BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Blimey John I had you down for a PussyCat Dolls guy!

You were a long way out there Oz! These days I only really seem to listen to world music, although that said that's a hell of a broad church. I'll listen to pretty much anything out of west Africa in particular, especially Tinariwen, Amadou & Mariam, Baaba Maal, Bassekou Kouyate etc. Still have plenty of time for the likes of Ry Cooder, Van Morrison, Brain Wilson and Leonard Cohen as well though.

Sounds very interesting, I'll have to check them out.

I've been listening to the new Animal Collective non-stop since around January, it's such a brilliant album. Also I was very surprised to find the The Horrors new one (Primary Colours) is actually very good. Last time I heard of them they were a gimmicky band seemingly famous because the singer was with Peaches Geldof. Primary Colours is quite dark though, it has Joy Division feel to it. It's biggest flaw is that it's not original at all, but it's still a good album if you like that sort of music.

Agreed on both those counts.

Really like the new Camera Obscura record too, one of my favourites this year.

Anybody into this band, loving them myself, best thing from these shores in a long time.

Coming to your shores before they play Arizona, so anyone who goes a report would be good, PM me.

The Airbourne toxic event have been added as a strong rumour to leeds and reading, great news

BIG event on Friday.

Tickets go on sale for Pearl Jam at the MEN Arena in August.

THE best band in the world!

You can get tickets via o2 on Wednesday, Ive sent you a pm

Edited by ad0102

If anyone likes Blues, try C W Stoneking's "King Hokum" or "Jungle Blues". He's an American, brought up on an Aboriginal settlement. His parents were teachers at the local school during the 70's I believe. Got a good bluesy sound.

The other one I like is Seasick Steve "Started out with nothin..."

BIG event on Friday.

Tickets go on sale for Pearl Jam at the MEN Arena in August.

THE best band in the world!

Tickets got!

Looking forward to this one. It sold out in a couple of hours. But really annoyed that I had to pay Ticketmaster nearly £6 per ticket "service charge".

Legalised touts! :angry:

Edited by Simon Says

• Backroom
Leaked online 2 weeks early.

Been listening to it for a couple of days.... basically a rehash of the Slim Shady LP, with less anger and a more commercial angle. I like it, though. 3am, Bagpipes from Baghdad and Underground are probably my favourites. Em seems stuck in 2001 though, why is he still rapping about Mariah Carey and Britney Spears :D

Also, 'Insane' is seriously messed up.

Edited by DE4life

Been listening to it for a couple of days.... basically a rehash of the Slim Shady LP, with less anger and a more commercial angle. I like it, though. 3am, Bagpipes from Baghdad and Underground are probably my favourites. Em seems stuck in 2001 though, why is he still rapping about Mariah Carey and Britney Spears :D

Also, 'Insane' is seriously messed up.

Na its all new material - yes he's still having a pop at Mariah but thats just because her Fella denied he had been with her, despite Mariah admiting it back in 2006.

Beautiful is my fave on the album - its the only one he produced and the only one which he made prior to going clean.

Insane is exactly as the title says. Also like Same Song & Dance

• Backroom

I'm aware of the reasons behind his rapping about Mariah, it's just outdated. A lot of his pop references in this album are, but it doesn't really detract from the record much.

Beautiful's grown on me a lot. Good song.

He was interviewed by Jonathan Ross a couple of days ago... what a joke :rolleyes: Ross is a tool.

In other news; I'm still struggling with the new Depeche Mode album. I love their work before that (apart from the early albums and 2001: s "Exciter") but apart from 3 or maybe 4 songs I just feel Sounds of the Universe (the new album) kind of lacks punch. Martin Gore needs something sad to happen to him again to spark his songwriting, while Dave Gahan just needs to stay off writing songs!

I liked their 80's purvy stuff, and the early 90's stuff like I Feel You, but what little of their latest stuff doesn't do it for me. There are some good remixes on the 81-04 remix album. Get the 3 CD set from internet shops, as there are 1 and 2 CD sets too.

Eminem is boring and dated. He was witty and biting when he first came out, but now he's old hat. He has done a load of crap after his first album or two, and now he's struggling to recapture that early swagger. I'm not really a fan of rap though.

Going to see these in Leeds next month.

Totally different and a lot more grown up than the stuff off their first album.

Here's two of the best tracks off their new album 'Primary Colours'

The Horrors - Scarlet Fields

I know, very much influenced by a few 80's band like Joy Division but still fantastic.

Edited by brfc_ben

Considering going to see them in Manchester's Ruby Lounge next month too. I just don't know if I can take it seriously or not yet, it's too similar to things like Joy Division for me to feel comfortable about liking it.

Considering going to see them in Manchester's Ruby Lounge next month too. I just don't know if I can take it seriously or not yet, it's too similar to things like Joy Division for me to feel comfortable about liking it.

Not sure how much the tickets are there but if they are same as Leeds Cockpit (£12) u can afford not to like em i reckon :)

I agree they are very similar to Joy Division but is that such a bad thing?, plus there's worse rip offs out there.

Also, just remembered that you can listen to the rest of their album free on the official website.

Click

About £7 I think, but there are quite a few bands I wouldn't mind going to watch and I don't have money/time to do them all. I think it's the fact that they went from that pretty awful first album to this that makes me feel uncomfortable, if this was their debut I'd have less problem liking it. I must admit I really like Sea Within a Sea, played it a lot a couple of months back.

Yeah that's another good track.

I actually quite liked the first album, as odd as it was. I think the fact that they successfully made such a massive genre change shows that theres talent there.

Anyway if u decide not to go i'll let you know how good/@#/? they are live. ;)

Ah...but a guy who produced some of the Portishead albums produced the new one, so maybe he should be taking the credit. ;)

They're in Manchester 1st June by the way, so chances are I might get there first.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.