BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Owen Has A Pop At The Idiot

i aint scapegoating or bandwaggoning,ive hated the spineless one since he shi@ on us and jack walker.

he is clueless col...taking unfit strikers,taking a boy and taking a wedge of midfielders and then playing unproven tactics seems a mark of a genius to me.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this scapegoating must get tired after a while

To me Owen sounds like his heart wasn't in it from the start, if he didn't believe in the Manager so strongly then he should have rejected going to the WC as part of his now soapbox stand.

Git

No player would ever do that.

No player would ever do that.

Well no PROFESSIONAL should ever come and and say what he did

Managers however bad they are, should at least get some respect.

When SGE got stitched up by new of the world he was quite rightfully criticised the same should go for Owen

All this scapegoating must get tired after a while

To me Owen sounds like his heart wasn't in it from the start, if he didn't believe in the Manager so strongly then he should have rejected going to the WC as part of his now soapbox stand.

Git

:wstu: .

Edited by jim mk2

Players aren't allowed to speak out at all, ever, about a manager?

I just don't understand the logic. Michael Owen is only human, he did his best for his country, despite having to play for someone who through his own incompetence hampered England's chances of progress. Who wouldn't have been frustrated in those circumstances.

Players are supporters too, why shouldn't they speak out after the event? Better that than to make things worse by refusing to play for the manager or rocking the boat while he is still in charge.

Well put it this way, it never ends in smiles and handshakes whichever direction the public criticism comes from

How can Maclaren go into his coaching role with the possibility of players not respecting him or wanting to play for him?

SGE is on his way out, why does Owen have to say anything now? He is blaming SGE for Englands downfall. Of course he has a massive responsibility but why does Owen not come out and blast his teamates for missing penalty after penalty?

To me it looks like a cheapshot on an outgoing manager in an attempt to once again shift 100% responsibility.

Are his thoughts on the mark about the tactics, yeh probably, does it really matter, not really, should he be a professional about it, absolutely.

Oh the threads that would be written if Sven comes out now and critisises the team performance in the penlty shooutout.

Managers are fans too.

Owen did criticise himself and his team-mates - but in a typically understated way.

He said something about how many of the England players don't replicate their club form for their country and he included himself in that (more for diplomatic reasons than anything else).

Owen did criticise himself and his team-mates - but in a typically understated way.

He said something about how many of the England players don't replicate their club form for their country and he included himself in that (more for diplomatic reasons than anything else).

But I think he blamed Sven for that mate

EDIT: Yes he did

Owen further put the boot in on Eriksson by hinting he was the reason the country's top players are not able to take their club form into the international arena. "There are too many players - myself included - who do not play as well for England as we do at club level," the Newcastle striker said.

Edited by neekoy

Not playing as well for England as for Newcastle? That conjures up the thought of some truly horrific performances in the white jersey.

Didn't SGE tell the fake sheikh Owen was unhappy at Newcastle? No doubt Owen had some explaining to do to FF after that came out. It might even have screwed up an Owen escape plot to get out of the loony Toons.

THis whole episode is about Owen getting even and has very little to do with the deeper interpretations going on here in my view.

Not playing as well for England as for Newcastle? That conjures up the thought of some truly horrific performances in the white jersey.

Didn't SGE tell the fake sheikh Owen was unhappy at Newcastle? No doubt Owen had some explaining to do to FF after that came out. It might even have screwed up an Owen escape plot to get out of the loony Toons.

THis whole episode is about Owen getting even and has very little to do with the deeper interpretations going on here in my view.

I wouldn't mind a striker playing poorly and scoring goals like he has at Newcastle (when he has been fit).

Neekoy, you've got some strange ideas about what "being professional" is.

To me, being professional is being as prepared as you can be for a game, ready to give your all.

Who cares about Steve bl00dy Mclaren. Owen is entitled to his views, and I think they are correct. Perhaps he wasn't asked about the penalty-taking, otherwise he would've criticised that as well. But then again if the tactics had been OK, penalties wouldn't have been necessary against Portugal.

As for Manager's being fans, Eriksson wasn't even English so I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

Owen's had his say and I was glad to hear it, because at least someone in the camp knew turnip Swede was doo-lally, so it's heartening to know for teh future. I don't think it's unprofessional in any way at all, and more power to his arm for speaking out.

Eddie, I forgot to add Pires and Guily wouldn't play for France because of the manager so there is precedent for players not to play

Bryan, I don't feel public criticism is professional coming from players or managers. Comments on outgoing coaches by players is even more distasteful, especially when it is the players themselves which must wear some blame.

My comments about managers being fans relates to above where it is said players have a right to speak out because they are fans. I noted the absolute pillocking that SGE would have recieved had he come out said how dissapointing the players were. Of course the coaches are fans too so is it right for them to make such comments? IMO, No.

I commend Owen for making his thoughts known BUT instead of waiting until the maanger is on his way out and having a shot why not take the stand before the WC? If you are going to stand up and be counted, why wait until the vote has already run?

Pires doesn't play because he wouldn't be selected anyway, while Guily also isn't someone Domenech wants to pick, with there being a long list of reasons why, which one you want to believe is up to you. Neither would have been professional, though I think speaking before SGE had left would have been even less professional.

I commend Owen for making his thoughts known BUT instead of waiting until the maanger is on his way out and having a shot why not take the stand before the WC? If you are going to stand up and be counted, why wait until the vote has already run?

Trying to influence the manager's tactics by criticising him in public before the biggest tournament in the World?

Now that is unprofessional in my book.

Can't be bothered arguing anymore, let's just agree to disagree.

Waste of time dissing the outgoing manager no matter how honest the sentiments are. What I'd find more refreshing and far more useful would be the honest views of Owen and the other senior players (even in anonymity) regarding the incoming one. :(

Trying to influence the manager's tactics by criticising him in public before the biggest tournament in the World?

Reminds me of the Roy Keane bust up with McCarthy. Some thought he was right to bring his dissatisfaction with McCarthy's preparation to the attention of the public but obviously many thought completely the opposite.

Just one thought - you know how a lot of players have come out of the woodwork to complain about the SOuey training regime AFTER he left, what would you think of a player who had the guts to make his point when Souey was still around?

Imo he would have been doing the fans a favour in highlighting a problem that the we would never have been aware of and might have forced improvement - possibly at the cost of his Rovers career.

As Michael Owen, he's obviously bitter after being subbed a couple of times. After being one of Sven's untouchables, it must have come as something of a shock.

Edited by rover6

Reminds me of the Roy Keane bust up with McCarthy. Some thought he was right to bring his dissatisfaction with McCarthy's preparation to the attention of the public but obviously many thought completely the opposite.

Just one thought - you know how a lot of players have come out of the woodwork to complain about the SOuey training regime AFTER he left, what would you think of a player who had the guts to make his point when Souey was still around?

Imo he would have been doing the fans a favour in highlighting a problem that the we would never have been aware of and might have forced improvement - possibly at the cost of his Rovers career.

Had Owen said this a year ago I would have thought of that as being fine, saying it during or just before the World Cup would have been wrong, just like I wouldn't want to see one of our players saying something before a big game.

I read today that a number of the England squad are releasing books soon (Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and others). I suspect we'll find out the real feeling of the players, or at least get a general idea, once all these are out.

Hope you reported him :D

I don't really go for that kind of thing, if it came from someone I actually respected I would worry but everyone is entitled to their opinion

With Zidane actions on top I guess we can't really except decent behaviour from even the most senior of participants these days

Sure :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.