BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roberts Signs

Very interesting work by the board and Hughes.

In: Brown (Free), Jeffers (Free), Roberts (£1 million)

Out: Gresko (Free), Amoruso (Free), Dickov (Free) & Bellamy (£6.5 million)

So far we are around £5 million up, with what must be much less on the wage structure.

To think that we if Coventry rumours are correct that we could get £1 million for Kuqi, yet only have to spend £1 million on Roberts is top class business by JW and Hughes.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit that when I first saw this topic I thought:

"Oh no, not Robert (as in Laurent Robert)!!! I want him to go out of Benfica but not to Rovers". :P

the only prem ground where robert played well was..... ewood park! :angry:

roberts is a great signing. he might not be a prolific goalscorer, but he offers pace, power and is suberb at holding the ball up.

Monetary business yes, sporting business, yet to be seen.

But I think Rovers demonstrate that big money signings don't necessarily equate to success (Grabbi, Davies, Ward, Blake, and on and on), while also recently showing that limited budget signings can work out (Friedal, Nelsen, Zurab).

I'll reserve judgement on Jeffers - but think that Roberts is an excellent signing. If we have got him at £2m or less - then he is a bargain, especially if Kuqi goes (as rumoured) for £1m.

It seems that the transer fee remains undisclosed, although Roberts sale good business insists Jewell, reckon it is likely to have been 3 million. It is surely more likely to be around that region than the 1million that hughesy mentions above is being reported.

Jewell quote -

"'However, I felt the time was right for a move for both parties and Blackburn's offer represents a good deal for Wigan in my mind."

A rather paltry 1million for a 28 year-old Prem striker who has scored 43 goals in 103 appearances for the club wouldn't represent a "good deal" IMO.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Just got a paper and according to the star it also says £1 million.

Id be very suprised if we paid £3 million for a player who doesnt have long on his contract left, not willing to sign a new one, and speaking out about how the club has been disrespectful.

It seems that the transer fee remains undisclosed, although Roberts sale good business insists Jewell, reckon it is likely to have been 3 million. It is surely more likely to be around that region than the 1million that hughesy mentions above is being reported.

Jewell quote -

"'However, I felt the time was right for a move for both parties and Blackburn's offer represents a good deal for Wigan in my mind."

A rather paltry 1million for a 28 year-old Prem striker who has scored 43 goals in 103 appearances for the club wouldn't represent a "good deal" IMO.

Of course not, but he isn't likely to say that they got ripped off either.

Overall I'm happy with the signing. I wouldn't even consider him a replacement for Bellamy, but more the second striker in the partnership of whoever we get. Although, look how long it took before we got a decent striker after we sold Shearer and Sutton until we got Bellamy. Hoping for one more pacy striker to join us, after all we should have Jeffers / Gallagher / Derbyshire / Kuqi (if he doesn't end up at Cov) in reserve. Then we should definitely look at getting Neill to re-sign a new deal, and then start looking at strengthening other areas of our squad.

It doesn't really matter if he cost £2m or £3m does it? None of us will ever know. We don't even know what the bloody transfer budget is anyway - it could be £15m. I think £3m for a reasonably experienced Premiership striker that scored around 14 goals last season is a good deal in anybodys book.

Every time I saw Jason Roberts last season he impressed me. He played well against us last year, and he almost single-handedly destroyed Manchester United.

I still can't believe that people are seeing anything other than postitives out of yesterday. Roberts is better than any other striker we had last year barring Bellamy, Jeffers was free anyway, and we still allegedly have quite a large transfer fund left to get Bellers' replacement.

Let's leave it to Mark Hughes and the board, because they really do know what they're doing.

:rover:

Edited by ihateburnley

I still can't believe that people are seeing anything other than postitives out of yesterday. Roberts is better than any other striker we had last year barring Bellamy, Jeffers was free anyway, and we still allegedly have quite a large transfer fund left to get Bellers' replacement.

Let's leave it to Mark Hughes and the board, because they really do know what they're doing.

:rover:

Hear, hear!

I think that Roberts is a very good player, but presuming we are signing three new strikers, then eiether he or Jeffers is going to be a regular starter. If we were to bring in Mido, then I just don't think he and Roberts could play well alongside each other, which would make Jeffers the regular starter. This also puts usw in the same position as last season in that as soon as Mido gets injured, which he will do at some stage in the season, then we will have no real quality up front. That is presuming Mido is even contemplating joining!

If we could get these two and bring in another two top quality strikers then I would be ecstatic, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Edited by tcj_jones

I think that Roberts is a very good player, but presuming we are signing three new strikers, then eiether he or Jeffers is going to be a regular starter.

I think that's what's going wrong here. Too many people are presuming. Why can't we sign another two quality strikers? If a striker in the quality of Mido is going for roughly £4m, then if we have a warchest of £10m we can look forward to the future. I would seriously doubt whether Roberts OR Jeffers are depended on as a regular started in our first eleven next season. Here's to Ruud and Mido with Roberts on the bench!!!

A donkey hughes signed, his first Youri Djorkaeff. Also he missed his mls game for Metrostars/ Red Bull New York on the weekend because he had family commitments/problems. Too bad he had a photo taken of him at the frace vs brazil game which made its way back to Red Bull New York

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.