BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

I've been playing Cherry Ghost's debut album "thirst for romance". I'm not one for hyperbole but this is of the very best debut of the decade to date -a real gem, up there with other great debuts of the last 7 years such as those by Turin Brakes and The Magic Numbers

All great tunes on the LP but the best is "dead man's suit" A melancholy tune out of the very top draw, it really is spellboundally beautifully, just listen to it

“none of these roads are ever going to lead to your door….”

I rate it 9.5/10

Øyafestivalen 2007 coming up, with Tool, Roky Erickson and the Explosives (yay!), Nine Inch Nails, Primal Scream and a host of the best bands in Norway playing. It'll be party from Tuesday till Saturday, with a small break to see The Rolling Stones on the Wednesday.

It will most likely set back any plans of going over for the first game of the season too, financially speaking.. but I guess some sacrifices must be made.

Looking forward to it anyway.

I've been playing Cherry Ghost's debut album "thirst for romance". I'm not one for hyperbole but this is of the very best debut of the decade to date -a real gem, up there with other great debuts of the last 7 years such as those by Turin Brakes and The Magic Numbers

All great tunes on the LP but the best is "dead man's suit" A melancholy tune out of the very top draw, it really is spellboundally beautifully, just listen to it

“none of these roads are ever going to lead to your door….”

I rate it 9.5/10

I saw them live a couple of weeks ago at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. They were great, and People Help the People has to be my single of the year so far.

I saw them live a couple of weeks ago at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. They were great, and People Help the People has to be my single of the year so far.

Not got the album yet, but if that songs anything to go by it'll be a cracker

Also enjoying Maximo Park, Reverend and the Makers and Biffy Clyros latest efforts

Saw The Police last night (insert criminal joke here). Pretty good - they did different versions of a lot of the songs, some worked, a few didn't. All in all a fun show full of the hits.

Sting's son's band opened. Musically they were good, but the lyrics were pretty crappy.

Just reread the first post in this thread, finding The Strokes "Is this it" amongst the top 50 albums ever ? :lol:

What's next, Linkin Park?

And yes, I am bored to death.

How can you possibly mention Linkin Park in the same sentence as The Strokes. :o

'Is This It' is a superb album.

Hardly anything to put on your CV though, is it? The Strokes isn't all that bad, and I quite enjoy the "Is this it"-album, for a month or two anyway. But they didn't change the music enough to earn a place on that list in my opinion, just because some executive pr1ck decided to gather a bunch of goodlooking, halfdecent musicians and hype them like the next Beatles.

The first Linkin Park album blows. The Reanimation follow-up was excellent. The second studio album was ok while their collaborations with Jay-Z and Mike Shinoda's Fort Minor side project are very, very good. I didn't bother with the newest album since the first release was a piece of sh*t.

It's ok matt...we won't judge you for liking them.

I don't particularly like them. Only to the extent that I outlined above.

Anyway, Linkin Park's qualities (or lack thereof) are irrelevant here. The main point is that The Strokes suck and are fuelled by the hype of publications such as the monstrous NME.

Edited by Rovermatt

'The Strokes are absolutely p!ss' is what you mean surely?

No.

The strokes are a great band, who cares if they are hyped up. No one takes notice of the NME anyway!

Many people can simply formulate an opinion based on music alone.

No.

The strokes are a great band, who cares if they are hyped up. No one takes notice of the NME anyway!

Many people can simply formulate an opinion based on music alone.

is this it is a great album, not sure if it's "one of the best albums etc..." but i think it definitely changed the way many bands form their melodies. the same goes for the monotone singing by julian casablancas.

i agree about the NME Macky. waste of money. bring back the melody maker!

Hardly anything to put on your CV though, is it? The Strokes isn't all that bad, and I quite enjoy the "Is this it"-album, for a month or two anyway. But they didn't change the music enough to earn a place on that list in my opinion, just because some executive pr1ck decided to gather a bunch of goodlooking, halfdecent musicians and hype them like the next Beatles.

It depends what you define as changing music, The Strokes, without question, opened the door for a huge number of bands at the start of the decade, therefore influenced what type of music was pushed forward by labels. Whether said bands were any good or what the strokes did next does not matter one jot, that's what happened of the back of them.

Then again, there's plenty of real bands around playing the same type of music, and has done for years.

The Strokes might've changed how the men in suits approached new bands, but if you're making a list of albums changing music in general, they don't deserve a thought in my opinion. But I'm biased in this, so won't bother to debate further.

The Rolling Stones are still kings of rock'n'roll.

The Rolling Stones are still kings of rock'n'roll.

Elvis Presley is the undoubted King of Rock and Roll. With Elvis, there would be no Rolling Stones, no Beatles, no Doors, no Led Zepp, nothing.

Every Ipod shoud have Elvis's greatest hits on it. It should come pre-installed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.