BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Now Its Over

philipl

What?? Who posted first in this thread Abs? Australia crying was a high for you mate?

[Amongst other England excuses] ...the referee's were @#/?...

Sounds a lot like the excuse the Australian media have been cooking up, nevermind the English. ;)

Anyway, I thought it was a good World Cup. I suppose it helps a bit that there was a buzz in this country about it for once, [insert many curse words here]. I was also very impressed by Germany and Italy and I got to watch most of their matches. I hand-picked the matches rather than try to watch as many as I could, so I probably missed out on the dire affairs. Good thing. Plus I enjoyed learning a bit about Germany and its culture, especially since I do German history at uni.

Edited by James No. 7

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got back on Friday night, had a great time.

The days at the venues, Frankfurt, Nurembug, Koln, Stuttgart & Gelsenkirchen where excellent.

Good atmosphere all round, no trouble, good ale, good banter.

I've got to say though I found all of Englands games boring.

The atmosphere in the grounds wasnt as good, as can be, there was no spark from England.

I have to blame FIFA, the German public, Sven, and the players for this.

I also went to the Semi in Munich, France Vs Portugal.

Again atmosphere was ok, but I found the venues to be too full of supporters who had nothing to do with the two teams playing, this ruinied it for me.

Both participating teams had official ticket areas in two opposite corners of the ground.

It is wrong.

I enjoyed every moment - and that's what I wanted to do. It may well be that other people were just as determined not to enjoy it - up to each individual.

Good...and I certainly wasn't determined not to enjoy it. My feeling is modern media make it very difficult to enjoy a broadcast sports event. The event becomes unavoidable and the reporting is relentless both before and after. I'm sure I'd have a wonderful time if I went to the WC or the Euros, just as I do at Ewood and plenty of other sports events in which I have only a passing interest. The CWG in Manchester was fantastic, I watch international squash, had some great days at Wimbledon, enjoy an evening's sunshine at OT and can't wait for the C&G final. Being there is an enormous part of the enjoyment, just as, for me, the wall to wall media quickly distracts if one isn't there.

It was a crap World Cup, compared to some I can remember. No real feeling of emotion at all, not bothered by Englands predictable run and demise, Brazils lame surrender, Argentinas implosion, etcetera. Maybe it's actually just me and I'm becoming jaundiced by the whole thing. I blame the Premiership and Sky TV.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.