BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

I'm a Libertines fan and obviously going to be slightly biased about Pete Doherty. Yes he is a drug user but you can't knock his musical ability just because of that. He also didn't ask to be in the tabloids every week, the reliabilty of some of the stories in there can be taken with a pinch of salt also.

Him and Carl Barat were undoubtly in my opinion a great songwriting duo. You'll struggle to find a better album this decade than Up The Bracket in my opinion. I agree since the Libs split up he's lost his way a bit and Babyshambles can be a bit medicore at times but still have that element of magic in there. Same goes for Dirty Pretty Things.

No doubt The Libertines influenced many bands that are around today unfornately most of them are depressingly boring and unoriginal. But then again there's bands like the Arctic Monekys who would probably have never existed without The Libertines.

You obviously going to like musical acts from your generation hence why some of you seem to hold this dislike. It's very unfair in my opinion to try and compare and contrast bands from different eras. The Libertines were great whilst they lasted but a real shame they split up at the height of their popularity.

Edited by grizfoot

Used to hang around with Howard Marks, didn't they?

True, I forgot about that. I think they used to do dope in their youth, but they were not smack heads who stagger around on stage and mumble incoheirently. I've not discovered any new bands yet, but I should mention Necrosadistic Goat Torture, a death metal band that an old friend plays bass in. They're on myspace if you're into that sort of thing.

Will be very interested to here Metallica's album. I though St.Anger was alot better than most gave it credit for. I would like to see more layered songs this time though, hopefully back to 5-8 belters as opposed to 12-14 songs of decent content with the odd blinder.

Will be very interested to here Metallica's album.

Well if it's anything like this little rascal The Day That Never Comes I for one will be delighted. And that boys and girls is all that matters!!

Until then Motorhead's latest gem should be with me on Monday. "Rock out - with your cock out". Good work Lem.

Heard "Cyanide" on the radio yesterday, sounds like another good tune from Metallica, but I don't know for sure. The sound quality was awful, and not in a garage'y filthy good way, just "do we have to change the frequency"?

Usually Metallica generates a bit too much t-shirts and wristbands for my liking, but I am planning on seeing them on tour soon. Would prefer AC/DC though, what a band!

Edited by herbergeehh

Not that I've downloaded it or anything.

Fans of Metallica should check out a band called Volbeat by the way, a Danish band who I believe has opened for them a few times. Similar to Metallica with a characteristic vocals and heavy background sound -> recommended!

Edited by herbergeehh

Listened through the new Metallica album a few times more now, and I like it. I've never been a major fan of progressive, 10 minute tracks, which Metallica sticks to - but I guess you have to let Iggy be Iggy and Metallica be Metallica. Anyway, The End Of The Line is one of the better songs I've heard in quite some time - and the album in full is well worth the money.

Heard "Cyanide" on the radio yesterday, sounds like another good tune from Metallica, but I don't know for sure. The sound quality was awful, and not in a garage'y filthy good way, just "do we have to change the frequency"?

Usually Metallica generates a bit too much t-shirts and wristbands for my liking, but I am planning on seeing them on tour soon. Would prefer AC/DC though, what a band!

AC/DC....NEW ALBUM IN OCT AND TOUR TO FOLLOW....SINGLE OUT AND ITS CHUFFING AWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOME

Btw.... I love this band. Best band in the world.

OH YES!!!

its in my will when they close the curtains on me HIGHWAY TO HELL is to blasted,greatest song ever.

Listened through the new Metallica album a few times more now, and I like it. I've never been a major fan of progressive, 10 minute tracks, which Metallica sticks to - but I guess you have to let Iggy be Iggy and Metallica be Metallica. Anyway, The End Of The Line is one of the better songs I've heard in quite some time - and the album in full is well worth the money.

Bought it at lunchtime, really like it.

Went to see Nickelback in concert last night. The music is pretty formulaic and is hardly going to change the world but frankly it was one of the most enjoyable concert experiences I've had. They don't take themselves seriously at all and took regular breaks to fire hundreds of cups of beer into the crowd ("It's like oxygen to you Irish"), load air cannons full of "free sh*t" and shoot them at people and to tell the occasional filthy joke. The back of the stage was complete with eight massive flame machines shooting vertically in sync with the guitars and bucketloads of stupidly loud fireworks. It was preposterous but stupidly good craic.

Edited by Rovermatt

Sorry Rovermatt, but liking Nickelback is like saying Sly Stallone has made some great comedy films. It is the sort of over-ernest rock music mums of teenagers listen to in order to be 'down with the kids'. Creed were the same sort of thing. Please note that Metallica have released a new album. They're past their best, but they can still do it.

Put it this way-Creeping Death or You Remind Me? Disposable Heroes or Rock Star?

Sorry Rovermatt, but liking Nickelback is like saying Sly Stallone has made some great comedy films. It is the sort of over-ernest rock music mums of teenagers listen to in order to be 'down with the kids'. Creed were the same sort of thing. Please note that Metallica have released a new album. They're past their best, but they can still do it.

I'm not a Nickelback fan by any stretch of the imagination. I never said I was. I did however see them in concert and they were ok. I also acknowledged their deficiencies however, again, they put on a good show.

Your reference to Metallica is irrelevant. They are clearly a superior band.

Edited by Rovermatt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.