BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Forgot all about Turbonegro both on the "best intro" and "best album" discussion. Not sure how big they've become in the UK, they are legends in Norway and has had major success all over Europe, especially in Germany. Some clips on youtube, poor sound though.

Best intro for me has to be either Age of Pamparius or Prince of the Rodeo, or really any other song with Turbonegro's Knut "Euroboy" Schreiner on guitar. Radagast and other selfclaimed (?) rockers, you should really check this out if you haven't already. (doesn't sentences like that put you off though? annoying innit? ;) )

Edited by herbergeehh

Yet they make tunes that are 50 times better than anything M use have done. Go figure.

I disagree. But even so that has little to do with technical ability. Oasis are possibly the best three-chord band in the world.

It is the worlds most horrible argument as it has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the music, but anybody who can seriously suggest that Oasis are a 'technically' better band than M use are just silly.

In all honestly, without being a hardcore fan, I think M use sh*te all over Oasis in every respect; The music, their live show, their image/coolness, and of course, musicianship.

Ps... Cocker, my comment about the promo CD was intended to be a sly dig at the half hit wonder Scumbags from Manchester.

I've never seen either live, so in that respect I can't comment, but for me one area where Oasis are certainly better than M.use is in the song writing. They have written songs of the quality M.use can only dream of, and for me that is the most important part.

It is the worlds most horrible argument as it has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the music, but anybody who can seriously suggest that Oasis are a 'technically' better band than M use are just silly.

No-one has.

Whether you like Oasis or not, the fact is that whenever a "Greatest Albums Ever" poll appears both Definately Maybe and What's the Story (Morning Glory) always feature prominantly. I'm sure that will still be the case in 10, 20 or how ever many years you care to mention. I can't remember ever seeing a M use album in there (and I do quite like M use and own 2 or 3 of their albums).

Of course comparing bands is subjective and a matter of personal opinion, but Oasis's musical legacy is far greater than M use's, and I suspect it always will be.

I think we should drop the Oasis thing now. I raised the point of discussion about what songs you would put on the best of (I know for a fact that allot of people wont have heard some good b-sides that should have been on an album in their own right) What I didnt want to happen was to start pages and pages of 'my bands better than your band because your band are rubbish' kind of talk. I was intersted to see what those people that did like Oasis thought should have been on there.

So, being the starter of the comments I would like to finish it here please for the sake of everyone who likes to read this thread.

(Just to put my two penneth in, I dont like to slate anyone else's choice of music - each to their own I say and they dont have to play 10000000 different chords to have a good tune)

Peace out people B)

I'll go with 'Seasons in the Abyss'. Slayer.

Now that's a fine intro. Still prefer Angel of Death, though.

Other fine intros:

Holy Wars by Megadeth

Black Sabbath by, erm, Black Sabbath

The Final Countdown (shut up!)

All Guns Blazing by Judas Priest

Gene Clark by Teenage Fanclub (if you can count the first half of a song as an intro)

I've never seen either live, so in that respect I can't comment, but for me one area where Oasis are certainly better than M.use is in the song writing. They have written songs of the quality M.use can only dream of, and for me that is the most important part.

What on Earth does that mean...?

You seem to offer a two line opinion on every topic at the moment Eddie, yet you seem to offer no insight at all. It's getting very annoying.

Edit: For what it's worth, I'll offer my M use (hasn't that filter gone past it's comedy sell-by-date now?) vs. Oasis opinion. Oasis are very good at what they do...they make catchy pop-rock tunes that you can hum along to in the car or ###### at the pub with your mates. Musically, however, they are niether inventive or gifted. I'm not a huge M use fan but they're undoubtedly the better musicians of the two. I just wish they'd change the formula, it's getting a bit tiresome now.

Edited by LeChuck

Anyone else see Justin Hawkins on Channel 4 last night? He has gained around two stone and looks like a proper bloater.

To be fair, the bloke did need to eat a few pies - and not throw them back up after he eats them.

You seem to offer a two line opinion on every topic at the moment Eddie, yet you seem to offer no insight at all. It's getting very annoying.

Edit: For what it's worth, I'll offer my M use (hasn't that filter gone past it's comedy sell-by-date now?) vs. Oasis opinion. Oasis are very good at what they do...they make catchy pop-rock tunes that you can hum along to in the car or ###### at the pub with your mates. Musically, however, they are niether inventive or gifted. I'm not a huge M use fan but they're undoubtedly the better musicians of the two. I just wish they'd change the formula, it's getting a bit tiresome now.

How can you say the formula on Black Holes is the same as their previous albums?

What I was saying is that personally I find lyrics to be the most important part of a song, with a few exceptions. For me the quality of the song writing for Oasis is excellent. They may not be masters of their instruments who will be forever remember for this guitar or drum solo, but the lyrics and the overall quality of the song is very good. M use may be better when it comes to their instruments, but Oasis have written the better lyrics and that is why I was I consider them to be a better band. I think it is doing a disservice to musicianship to not take into consideration the writing process and to instead simply focus on the individual instrument. That's my two lines on this topic.

. I think it is doing a disservice to musicianship to not take into consideration the writing process and to instead simply focus on the individual instrument. That's my two lines on this topic.

The most important thing in music is the melody - everything else is secondary . That's been true right across the range from Mozart to the Beatles to the mighty Abba . That's my two lines on this topic :):tu:

People tend to get confused with brilliant musicianship & great songwriting.

Both are two entirely different entities.

Noel Gallagher = great songwriter, catchy tune maker, poet of the people lyricist but average guitarist (even he`d admit to that)

Bloke out of M.USE = amazing musicianship (guitar & keyboard) great songwriter & "on a tangent lyricist" but not your average Joe.

=both quite outstanding in their own field, but very very different.

*some of the best songs have only 3 or 4 chords in them*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.