BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

It is indeed a great album (album of '06 for me actually), challenged only by their self-titled and Legion. The new guitarists, particularly Ralph Santolla, took them to a new level. Both Deicide and Cannibal Corpse came up with unexpected brilliance last year.

Though I am looking forward to the new Idlewild album. :) Hopefully it will be better than the last one.

It is indeed a great album (album of '06 for me actually), challenged only by their self-titled and Legion. The new guitarists, particularly Ralph Santolla, took them to a new level. Both Deicide and Cannibal Corpse came up with unexpected brilliance last year.

Though I am looking forward to the new Idlewild album. :) Hopefully it will be better than the last one.

From Deicide, Cannibal Corpse and Ralph Santolla's next level of transcedence to the distinctly un-metal Idlewild in one post. :blink:;)

Anyway, I got the new Incubus album a couple of weeks back. It's pretty good and follows the recent pattern of growing on you slowly but surely.

I also got Ray Charles's last album (Genius Loves Company) on sale from play.com. It's not as good as you would think, believe it or not.

Death metal is also good at scaring hippies away....

See South Park season 9 where Cartman plays Slayer to get rid of the hippie concert plaguing South Park.

It is, but Slayer is Thrash Metal sorry just me being picky...But that is a cracking episode! Nearly as good as where Cartman gets ginger hair

I don't understand Incubus. They have been billed as a metal band, yet all the singles I have heard from a couple of years ago were on a par with Toploader or Coldplay (e.g that first hit called something like 'Are You In?'). The exception was the one with the dancing Hitler video, which was a crap, nasal whine.

And another thing, there was a crap band called Hoobastank that had a tune which had someone being run over in the video. That song was a terrible rip off of Legacy by Mansun.

Anyway, I've dug up my old King Prawn CD, so I might give that a listen and remember when I went to Esquires when I was 18.

I don't understand Incubus. They have been billed as a metal band, yet all the singles I have heard from a couple of years ago were on a par with Toploader or Coldplay (e.g that first hit called something like 'Are You In?'). The exception was the one with the dancing Hitler video, which was a crap, nasal whine.

And another thing, there was a crap band called Hoobastank that had a tune which had someone being run over in the video. That song was a terrible rip off of Legacy by Mansun.

Anyway, I've dug up my old King Prawn CD, so I might give that a listen and remember when I went to Esquires when I was 18.

I see your point about Incubus being billed as a metal band but they are absolutely nothing like Coldplay or the God-awful Toploader.

I see your point about Incubus being billed as a metal band but they are absolutely nothing like Coldplay or the God-awful Toploader.

I like Incubus, new album is good but Crow Left To The Murder is far better.

The Hoobastank song u refer to is 'The Reason'

I actually think A Crow Left Of The Murder is weaker than Light Grenades, Make Yourself and Morning View. There are songs on the latter that I could listen to all day. I'd recommend their live DVD, Alive At Red Rocks. There are some excellent bonus tracks on an enclosed CD, including one from the Halo 2 soundtrack.

Edited by Rovermatt

Speak of the devil, I've been well into Make Yourself again recently and am listening to Morning View at this moment.

They certainly don't sound metal to me, but then the definitions of every genre are so sketchy and interchangable.

I had the impression a few years ago when I bought the albums that they were a deeply 'uncool' band to admit liking. I mean Limp Bizkit uncool. Yet every so often I find myself talking to people with a decent taste in music who like them. Are they actually deeply uncool or is that somewhat exaggerated?

Anyway, not a brilliant band - quite a bit of filler - but I think I could make a decent 'Best Of' which would be a good listen.

Speak of the devil, I've been well into Make Yourself again recently and am listening to Morning View at this moment.

They certainly don't sound metal to me, but then the definitions of every genre are so sketchy and interchangable.

I had the impression a few years ago when I bought the albums that they were a deeply 'uncool' band to admit liking. I mean Limp Bizkit uncool. Yet every so often I find myself talking to people with a decent taste in music who like them. Are they actually deeply uncool or is that somewhat exaggerated?

Anyway, not a brilliant band - quite a bit of filler - but I think I could make a decent 'Best Of' which would be a good listen.

They have always been a bit of a chicks rock band and never really taken seriously because of the screaming girly teen fanfare that normally accompanies their concerts.

However looking past that I think they have moved from Limp Bizkit cool to Linkin Park cool, you shouldn't actually admit you like them but downloading albums in the privacy of your home is probably acceptable.

I'll happily admit to liking them. I'm not sure that they are all that 'uncool'. As for Limp Bizkit, they are really sh*t and I still despair of the phase I went through where I thought they were really cutting edge.

Thankfully I never got caught out by that, but I've still got a few cringeworthy memories from around 2000-2002 time. :ph34r:

Thankfully I never got caught out by that, but I've still got a few cringeworthy memories from around 2000-2002 time. :ph34r:

Oh and Papa Roach and Taproot were up there too. Admittedly they had one or two good songs but the vast majority were faux-angsty nonsense.

Oh and Papa Roach and Taproot were up there too. Admittedly they had one or two good songs but the vast majority were faux-angsty nonsense.

Oh yes, Papa Roach's Infest still sits, aherm, proudly in my CD collection - I've a policy of not trading any albums in just so I can look back on my own folly. I got suckered by Papa Roach's first two singles ripping off Iron Maiden lead parts - not that I recognised that at the time of course - but I still managed to convince myself for a few months that I was enjoying the album, and that the lyrics weren't absolute comedy gold. "Take your money, burn it up like an asteroid." Ohhhh yeah. :lol:

I have my fair share of albums that now sit proudly on my shelf as cds that I will never listen to again and can't believe that I ever wasted money on; though I must admit that Limp Bizkit is probably towards the top of that list.

I went thru the Limp Bizkit stage at college too. 'Break Stuff' 'Rearranged' etc off Significant Other were brilliant songs, but cant remember if the latter was off Chocolate Starfish?. I had a Limp Bizkit vs Wheatus play-off at college, Wheatus really were pants

Incubus, got their albums but there is no real change between albums.

I went thru the Limp Bizkit stage at college too. 'Break Stuff' 'Rearranged' etc off Significant Other were brilliant songs, but cant remember if the latter was off Chocolate Starfish?. I had a Limp Bizkit vs Wheatus play-off at college, Wheatus really were pants

Incubus, got their albums but there is no real change between albums.

Wheatus' cover of A Little Respect was great!

Don't me wrong though, i'm not a fan :P

Edited by Jimmy Jupiter

Oh yes, Papa Roach's Infest still sits, aherm, proudly in my CD collection - I've a policy of not trading any albums in just so I can look back on my own folly. I got suckered by Papa Roach's first two singles ripping off Iron Maiden lead parts - not that I recognised that at the time of course - but I still managed to convince myself for a few months that I was enjoying the album, and that the lyrics weren't absolute comedy gold. "Take your money, burn it up like an asteroid." Ohhhh yeah. :lol:

Ooooooooooh Papa Smurf, that must hurt. Hated them from the moment I first saw them. All that effing designer depression marketed to saddo 16 year olds got me riled. Real depression is not something to celebrate. Mike Patton would murder those jokers on stage.

Mike Patton...that reminds me.

Mike Patton hates Wolfmother. Heh heh, stick it to 'em, Mike. :lol:

Anyway, today I bought Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun by Red Sparowes. There's nothing quite like that brand of instumental post-rock that makes you feel like the world is coming to an end before your very eyes and all you can do is sit back, watch and feel slightly saddened by the whole thing. :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.