BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

After ordering my tickets to see Kasabian in December I was looking forward to the new album however, after hearing it today I must say I am dissapointed. The swagger seems to have gone and I cant really call any of them a 'tune'

Apart from the first track all the other songs sound the same same - a bit dancey if you ask me.

Oh hum what a let down :(

Edited by Cocker

I bought the new Razorlight album last week and was a bit dissappointed to be honest.

I also thought the latest Snow Patrol wasn't as good as the first offering, although did have a few very good tracks on it.

Interesting. Very interesting.

As you seemingly devote a lot of your posts to berating todays 'educated' youth (albeit as a generalisation rather than to the individual), I find it quite ironic that your choice in music is that of the typical modern student. Both bands are devoid of originality and painfully bland by the way (although that's typical of the genre), I wouldn't have thought they'd satisfy your craving for intellectual stimulation. However, that's that irrelevant to point I wish intending to make.

Anyway, back to what I came to post; is anyone going to Leeds/Reading festival this year? I'd originally planned not to on account of the terrible initial line-up, but the revised ones made me change my mind...although The Shins pulling out recently annoyed me greatly as they were the main reason I decided to go.

There is a worrying amount of 'emo' music booked for this year, but at least it has been sectioned the main-stage, which is, on the whole, atrocious. Only Pearl Jam really excite me out of the main-stagers but they unfortunately clash with 2 Many DJs/Radio Soulwax night, which will have my undivided attention. My main highlights will probably be Broken Social Scene, The Fall, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Eagles of Death Metal and possibly the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. There are a few that I'm hoping will surpass my expactations though, such as the Dresden Dolls.

Hope anyone going has a great time...but please, for the love of God, avoid Fall Out Boy at all costs. Ignore this and don't expect any sympathy, I have warned you.

Edited by LeChuck

Cocker, have you had a listen of that Roddy Woomble solo album yet? What were your thoughts?

Apologies mate I didnt get round to getting it.

Will have a review soon (not that anyone cares what the resident Oasis gimp thinks anyway :P )

Anyone heard "The Happy Song" by the Aliens? Very catchy. It's the second single by three ex-Beta Banders.

I'm also chuffed that Cud have re-surfaced. I'm abit miffed I misssed them play live last week because of holidays. Their new "best of" compilation is good though. Got some rare stuff on as well as some un-released tunes. I've got my fingers crosed that they'll re-release "When in Rome, Kill Me". I've got a worn out tape copy, and the CD version goes for big money on ebay. I cud (get it?) do with a newer version!

Edited by stegraham

Only Pearl Jam really excite me out of the main-stagers but they unfortunately clash with 2 Many DJs/Radio Soulwax night, which will have my undivided attention.

Well if you missed LeChuck you must be mad. I paid close on £70 for one reason only, to watch the greatest rock band in the world the mighty Pearl Jam, and boy they didn’t disappoint. A set list that included Go, Animal, Corduroy, World Wide Suicide, Even Flow (awesome guitar solo from McCready), Daughter ( sing-along tag of It's OK), State of Love and Trust, and the best song ever Black.

They simply rocked he place down. Must admit they appeared a bit nervous at first, probably because it is the first festival they have played since Roskilde. But in the end they simply rocked the place down.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Caught the Reading Festival on telly last night......

Arctic Monkeys set looked fantastic. Never heard so many people singing along to the songs. They are definately riding the crest of a wave at the moment. Played well too.

Girls Aloud looked absolutely awesome! A true headline act! Cannot wait to see them at the MEN in November. Zane Lowe said something along the lines of...."if Matt Bellamy had been born 200 years ago, he would`ve been a famous composer." Awesome musicianship.

Primal Scream`s set looked like fun. Good ol`time rock 'n' roll. B)

the kooks had that 'vibe' about them. a happening band of the moment.

:tu:

Caught the Reading Festival on telly last night......

