BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

May have a spare ticket for IRON MAIDEN on Saturday week (5th July) at Twickenham - any takers drop me a pm. East stand upper, will be looking down at the stage from the left.

I've gotten into a Canadian folk group called The Wailin' Jennys recently. A trio of girls, they are superb musicians with beautiful voices. I've checked out some of their earlier stuff and it's a bit poppy for my tastes but the latest album, Firecracker is a far more mature offering.

Edited by Rovermatt

I've gotten into a Canadian folk group called The Wailin' Jennys recently. A trio of girls, they are superb musicians with beautiful voices. I've checked out some of their earlier stuff and it's a bit poppy for my tastes but the latest album, Firecracker is a far more mature offering.

Saw them at Bury Met a few weeks ago. Very good with lovely harmonies but not sure I want to take a risk and buy any of their stuff.

Some of their stuff is great (Shipping up to Boston) some of it is terrible. Ok, ok you're Irish. I get it.

Couldn't agree more. Its all very hit or miss by individual songs, not even CDs. Shipping up to Boston happens to be my favorite song by them too, just in case you were wondering. But like you said, some of it is really great, some is just the worst.

Anyone see the Amy Crackhouse do at Glastonbury? Why anyone wanted to see her I don't know. Her songs are a bit crap, and she's an emaciated druggie. I bet alf the people there were seeing if she'd have a funny turn, and to say 'God she's rough'. She didn't disappoint on either score. No doubt she'll be dead by next year's Glasto and everyone will be declaring her a genius. What a waste of mediocrity.

She has a good voice, she has some very good songs and she plays with a great band. If she knew where she was she'd probably put on a great show. Drug addicts in the music industry? She's hardly the first. Had she been in the 60's or 70's people would not have known/cared.

Anyone see the Amy Crackhouse do at Glastonbury? Why anyone wanted to see her I don't know. Her songs are a bit crap, and she's an emaciated druggie. I bet alf the people there were seeing if she'd have a funny turn, and to say 'God she's rough'. She didn't disappoint on either score. No doubt she'll be dead by next year's Glasto and everyone will be declaring her a genius. What a waste of mediocrity.

She was awful yesterday and having seen the video 3 times i can't see any hands move towards her.

Not as bad as estelle on saturday who murdered all her songs.

On a brighter note some very good performances from: The Verve, The Wombats and the Pigeon Detectives.

Just back from Glastonbury. Didn't really see Winey Amehouse as I was working in the WaterAid tent as a volunteer at the time. Thought The Verve were very average, but it might have been the comparison with Leonard Cohen who was on immediately before - his set was extraordinary, although I believe armchair viewers couldn't see him. Outstanding sets also from Balkan Beat Box, The Blockheads, Martha Wainwright, Cerys Matthews and the Handsome Family - probably none of these on the tele either. I was curious about Jay-Z - whilst it's not really my type of music he is a great showman and the first 5 minutes was a brilliant response to Noel Gallagher's ridiculous comments. There is a pretty good rule of thumb for most years - the best stuff happens miles from the big stages. You just have to be there - come along next year!

And a bit closer to home, last night at The Crown in Darwen we saw this lot ...

Decadenze

They covered a number of songs by ACDC, Led Zep, Iron Maiden, Guns and Roses, Metallica, and also played some of their own stuff which is far from disappointing. The drummer in particular won't be playing in pubs for too long - he's awesome.

As a couple of locals said last night - by far the best band to have played at The Crown. They're playing in Colne tonight, and have gigs in the next few weeks in Great Harwood, Chorley, Burnley (also Liverpool, Blackpool and around Manchester) and will be back in Darwen on August 17th.

Only seen one other band cover rock as well as these - and we ended up booking these Londoners for our wedding reception at Ewood!!

Decadenze are younger and less refined, but they're not far away. Will be seeing them again for sure and would recommend to anyone who enjoys a bit of proper music.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=120M6CB4

Chemical Brothers remix of a new Oasis song, Falling Down.

Sounds pretty good. Haven't heard the original one as yet, so not sure how much of this is the Chemical's input. If the actual song is fairly similar to this then it could bode pretty well, as its pretty new territory for them. However if the actual song is just the same old same old guitars only stuff then it wont be too exciting really.

Edited by tony gale's mic

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=120M6CB4

Chemical Brothers remix of a new Oasis song, Falling Down.

Sounds pretty good. Haven't heard the original one as yet, so not sure how much of this is the Chemical's input. If the actual song is fairly similar to this then it could bode pretty well, as its pretty new territory for them. However if the actual song is just the same old same old guitars only stuff then it wont be too exciting really.

That tune will be on the new album (so I am told) From what I understand the track listing for DIG OUT YOUR SOUL will be:-

1. Bag It Up

2. The Turning

3. Waiting for the Rapture

4.The Shock of the Lightning

5. I'm Outta Time

6. (Get Off Your) High Horse Lady

7. Falling Down

8. To be Where There's Life

9. Ain't Got Nothin'

10. The Nature of Reality

11. Soldier On

Number 7 is meant to be being played for the first time tonight Here - click (although after this leek it will probably just be the remix)

EDIT - Just listened to the Remix in the link and even though I have not heard the original yet but I am pretty sure I can say that most of that will be down to the Chemical Brothers. They will have just lifted Noels voice onto it. If they carry on they will soon be able to make a Chemical Brothers/Noel Gallagher album :lol:

Edited by Cocker

Only seen one other band cover rock as well as these - and we ended up booking these Londoners for our wedding reception at Ewood!!

Wonder whatever happened to AC/DO , the Burnley based ACDC cover band. I only came across them months before they split. Shame cos they were superb.

That tune will be on the new album (so I am told) From what I understand the track listing for DIG OUT YOUR SOUL will be:-

1. Bag It Up

2. The Turning

3. Waiting for the Rapture

4.The Shock of the Lightning

5. I'm Outta Time

6. (Get Off Your) High Horse Lady

7. Falling Down

8. To be Where There's Life

9. Ain't Got Nothin'

10. The Nature of Reality

11. Soldier On

Number 7 is meant to be being played for the first time tonight Here - click (although after this leek it will probably just be the remix)

EDIT - Just listened to the Remix in the link and even though I have not heard the original yet but I am pretty sure I can say that most of that will be down to the Chemical Brothers. They will have just lifted Noels voice onto it. If they carry on they will soon be able to make a Chemical Brothers/Noel Gallagher album :lol:

To Quote me :rolleyes:

Yep, they played the quite obvious remix that wont be on the album but they were harping on about the world exclusive that they have in Canada. They played it and then played it again straight after. Now they have just said they will play it again in 15 minutes - I love Oasis but I am pretty sure this isnt the actual album song and they are totally going over the top

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.