BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Top gigs of 2008:

1. Half Man Half Biscuit, Leamington Spa, December 11th. Fantastic. Great sound, great venue, great crowd, killer setlist. This year's release of album "CSI: Ambleside" shows that after all this time they just get better and better.

Gig earlier in the year in the Forum in London was great too but Leamington was better.

2. Art Brut, ULU London, erm, some time in April perhaps; hugely entertaining gig performed with real energy; second time I've seen them and a real sense of big occasion.

3. The Hold Steady, The Roundhouse London, December 16th; long-delayed gig but well worth the wait. Lots of energy and charisma and some cracking songs. And, unusually for me, a crowd which weren't just bald blokes with glasses; there were girls there and everything...

4. The Happy Mondays, Wakestock, June; just got lost in the moment when Step On came on; all of a sudden it was 1990 again. Without the Mark Atkins own-goal against Liverpool. Ahhhhh....

5. The Wedding Present, also at ULU; seen them three times this year and that one was the only one which really got me going; 20th anniversary George Best tour; first time I saw it it just felt like watching a tribute band, but this time I just shrugged and enjoyed myself. Feels to me like they're in a bit of a rut though and their 2008 album "El Rey" was weak.

I had the chance to go see Coldplay on the 23rd as a friend of a friend dropped out. I'm not really that big a fan but I have to say they were very good.

How did Chris Martin`s voice hold up live?

He always sounds dodgy when i`ve heard their concerts on the radio,which is a shame because i love their music.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_ty...&bir_index=

Stick £38.10 (the maximum stake they'll allow you on this market) on Springsteen. Tidy profit of just over £100, probably 80% chance it'll happen at least.

EDIT: Was 11/4 when I made that post, already dropped to 9/4. Still well worth a punt though.

Edited by tony gale's mic

Favourite album of the year? Dear Science by TV on the Radio probably gets my vote.

I've just got that, never heard of them before a recent positive mention in the press.

It's taking a while, I think I've played it 4 times but it's getting better. It reminds me a bit of "Low" period Bowie at times...

good gigs that spring to mind

Pharaoh Monche - Manchester Roadhouse, July 2006

Herbie Hancock & the Headhunters - Glastonbury June 1998

Tool - Manchester Apollo - June 2001

Wool, Tool, Rage Against the Machine - Liverpool Royal Court October 1993

Beastie Boys - Manchester Academy March 1995

Most articles on MSN are crap but I thought this was pretty funny.

Agree with a lot but take exception to this:

While we're on the subject of our simian cousins, The Verve staged one of rock's most underwhelming comebacks with Love Is Noise ("and the award for most meaningless, adolescent song title goes to…"). There's a delicious kind of justice in the fact that the supposedly cool and iconic Verve failed where the apparently uncool Take That succeeded.

But that was because Take That wrote more than two good songs to begin with and, when they came back, wrote even better songs that didn't feature the sound of a seagull shouting "hello" down a chimney, unlike The Verve's disastrous effort that was so bad, every time it came on the radio we feared the earth would burn up with embarrassment. i.e. VERY, VERY BAD!

Love Is Noise wasn't a great song but was decent enough, and to say The Verve didn't write more than two good songs shows the author is utterly ignorant and probably hasn't even heard the whole of Urban Hymns, let alone the two arguably better albums with preceded it.

I won't have any criticism of the The Verve please, worthwhile or not, as Dicky lived next door to my cousin when we were kids, and last year we sold McCabe an instrument which was used on the last album, so any slagging off is really a slur on me.

I won't have any criticism of the The Verve please, worthwhile or not, as Dicky lived next door to my cousin when we were kids, and last year we sold McCabe an instrument which was used on the last album, so any slagging off is really a slur on me.

:brfcsmilie:

"Urban Hymns" was sell out pop music

"Storm in heaven" - on the other hand- was a fantastic, possibly timeless piece of music

Loving this band at the minute called The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. They're from NYC like most bands seem to be these days, and have a great early My Bloody Valentine/Jesus and Mary Chain/Pastels type sound to them.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVrTruj_Aw For a taster...

I assume the rules for linking to rapidshare/mediafire for zip files of albums for download are much the same as for streaming links? Oh well, I'm sure everyone knows how to find music, but I definitely recommend tracking down their album.

Not sure whether this've been mentioned, but Ron Asheton was found dead the other day. Asheton was the guitarist in Iggy & The Stooges (or just the Stooges), a band playing punk rock long before Sex Pistols and the Clash. Raw Power is still one of my all time favourite albums, and Asheton was a brilliant guitarist in his genre. Rest in peace!

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody heard Fleet foxes? Their single mykonos is getting loads of airplay at the moment,very mellow and most definitely a different sound.TBH it`s the type of music i shouldn`t really enjoy but strangely i do... :huh:

Mind you it`s no surprise really considering my cd collection includes artists such as Johann Strauss, The Prodigy,Boston,Camel,Foo Fighters,Seal,Rolling Stones,Metallica and The Ting Tings.

Talk about varied... :rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.