Arctic Monkeys set looked fantastic. Never heard so many people singing along to the songs. They are definately riding the crest of a wave at the moment. Played well too.

Girls Aloud looked absolutely awesome! A true headline act! Cannot wait to see them at the MEN in November. Zane Lowe said something along the lines of...."if Matt Bellamy had been born 200 years ago, he would`ve been a famous composer." Awesome musicianship.

Primal Scream`s set looked like fun. Good ol`time rock 'n' roll. B)

the kooks had that 'vibe' about them. a happening band of the moment.

:tu:

Admin (mainly Ste B) wont let you say M U S E

Fully agreed, im going in November too. Best live act around, just awesome energy

Just got back from Leeds...

Pearl Jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How was their set list? Are their concerts still long? (close to two hours?)

I hope they still perform a lot of older material, not just from "Pearl Jam" - even though I liked the album, nothing beats Ten, VS etc..

Just got back from Leeds...

Pearl Jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoyed Friday night, but watching BBC3 last night I am jealous as hell. Oh to have been at Reading as well! They ignored the curfew and just kept playing.

Setlist Reading 27/08/06

Interstellar Overdrive, Corduroy, Do The Evolution, Animal, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Dissident, Even Flow, Sad, I Am Mine, Jeremy, Grievance, Wasted Reprise, Betterman, Save You, Blood, Rearviewmirror

1st Encore: Iron Man, Soon Forget, Given To Fly, Once, Crown of Thorns, Comatose, Alive

2nd Encore: Why Go, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter (Nobody's Fault But Mine by Led Zeppelin tease in Mike's solo)

:o

And here cletus, we have another who cant swallow his pride and accept the guys downright genius talents

I thought it was pretty obvious I was having a go at that sycophantic moron Lowe rather than M.use (how many times do I need to say I think they've got some good songs?). Do you really think think he likes them that much? If so you can't have heard him say basically the same thing about anyone he ever interviews. He's such an arsekissing little toad. The very sight of him makes me feel ill. [/catharsis] Wow, easy tiger. :blink:

Anyways, Iron Maiden's new album is out today. Woohoo! :)

Anyone catch any of Slayer at Leeds/Reading?

Yeah, sounds like something that clown would say. <_<

Zane Lowe=prick.

"YEAHWEVEGOTTHENEWSINGLEFROMMUSEITSGONNAROCKYOURWORLD!"

A couple of mates were at the Pearl Jam concert in Dublin last week. Apparently they were good craic on stage.

Edited by Rovermatt

I really enjoyed Friday night, but watching BBC3 last night I am jealous as hell. Oh to have been at Reading as well! They ignored the curfew and just kept playing.

Setlist Reading 27/08/06

Interstellar Overdrive, Corduroy, Do The Evolution, Animal, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Dissident, Even Flow, Sad, I Am Mine, Jeremy, Grievance, Wasted Reprise, Betterman, Save You, Blood, Rearviewmirror

1st Encore: Iron Man, Soon Forget, Given To Fly, Once, Crown of Thorns, Comatose, Alive

2nd Encore: Why Go, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter (Nobody's Fault But Mine by Led Zeppelin tease in Mike's solo)

:o

I thought that, but then I remember a conversation I had with my friend the next day.

Imagining I bumped into Eddie Vedder on the Friday, and he said ''James, what would like us to open with tonight,'' I would probably have responded with, ''Oh I dunno Eddie, maybe Go, followed by Animal, followed by Corduroy or something?''

Perfect!

And to answer the original question they only played 3 off the new album, Worldwide Suicide, Severed Hand (Oh yes!) and Life Wasted. They played 23 songs in all, and I managed to get right on the front row, so if anyone was in the lost and found at any point and found a rib cage, please PM me so I can arrange to have that sent back!!

Hard to pick songs if you ask me, they should play every single one. Would like to see them play Marker in the sand when I see them in Sept. though, fantastic song! Apart from that, they can stick to the old magic as far as I'm concerned..

Edited by herbergeehh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.