BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Then again, there's plenty of real bands around playing the same type of music, and has done for years.

The Strokes might've changed how the men in suits approached new bands, but if you're making a list of albums changing music in general, they don't deserve a thought in my opinion. But I'm biased in this, so won't bother to debate further.

The Rolling Stones are still kings of rock'n'roll.

I agree on the Stones.

Not to sure who you are refering to as 'real bands' around 2001 though, my memory of music around then is of a fairly grim time of either English Bed-wetters (travis, Coldplay etc) or American garbage (Papa Roach, Korn etc), whether you think 'is this it' was the second coming, or whether the strokes were just trendies pushed by suits is irrelevant, after the Strokes the focus was shifted in a whole new direction, see the pandemonium that The White Stripes were greeted with by all sections of the British media (remember theywere on their third album then but only broke after the Strokes), following Is This It there was a massive influx of new bands, some good some garbage, from all parts of the globe, therefore changed music.

You musn't associate change with good, in my opinion Nirvana changed music though there success spawned some pretty dismal bands, that doesn't meen they didn't change Music.

Edited by tucker

You musn't associate change with good, in my opinion Nirvana changed music though there success spawned some pretty dismal bands, that doesn't meen they didn't change Music.

I agree, many bands influence change, but not neccessarily a good one. Also, many think that Nirvana/grunge led to the Brit-Pop era. I think it all leads on. Especially between our music and America's. At the moment i'd say we're in a peak of British music. So watch out for depressed teenagers in black t-shirts in the near future :blink:

Elvis Presley is the undoubted King of Rock and Roll. With Elvis, there would be no Rolling Stones, no Beatles, no Doors, no Led Zepp, nothing.

Every Ipod shoud have Elvis's greatest hits on it. It should come pre-installed!

I meant to say kings of rock and roll anno 2007, on the road or in the studio as we speak. Which means no Beatles, no Doors, no Led Zeppelin and no Elvis.

Incidentally, on Thursday I believe it's 30 years since he died.

As for the Strokes, sure they changed what bands were on the hit lists at that time, but changed music??

Doesn't matter, I guess I just object to the fact that The Strokes has released one of the top 50 albums ever, with about twenty of my favourite bands no where near the list simply because they are underground favourites.

anyone going to any gigs in the coming months? i'm seeing the following..

go! team at the manchester ritz

lcd soundsystem at the manchester apollo

arcade fire at the MEN arena

the verve at blackpool empress ballroom

interpol at blackpool empress ballroom

Ooo I fancy Interpol and LCD Soundsystem...I'll have to keep an eye out for them...

There are a lot of samey indie bands around at the mo, such as The Cribs, The View, Pidgeon Detectives and so on. They all merge into one for me. Same for those 'heartfelt' singer-songwriter chaps with acoustic gituars like James Morrison-Blunt, Daniel Powter etc.

And I can't stand those frigging Lilly Allen types who all drop all the le'urs in a midduw of words, an' sahnd like 'is. Kate Nash is one example of this. Lilly Allen is bad enough,without crappy copycats.

At least I hear Rammstein are back in the studio. And I can listen to Angel Dust at my leisure.

At least I hear Rammstein are back in the studio. And I can listen to Angel Dust at my leisure.

Rammstein!! Great live act if you've not already seen them. Saw them before they got big here in the states as an opening act for KMFDM. Great show that was...

I was quite disappointed with Rosenrot though. Still, it could be worse, they could have let My Chemical Toilet do a cover of Du Hast.

yeah I heard that wasn't a good album so I didn't bother. Although if i see it on the bargain bin I'll probably pick it up.

I've been a bit behind on the Industrial front as of late. Any good artists out there I should keep my eyes open for?

And I can't stand those frigging Lilly Allen types who all drop all the le'urs in a midduw of words, an' sahnd like 'is. Kate Nash is one example of this. Lilly Allen is bad enough,without crappy copycats.

Drives me bloody mad, is it 'Estuary English' ? Radio One presenters who say 'Birminnum' or 'Nottinnum'. Didn't becomes 'Di unt'.

Must be my age.

Music ? Indulging myself on Limewire the other night ended up with an old KLF number 'Grim Up North'. Blackburn isn't mentioned !

Preston, Burnley, Accrington, Chorley however.... :lol:

Drives me bloody mad, is it 'Estuary English' ? Radio One presenters who say 'Birminnum' or 'Nottinnum'. Didn't becomes 'Di unt'.

Must be my age.

Oh yes I hate it too. That fool Colin Murray is bloody everywhere, spreading the Northern Irish penchant for saying things like 'I hada seen', 'I had went', 'woulda saw' and 'I done' around like wildfire. The man is a moron yet still he gets work.

Edited by Rovermatt

Music ? Indulging myself on Limewire the other night ended up with an old KLF number 'Grim Up North'. Blackburn isn't mentioned !

Preston, Burnley, Accrington, Chorley however.... :lol:

We used to love that line "Chester, Chorley, Cheadle Hulme..."

There are a lot of samey indie bands around at the mo, such as The Cribs, The View, Pidgeon Detectives and so on. They all merge into one for me.

I can possibly see how you get The Cribs and The Pigeon Detectives mixed up. The Cribs have more heavy guitar sounds though. The View, well there the ones you can't even make out what they are saying, they're okay nothin special though.

The Cribs are awesome though and The Pigeon Detectives album is decent as well.

The Cribs are awesome though and The Pigeon Detectives album is decent as well.

Both awesome bands with amazingly good albums.

I wouldn't say it was all samey indie, but then again every older generation says that the current music sounds the same, etc. Maybe i listen to the songs in too much detail but i can tell them all apart instantly :unsure: . I can see where your coming from though, i think the same about dance tunes, but i still like them.

Edited by modes98

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Leeds festival and the Pigeon detective were playing. I have to say they were pretty good live.

Also saw:

The shins would I was pretty impressed with

The twang - pretty poor really IMO

Dinasour Jr - loud as ever but quality all the same

The view were really good live

RHCP - very good although they didn;t play much of the old stuff :angry:

All in all a very good day though and the weather stayed fine :rover:

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yes I hate it too. That fool Colin Murray is bloody everywhere, spreading the Northern Irish penchant for saying things like 'I hada seen', 'I had went', 'woulda saw' and 'I done' around like wildfire. The man is a moron yet still he gets work.

Heres me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Murrays weaker like

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.