BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Astronomy For Dogs - the debut album by "The Aliens" is a real listen. Best new album of the year so far.

Also been listening to "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic - gonna have to check more stuff my these and Parliament!

Welcome to the Mothership Connection, mate! Parliament/Funkadelic have some real quality albums. If you liked Maggot Brain, have a go at Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove and Uncle Jam Wants You. As far as Parliament, have a bash at Mothership Connection and Motor Boogy Affair. Then the George Clinton album Computer Games that has the all-time classic Atomic Dog is always worth a listen. Many good tunes from these guys.

I got to meet Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Bernie Worrell and some of the Brides of Funkenstein. Those were some strange conversations....

For all you youngsters, using the modern day marvel that is youtube, check out these fantastic tracks from the real eighties....

Killing Joke - Pssyche

UK Decay - Werewolf

King Kurt - Wreck a Party Rock

Southern Death Cult - False Faces

The Danse Society - Hide

Discharge - State Violence State Control

The Replacements - @#/?s of Young

REM - South Central Rain

Hüsker Dü - Eight Miles High

Hüsker Dü - Could You Be The One

Nineties too....

Teenage Fanclub - Star Sign

Melvins - Revolve

Lemonheads - My Drug Buddy

Call me an ole fuddy duddy but contemporary bands don't even get close....

Does anyone like New Rave music?? Bands like SHITDISCO, Klaxons, Young Knives etc.

Think its fair good, going to see Klaxons in May

Is that the genre they've been thrown into? What's that reference anyway?

Not big on SHITDISCO, but I do like Klaxons. Never heard of Young Knives, though...

I dont know much about them or even if they are still going but I have been listening to The Shore this week. They arnt amazing but I am enjoying their tunes.

Those of you that know what music I like and are into the same sort of thing willl also like them :tu:

Edited by Cocker

Cocker, have you had a listen of that Roddy Woomble solo album yet? What were your thoughts?

Finally got this. Its not what I expected - bit Irishy in parts if you know what I mean but I dont mind what I have heard so far.

What I like to put with my Sunday Morning/Dinner Party collection :tu:

Does anyone like New Rave music?? Bands like SHITDISCO, Klaxons, Young Knives etc.

Think its fair good, going to see Klaxons in May

Yeah big fan of Klaxons, I'm also going to see them in May

I wouldn't really class the young knives as indie rave. Just think there okay to be honest. They did a pretty funny cover of 'kids in america!'

2 of my top bands at the moment. I am mates with the bass player in The Enemy, went to school with him.

Loads of top Indie/Rock talent coming through now :rover:

The Wombats

The Maccabees

Little Man Tate

The Holloways

The Pigeon Detectives

Seen the Maccabeess and the pigeon detectives live, both pretty decent.

Anyone heard Arcade Fire's or Kings of Leon's new albums? Both absolute qulity!

Kings of Leon's latest is absolute class. Not better than their first, but definitely better than their second.

And keep those local bands coming. I've seen a few posted that I like and will try and catch while there, if at all possible...

KILLING JOKE!!!!

Possibly the best band of the last 3 decades (IMHO). I've even got my 9yo listening to Requiem and The Wait on his MP3 Player.

How can you not like a band that has an album released in 1980 called "Killing Joke" that is then possibly surpassed in 2003 by an album called "Killing Joke"?

Implant - "tear up your ID cards and shove em up your arse - all you want to do is f**king control". SUPERB.

Unfortunately Jaz aint a well guy but they still put out another awesome album last year. Hope they can tour soon. For any of you modern "punks" or anyone inot serious rock check em out.

By the way, Dave Grohl (ex Nirvana and Foo Fighters front man) repaid KJ for stealing the Eighties riff (on teen spirit) by playing drums on the 2003 KJ album - how is that for homage?

Saw Idlewild at Hammersmith last week. Absolutely brilliant, as always. Almost sexual.

Speaking of Idlewild. I really wanted to stick 100 Brocken Windows on my MP3 last night and I just couldnt find the cd anywhere. Found all the rest bar that one. Up in the loft for me this weekend to dig through the rubbish I stick up there to see if it got lost in with them by mistake (the Mrs cd's mainly - there is nothing worse than someone coming round and saying "I didnt know you were into Jason Donavan"

As for Idlewild. I have seen them Live once at Leeds and I am sure Mr Womble was smashed out of his tree

Speaking of Idlewild. I really wanted to stick 100 Brocken Windows on my MP3 last night and I just couldnt find the cd anywhere. Found all the rest bar that one. Up in the loft for me this weekend to dig through the rubbish I stick up there to see if it got lost in with them by mistake (the Mrs cd's mainly - there is nothing worse than someone coming round and saying "I didnt know you were into Jason Donavan"

As for Idlewild. I have seen them Live once at Leeds and I am sure Mr Womble was smashed out of his tree

That CD should be treasured! Pah, and I bet you haven't listened to Roddy's solo work yet either, have you? ;)

That CD should be treasured! Pah, and I bet you haven't listened to Roddy's solo work yet either, have you? ;)

I know it should be trasured but when you have so many cd's and the Mrs is trying to "CLEAN UP" there isnt much you can do. Still havent found it by the way but then again, I still havent been into the loft where all of her cd's are.

Also, check the previous page for my Roddie solo musings :tu:

I dont know if this has been mentioned - click

What does everyone think?

Personally, I think that its not a very good album - very cheesy indeed.

If it is to go ahead then I dont think that Oasis will do a track like the article says but I do think that Noel will and it will be Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - this is just my own musing of course

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.