BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

I read this article on Sunday in the Observer and understood it to be a list of the 50 albums that most changed music, rather than the best 50 albums. I spend much of Sunday muttering about how cross I was that the Kinks weren’t in the list. I think they have had loads of influence on modern English pop music and you can trace their influence through the Jam, the Smiths, Billy Bragg, Pulp, Blur, Oasis and the Arctic Monkeys.

I’ve got 16 of the 50.

Absolutley. Pop bands like The Who and The Kinks who started adding aggression to their rhythm instruments (and stopped using just to hold everything in place) went a long way to influencing the sort of bands I listen to.

---

Plug in Baby - yeah, its a very good intro (and song).

Absolutley. Pop bands like The Who and The Kinks who started adding aggression to their rhythm instruments (and stopped using just to hold everything in place) went a long way to influencing the sort of bands I listen to.

---

Plug in Baby - yeah, its a very good intro (and song).

Am I seeing things or have you actually agreed, for once, on something with me?

Best intro Alternative Ulster by Stiff Little Fingers, Hanging Around by The Stranglers (Hammond Organ Flops!) or of course anything by Pearl Jam.

Oh and just to add another Hammond Organ song, Riders on the Storm by The Doors.

I would also take issue with "Rock" band

Didnt really want to get on with that sort of thing again mate (as we have been round and round before and got nowhere)

Just wondered what people would have in their list

(Stop the Clocks is rumoured to be a cracking tune too)

Here's mine in no particular order:-

Flashbax

Let's All Make Believe

Whatever

Eyeball Tickler

Rock 'n' Roll Star

Columbia

Live Forever

Supersonic

Slide Away

Cigarettes & Alcohol

Don't look back in anger

Morning glory

Wonderwall

Champagne supernova

Dyou Know What I Mean?

Fade In-Out

Go Let It Out

Gas Panic!

Turn Up The Sun

The Importance Of Being Idle

The Masterplan

Talk Tonight

Stay Young

Round Our Way

Acquiesce

Edited by Cocker

If an Oasis greatest hits album was picked on how good the songs are rather than singles that were released it would be all of Definitely Maybe taking up one of the CDs!

I knew I shouldnt have said anything. I was 100% certain of such a comment coming back ;)

Cocker, sounds like another Masterplan album really. I suspect I will have all the tracks on albums and the singles already.

Like particularly these choices of yours...

Slide Away

Go Let It Out

Gas Panic!

The Importance Of Being Idle

Plus

Little By Little

Keep the Dream ALive

Stand by me

All Round The World

Another great intro to a song is "Where the streets have no name"....U2

Many many moons ago, i saw a video of a U2 gig in a big sports stadium in Ireland (somewhere??)

The concert opened up with an elongated organ (oo-err :blink: ) intro of the above song...when the drums & bass beat came in, the whole stadium (not just the front) was bouncing to the beat, whilst Bono shouted "up! up! up!".

The whole thing gave me goose-pimples. :tu:

That was U2 at their best.

*also the entire promo video (L.A rooftop) is worth a watch on Youtube*

Noel said the day that Oasis are finished is the day they release a "greatest hits" album....thats why they've cleverly named this new album "Stop the Clocks...the definative collection"

Difficult to pick 18 songs for the album...

A few of my favourites:

Slide Away

Columbia

Be Here Now

Aquiesce

Go let it out

I can see a liar

Live Forever

Supersonic

Magic Pie

Rock n Roll Star

A bell will ring

Lyla

Some might say

Whatever

Who feels love

Turn up the sun

The masterplan

Angel Child

Just seen this - click

Just thinking that it would be pretty hard to choose your fav Oasis songs (queue the oasis are rubbish posts from dan_mark_furness & Radagast) as its not only songs from the albums but also bsides.

Anyone like to give it a go?

Why would I say a word against them when I have every single album and 2 live DVD's?

they still aint as good as Bellamy and co though :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.