BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

I went to the Oxfam shop in Manchester yesterday, bought a birthday card, stuck a couple of quid in the Bangladeshi flood appeal box and picked up a CD by "Mull Historical Society."

One of the best I've heard for ages. It's on now.

I love Mull Historical Society the album Loss is stonkinly good.The songs are so infectious and melodic.Esp the songs Animal Cannibus and watching Xanidu.

The "Dropkick Murphys" hail out of Boston (USA, not Lincolnshire)

A bit like The Pogues on steroids.

So if you fancy a bit of that.....................

I don't know if anyone remembers Three Colours Red.

I thought they were a good band.

Their drummer died last week, he was Keith Baxter a nice guy who I was proud to know.

Anyway if you haven't heard of them there are a couple of their tracks on Youtube.

My favourites are 'This is my Hollywood' and 'Nuclear Holiday'.

Their drummer died last week, he was Keith Baxter a nice guy who I was proud to know.

Anyway if you haven't heard of them there are a couple of their tracks on Youtube.

Wow 3 colours red.I remember them.There song 50 mile smile was everywhere when i was younger.

Wow 3 colours red.I remember them.There song 50 mile smile was everywhere when i was younger.

I thought they were a bit ahead of their time.

By coincidence I met a number of people from that era who made a living as drummers. Also I know some people who make a living as musicians. These people are not all connected.

Considering I don't have a music background I have always thought that a bit strange.

I remember them, i saw them about 3 or 4 times in the 90's, i met them too at leeds festival 1999 ,thats sad news to hear. They were quite exciting to hear and i enjoyed their music.

Edited by starscascade

Has anyone seen those commercials on Sky Sports channels, advertising the sporting events which they will be showing this year? There is a famous piece of classical music that goes with it. Does anyone know what it is called so I can download it? It is really pretty epic.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see the cribs last night at Manchester academy, very good, but the highlight of the evening was them being joined on stage by Johnny Marr and doing The Smiths classic Panic.

Saw Richard hawley on Friday night in Hebdon Bridge, 200 seater picture house with no ale. Still the gig was good.

I've just been playing some Captain Beefheart. I can't beleive it's 40 years old. Please will someone else tell me that he still matters.

Closer to 2008....... "Editors" it's a bit "pomp rock" but by god what a voice that bloke has.

Closer to 2008....... "Editors" it's a bit "pomp rock" but by god what a voice that bloke has.

I loved there second single(i think it was there second) Munich.They're very Joy Division'ish(not a bad thing) esp the song Smokers outside the hospital.

Edited by Nelsta

I've just been playing some Captain Beefheart. I can't beleive it's 40 years old. Please will someone else tell me that he still matters.

Oh don't worry Colin, he does.

Whenever my friends and I get together (at least every weekend) Tropical Hot Dog Night inevitably gets played several times. The neighbours are probably sick of it, but we're not yet.

If you haven't heard it give it a listen, it's impossible not to feel happier after it.

Colin-Stephen Fry once said when he was a lot younger, he thought Captain Beefheart was actually Captain Bee Fart.

Made me laugh!

Mind you I just spent the evening in Up Holland, next door to Richard Ashcofts mum and dads so anything is possible tonight.

Edited by ozziejones

Following Muse's 2 nights at the new Wembley Stadium last summer, the band are delighted to announce that they will be releasing a CD / DVD package documenting the weekend. Released on 17 March, it will contain an audio CD from the Saturday night and a DVD with footage from the Sunday night. More information will come very soon!

I picked up Lupe Fiasco's The Cool last week and it's very, very good. It's a different (and, in my opinion, slightly inferior) record to his debut Food & Liquor but that set the bar so high, it would be difficult to reach it again.

Agreed! Pretty good album!

Quite into the courteeners at the moment.

Have got Reverend and the Makers on at the moment - I like it allot

Got this a week or two ago-not too bad, better than I expected. My two favourite songs at the moment, are The Angry Mob, Kaiser Chiefs which is melodically, sonically and lyrically brilliant, and Hey Man by The Eels, just for feel good factor!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.