms of transfer spend not wasted, Rovers are probably the best in the Premiership bar none since 2001.

£2m lost on the Scottish mammy's boy but I'm struggling to put any other transfer outlay in the wasted category.

Sadly Phil if these donkeys do put in 8 each it wont be enough to put bums on seats...exciting players do that. At current we dont have one player (pedersen perhaps) who can produce the unthinkable that atttracts people.

You can't have forgotten Ciccio already can you philip.

Uninspired by this one but he is definately the style of player we need. A big strong lad with a bit of skill. I said we should have got him some time back but no one seemed to like him back then. We have needed this type of forward for some time. Still need a quality player to play off him.

Is Pongolle no longer with us? I saw mention on here that indicated he may be gone. Anyone clear that up for me.

Grabbi?

lol

Its always a good read here... :lol:

We still have another to come yet, prob why one was a free and the other, well, undisclosed maybe £4m as Wigan won't under price them selves.

MH has not disclosed his other one taget as yet and with what..£6m to spend I expect something juicy on the horizen. I remember he did'nt want other clubs sniffing round his prize target.

I sent dillo a message around 9 last night to tell dillo about Roberts after seeing the new guy on ceefax, I was too tired and hot to post. According to the LET MH said its possible a new guy at days end (mon) and sure enough there was. This thread certainly gathered pace when I looked this morning... :lol:

As for Pong Benitez will keep him stringing along as long as it suits him like he did with Fowler... :ph34r: I hate that french fry!

Edited by roverroll

Other than Bellamy's move I haven't noticed a big signing by anyone this summer, OK Chelsea spent a fortune on Schevchenko and Ballack but that hardly counts as being in the real world. Now this will either change as the WC comes to a close or perhaps there is a new wind of realism blowing through the PL?

I'm unsure about Jeffers but pleased to see Roberts arrive and I suspect this is Hughes building a squad while continuing to look for that star, bums on seats, name, which is going to be so important if we are to bring the crowds back to Ewood. I don't believe the board have finished the summer's business yet and JW/TF will be painfully aware of the need to sign a crowd puller. As to who? I think we can only watch this space.

According to the media reports – rovers paid an amazing price of around just £1 million. Now that’s a bargain.

For those who are moaning for this signing think about it for 1 minute. He scored 14 goals whilst playing for Wigan. Now with a better team around him (No disrespect to Wigan) and a better group of coaching staff, you would only expect even better things of him.

Roberts has strength and pace and determination and with the right partner, they will bag more goals than our forwards did last season.

1 million is a bargain and that may be the reason why we havent disclosed it. It means we would have enough for 2 or possibly 3 more signings at a stretch. But I believe the fee will be closer to 2, even then its not paying over the odds for a decent player.

I don't think we would have paid 2 million for him. I seem to recall that Wigan offered us 1m + Roberts for Sav, the press then reported that they would come back with an improved offer of 3m.

I'd be extremely chuffed if it was the 1m as Hughesy states. My personal guess would be 1.5 million which will seem like extremely good business if we can get 1m for Kuqi

Didnt Wigan reject a £2m bid from Besiktas? Whty would they accept less from us?

well, knowing something all along and stringing the fans along aswell....is as good as a lie in my book. by not being honest with regard to the whole bellamy saga right from the beginning...sucks!!!!

Would you disclose contractual details of one of your best employees?

I bloody wouldn't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.