BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Or a similar note, I have been listening to Ziggy Stardust repeatedly for the last 10 days, and have to say it is the best album of all time. Well, not all time, but the best Bowie album. Stunning piece of work.

Some of the posters on here will be wondering where do get this album. His new material following success with 'Northern Line'.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question......can anybody tell me the name of the artist & song for the new ipod video thing? Some bird in a blue top singing on it.

I was looking at this thread a few weeks back and the link to the "top 50 most influential albums" of all time. Of course we can argue the toss about that from now until the first cowed-landing on mars but the list struck me as surprisingly "arty" and very much a pet-view of the author favourite bands. So after thinking about it I decided that there were some glaring omissions .............

Sex Pistols - NMTB. How can the Clash's London Calling be in the top50 most influential with no mention of NMTB? Its just crazy. The Pistols influenced a whole generation spawning more bands and genres that anything since the start of RnR. I know that people will talk about The New York Dolls and The Ramones but ............. comeone thats just complete ######!

Crass - Feeding of the 5000 / Stations of the Crass. OK so werent mozart but this band have been tremendously influential in music and politics. So much activism was a direct result of kids listening to their message. The whole Stop the City campaign (and the years of anti-globalisation protests that followed) are down to Crass. And although I can now laugh at some of their rants, they were surprisingly perceptive of lifestyle trends in many of their messages - consumerism; celebrity cults; etc - as well as the the depressing political landscape that we had/have in this country - "LEFT WING RIGHT-WING YOU CAN STUFF THE LOT" "DO THEY OWE US A LIVING? OF COURSE THEY F*****G DO!"

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (1980) / Killing Joke (2003). For those that like it dark, heavy and loud! Still producing the goods after nearly 30 years. The last 2 albums are possibly as good as anything they have produced. KJ have influenced so many bands its unbelieveable - from Metallica to Nirvana. And Jaz Coleman continues to staddle the line being genius and maniacal derangement! Their first 1980 album still stands as a masterpience after 27 years. However I found this quote on t'net about their 2003 albums and I couldnt agree more .....

"The new eponymous Killing Joke album is an awesome reaffirmation of the primal raw power that made the band's name way back in the post punk years. It's a dark, dangerous, feral piece of work - precision production, and powered by some incredible drumming from Dave Grohl. It restates just what a rock album should sound like in 2003 and, sound-wise, is the yardstick for every rock band in the world to measure themselves against."

HAHAHAHA THOUGHT YOU WAS ...i dont know anyone who got one

A guy at work swears he can get 4 tickets for the big Ricky Hatton fight coming up. He says he`ll sell two to some desperate manc & it`ll pay for his entire trip over to watch the fight himself.

Exciting stuff, too bad there's no chance of getting a ticket.

In the meantime, I'm listening a lot to Jethro Tull's Aqualung album lately, does anyone know what other albums I should buy?

Roky Erickson

The Cynics

Baby Woodrose

Flaming Sideburns

Fu Manchu

plus various Norwegian gigs from now till Christmas. Happy days!

Exciting stuff, too bad there's no chance of getting a ticket.

In the meantime, I'm listening a lot to Jethro Tull's Aqualung album lately, does anyone know what other albums I should buy?

Roky Erickson

The Cynics

Baby Woodrose

Flaming Sideburns

Fu Manchu

plus various Norwegian gigs from now till Christmas. Happy days!

Roky Erickson's a strange dude. he had a bit of a revival a few years ago, but he's not right in the head. Poor guy tries his best to be a public person again but I don't think it's sticking. He always looked like he wanted to be under a bridge rather than stand on a podium and be introduced. 13th Floor Elevators did put out some good music, though....if you're into that whole Psychadelica kinda thing...

"If only I can stop these noises in my head I will be happy".. I know what you mean. Electro shock treatment will do that to you...

But he's still a magnificent musician, his solo material is amazing. I saw him at Roskilde Festival in July, and in Oslo in August, and he was a remarkably better performer on stage - just from those two months of touring. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing him in December here again. (he seems to have taken his Scandinavian fan base to his heart)

Currently listening too the new Ian Brown album - you always know what your going to get from him - quality stuff. Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes his previous stuff

You are dead right when you say you know what you are going to get from Ian Brown, and I agree that is a good thing in his case. I have just had my first listen of the album and wasn't disappointed, typical IB but taken to a new level with an excellent infusion of orchestral sound.

His best solo album? It's up there.

Edited by mjs

I went to watch the Enemy last night at Manchester Apollo.. If I'm honest I wasn't looking forward to it at all but it wasn't actually that bad. They sounded abit like the The Jam with a couple of songs they sang which is always a bonus in my book but I have to say I was quite surprised that I enjoyed it. One song that stood out to me was 'We'll live and die in these towns.'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.