BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roberts Signs

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A donkey hughes signed, his first Youri Djorkaeff. Also he missed his mls game for Metrostars/ Red Bull New York on the weekend because he had family commitments/problems. Too bad he had a photo taken of him at the frace vs brazil game which made its way back to Red Bull New York

I remember he got a great assist on his debut for us....that's about all i remember of his stay however. It was Hughes first signing so shall we let him off with that one?

A donkey hughes signed, his first Youri Djorkaeff. Also he missed his mls game for Metrostars/ Red Bull New York on the weekend because he had family commitments/problems. Too bad he had a photo taken of him at the frace vs brazil game which made its way back to Red Bull New York

He came on a free when the transfer window was shut so Hughes couldn't really sign anyone, besides he had a couple of decent games and scored against, IIRC, Villa. Not really a donkey, just a short-term thing.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

"best in Premiership bar none SINCE 2001"

Grabbi was IN 2001.

Anyway, Roberts cost us £2m after Whelan knocked £1m off the asking price according to the Mirror.

You did not specify inclusive or not :P

Not a bad signing in Roberts, but not awe inspiring either. For a UEFA Cup finishing 6th team I find it very middle of the road.

I'm sure he will provide some goals, but as a replacement for Bellas... NAH.

I'm sure Hughes has got many more signings to come, but it doesn't shout confidence in repeating the performance of last season.

I reckon this is a good signing as Roberts was excellent last year. I see him as 1 of those centre forwards who scores a few and makes a few as well (like his uncle). An improvement on Kuqi certainly and then if we can bring in someone decent to replace Bellamy then we can have Kuqi and Jeffers in reserve as well as the youngsters. £2 isn't much to have spent on a player like this either considering that a few years ago we were spending twice that on Ashley Ward, should mean we have some money left to bring in someone else.

Jason Roberts hardly fills me with optimisn for next season but i suppose he did have a fairly good season next season. Lets hope he is the sort of man that likes to step up to the plate and prove he is good enough to play in the Uefa Cup like he said he's been dreaming of.

I'm just hoping that Fanny Jeffers and Roberts are not are only signings in the striker department as we need a replacement for Bellamy and if not we will be back down where we were pre-Bellamy, the bottom half of the table.

Pleased with the signing of Roberts. As a secondary striker I'm not sure we could have done much better. He seems a committed, powerful, quick and driven player- the sort who really fits with Sparky's ethic at the club. Nonetheless, as others have said, we need someone with a bit more raw predetory talent too.

That siad I have absolutely no doubt we will be signing one more striker. Mido would be ideal as he is quality and cheap leaving us with enough cash to get in another central midfielder and perhaps a left back.

From what Unleaded has said however it seems that the Egyptian doesn't really fancy blackburn and I would hate to have a player who is not interested in doing his best for the side. Beyond him we don't look like we have too many options- Baros is too expensive currently, Saviloa out of our reach, Heskey too rubbish, Nugent untried for a line leading player. Lets hope we unearth someone soonish. I would not be suprised if Hughes resurrected his interest in McCarthy. What's Miccoli up to? Another possible target.

Jeffers puzzles me a little, we already have Gallagher knocking that door on the periphary of the squad while Bentley can also do a job there. I suppose it is a long shot to see if Ed Ned can ressurect his form, and if he is being paid as he plays then it is hardly a risk.

I would hope we are one of the teams chasing Arca. And I wonder if we contine to monitor Dunn's situation? A pay as you play deal coud be beneficial for the club and the player, and take a hugely expensive player of Brum's books. All depends on the physical condition of the individual and his willingness to forsake a much more lucrative contract at City. What's happening with Jarosik? Another potentially great addition for central midfield. And of course Pennant would be ideal if Emerton leaves, which I hope he does!

As with the "transfer kitty" I would venture to suggest the LET figure will be correct. Andy Neild is unlikely to have specified a figure without knowing it is correct.

What's Miccoli up to? Another possible target.

He has a deal with Benfica and he is trying to solve his problems with Juventus, which is hard considering the situation Juve is in. Benfica is trying to get him for free.

well, knowing something all along and stringing the fans along aswell....is as good as a lie in my book. by not being honest with regard to the whole bellamy saga right from the beginning...sucks!!!!

July 2006 - "Good afternoon everyone, we've just signed Craig Bellamy, we got him on the cheap. However we'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that if he plays a blinder this season a Champions League club can buy him for a paltry £6 million quid. We're not happy about it but his agent insisted on the clause. We just thought we'd better bring it to your attention."

Happier now Blueboy?

Well, we would have Dunn, Derbyshire, Gally, Waggy, Steb, Bob Fleming, Cocker, den, you, me etc etc :o

You missed out James Beattie, joey_big_nose and USABlue. Other than that I can't think of any others. Jim Bowen? (probably too old now, he's catching Tugay up)

my baggies supporting boss is pissing himself - was not at all impressed with Roberts

I hope you asked him how many of their prolific strikers scored 14 goals last season? Still so long as he's happy. There's a lot to look forward to in the Championship. (try and keep a straight face here)

For what it's worth I'm very happy with the signing. As others have said he caused us and others problems last season. Thought he looked strong and held the ball up well. He scored the equaliser for the piemen against us back in April.

Edited by bob fleming

As with the "transfer kitty" I would venture to suggest the LET figure will be correct. Andy Neild is unlikely to have specified a figure without knowing it is correct.

The only thing I would say about the £10m, is that may be a figure to include wages.

No club could say to a manager - here's £10m to spend, don't worry about the cost of the contract.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.