BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Weather

I hate people who moan about the weather...but I have to say it's as cold as Pluto out there today-typing in gloves now. Not impressed.

Still, was nice to walk out of the offices last night in decent daylight.

Pointless post, but then that's nothing new for me though eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two months of the year have seen some contrasts in the British weather. February 2008 was apparently the sunniest February across Britain since records began - beating the previous record for a sunny February set in 1970.

January this year, however, was the wettest January since 1995 - with only seven Januarys wetter in the past 100 years. According to the Met Office, the warmer than average February helped to ensure that British temperatures over the winter were 1.1C (2F) above the norm.

Still, was nice to walk out of the offices last night in decent daylight.

It's better than the dark gloomy afternoons and it won't be too long before the clocks go forward an hour on the 30th March, bringing lighter evenings.

It reminds me of the famous time on Match of the Day some years ago when Jimmy Hill made a slip-up at the end of the programme, saying: "Goodnight and don't forget to put your cocks forward."

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

I bloody hate the winter 'hours'!

One thing that I have never understood which somebody with more intelligence than I might be able to 'throw some light on' is why given that the shortest day is Dec 21 and the clocks have been put back on the last weekend of Oct some 7-8 weeks earlier that we have to wait until the last weekend of March some 13 / 14 weeks after the shortest day until we can roll the clocks forward to BST. Surely to keep things equal the clocks should go forward in early Feb...... shouldn't they?

If we did that then maybe the winter would not drag on so long, we would not waste as much energy using unecessary lighting and maybe even the health of the nation might improve as the population would probably become more active.

According to the weather report on "Gardeners' Question Time" today on Radio 4 we are due for a "Polar Low."

It's going to snow.................................

According to the weather report on "Gardeners' Question Time" today on Radio 4 we are due for a "Polar Low."

It's going to snow.................................

Personally I don't even believe the weather report on BBC Radio 4 .

It's not going to snow ..... :closedeyes:

Been up since 3.30am thanks to the weather and a very weird power cut. Awoke to a high pitched noise somewhere in the house, found everything electrical was working but as though it was being run of a single, run down AAA battery. Eventaully tracked the noise to the microwave by which time I was too wide awake to sleep.

Listening to the radio on the way to work I was struck by the complete lack of excitable young women reporting from storm lashed coasts and flood threatened communities in the north-west. I can only imagine they are all still stuck in the south-west........or perhaps we're just having a bad day???

Thelwall was shut

Still is and for "the foreseeable future" according to the Highways man on the radio. Seems a bit dramatic, surely he meant till the wind dies down!

Listening to the radio on the way to work I was struck by the complete lack of excitable young women reporting from storm lashed coasts and flood threatened communities in the north-west.

That`s cos it`s oop north, therefore it doesn`t matter & it isn`t 'proper' news <_<

The BBC had some poor lassie on the prom at Fleetwood, near that ship that ran aground a few weeks ago. Poor thing could hardly get the words out let alone stand up!

A tree at the end of neighbour's drive fell down smashing the back window of her car. Luckily it was only a fairly small tree or she would have had no car!

We were off to Liverpool today for Tash to have an interview at University there. Decided against the trip after reports of M6 closures etc. Still extremely windy here.

That`s cos it`s oop north, therefore it doesn`t matter & it isn`t 'proper' news <_<

No joking, you're correct. The BBC even has an "Northern Correspondent" as if it's some minor region on the edge of the civilisation.

Last summer's floods in Tewkesbury and the West Country received huge publicity yet similarly disastrous floods in Hull and Sheffield were ignored after the first day. And you only have to look at the sports pages of the national newspapers to realise the media bias towards London and the south.

We were off to Liverpool today for Tash to have an interview at University there. Decided against the trip after reports of M6 closures etc. Still extremely windy here.

Eh ? What's more important ; hold-up on the roads that may or may not delay you or an university interview that may affect the rest of her life ?

No joking, you're correct. The BBC even has an "Northern Correspondent" as if it's some minor region on the edge of the civilisation.

Last summer's floods in Tewkesbury and the West Country received huge publicity yet similarly disastrous floods in Hull and Sheffield were ignored after the first day. And you only have to look at the sports pages of the national newspapers to realise the media bias towards London and the south.

Eh ? What's more important ; hold-up on the roads that may or may not delay you or an university interview that may affect the rest of her life ?

I rather held the view that getting caught in an accident in 80-90mph winds might affect any life she might have after in an adverse way. Uni have re-scheduled. Anyway, she's had an offer from a better one, this was second choice ;)

[/b]

I rather held the view that getting caught in an accident in 80-90mph winds might affect any life she might have after in an adverse way. Uni have re-scheduled. Anyway, she's had an offer from a better one, this was second choice ;)

Fair enough ; the prospect of spending 3 years of your life in Liverpool would deter most students.

A tree at the end of neighbour's drive fell down smashing the back window of her car.

A ladyfriend of mine txtd me today saying her bush was all over the place :unsure: .....read into that what you will :blink:

• 5 months later...

it was dark at 05.30 this morning when I got up at my usual working day start time. :mellow:

winter is almost here...11 months of hell. But what the hell Rovers won on Saturday so let us ignore the rain and manky weather for a few days.

I wonder how players like Samba, Mok, Benni, Bert and RSC can stand this polar like East Lancs weather: they would be far better off moving to London ;)

There is no real difference now between winter and summer in the north west of England. In winter it is cool, wet and windy and in summer it is barely warm and wet. Just a few degrees 'warmer' in summer. Basically the whole year is similar to what autumn used to be like. Global warming? It's global wetting round here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.