BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley 0 Blackburn Rovers 3

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news on Jeffers. If he can get circa 10 goals this season he'll prove himself a very very good signing indeed.

Stop being so bloody optimistic. Really - you've been on here long enough. You should know better.

:blink::brfc:

Just got back.

Obviously you can't take too much from the first pre-season game, but I thought Gallagher looked excellent and bossed the midfield, Agathe played well when going forward (I wouldn't play him at the back though), Roberts and Jeffers got on the score sheet, and both Peter and Kuqi looked lively when coming on in the second half.

Agathe was quality for Jeffers' goal - I bet he took four players on. Good cross aswell. Sign him on because he impressed me more in a friendly against Stanley than Emerton has done in two years!

As I arrived at the ground, I felt tinge of irony listening to 'I Predict A Riot', what with the rumours of a Burnley invasion.

However, waiting for the riot with the Dingle's was much like waiting for Mido to sign a contract.

Standing up was quite a novelty for a while, but we are quite spoilt with all this sitting down lark. Seeing as the wife is pregnant, she just went ahead and sat down anyway.

It was good to see a bit of action for the rovers after all this time (have we really had a world cup since the end of the season?), with the following players impressing:

Gallagher - Looked like his loan spells have given him confidence and tenacity.

Roberts - Difficult for Accy to get him off the ball.

Brown - One to watch for the future I feel.

Khizanishvili - Looked a little faster than normal. Or maybe it was cos they don't put names on shirts in friendlies and the extra few kilo's of letter weren't weighing him down.

Jeffers - Not the shambles many would lead us to belive.

Derbyshire - showed composure, could be his chance this year...

Other points of fun were the compere who was probably well behind Glenn with info, heckling the stanley players (GET ON THAT POST SOMEONE...), wondering why all lids were confiscated off bottles ("It's so you don't throw them on the field", which is fine until some nob threw a stella bottle on), and the stanley fans cheering as though they scored if they got so much as a corner.

Funnily enough, none f them noticed the rather large rovers flag flying just behind them!

An interesting game, and while it isn't possible to draw too much from it as it is a friendly against lesser opposition, there are plenty of plus points. Hopefully Roberts' injury isnot too bad...

And so it begins again.

It was still very, very hot at kick-off and the pitch was hard, bumpy and sandy, so it was never going to be a classic. Both teams were only playing at half pace and there was hardly a meaningful tackle in the game (with one or two exceptions), so it's difficult to make judgements on players. In addition I thought Accrington were very poor and offered very little up front.

After saying that though Gallagher did impress in the first half. He started wide on the right but kept switching with Bentley in the centre and drove forward at every opportunity. It was his shot that was parried by the keeper for Roberts to finish. Roberts looked dangerous as well and it was a shame when he went off injured after about 35 minutes - hope it's not serious. However, there were no signs of Roberts and Jeffers developing a partnership during that time but it's obviously very early days.

Agathe played at right-back and looked good going forward, but he also looked very shaky defensively. He did brilliantly for the second goal though, beating at least two players before getting to the by-line and delivering a peach of a cross that Jeffers couldn't fail to convert. It was really the only outstanding moment that Jeffers had in the game (he was subbed shortly after his goal) but I guess he's that type of player, doesn't seem to do much but gets on the end of things and, hopefully, scores goals.

The other plus was Derbyshire, who scored one (a real poachers effort) and could have had a couple more. He still looks very small, but there's something about the lad - he's got a touch of class when he gets in front of goal. Our other debutant Brown had a solid second half in goal and made at least one decent save when called upon.

The only real negatives were Friedel's kicking, which was awful (although the pitch was bobbly), Robert's injury, Bentley and Pedersen's poor performance, and seeing that Kuqi's first touch hasn't improved over the summer. Also both Reid and Nelsen were missing, presumably injured.

All in all it was a decent workout against poor opposition. We controlled most of the game and deserved the win, but we never really got out of first gear. Nice that 3 of our strikers got goals though, can't hurt their confidence going into the bigger challenges ahead.

Just got back.

Agathe was quality for Jeffers' goal - I bet he took four players on. Good cross aswell. Sign him on because he impressed me more in a friendly against Stanley than Emerton has done in two years!

I remember watching Emerton in a pre-season freindly in Ireland and think yes we have a good player here. Then I watched him have a stromer in his first game against wolves and I thought - we have a great player here. Then it all changed. :(

Anyway, we have nothing to loose on Agathe cos he is free so I will give him time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.