BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Duff Completes Switch

I cant see why anyone wouldn't want Duffer back - he's world class - as for his performances in Geordie land - they seem to have this habit of turning good players into not-too-good quickly and efficiently.

Are you living in 2002, because duff hasnt been "World Class" for 4 seasons if he ever was world class in the first place. If ever any of you actually watch you will see he isnt a quarter of the player he was for Rovers for the last 2/3 seasons with us

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would agree with that bazza. i also think it is another case of a player leaving rovers for what they percieve to be sunny climbs, and for it all to not work out how they wanted. which only begs the question that the players would be asking themselves "should i have left rovers in the first place"?? i think lucas will find out when he leaves next month.

we have had some outstanding footballers play for us only for them to leave, and it is my belief that it is because although we had those outstanding players, we couldn't really get the job done on the international level.

duffer/dunn...bring em both back!!

• 1 year later...

According to the BBC:

Newcastle are set to beat north-east rivals Middlesbrough for the signature of Galatasaray winger Arda Turan, a deal which could lead to Damien Duff leaving St James' Park

I'd rather remember Duffer in the blue and white halves in his prime.

I'd take him back. It would have to be a reasonable price though. Ever since he left Rovers he hasn't been quite the same. There were times under Mourinho where he was class, but other times it seemed that the strict tactics of the coach curb his attacking ability. As someone else pointed out, I wouldn't read too much into his performances at Newcastle, there is something about that club which makes you crap.

I would take Duff back. He has had injury problems but we need cover in that left sided area. Plus I think Hughes would be someone who could rehabilitate the Irish winger.

If Newcastle were prepared to let him go for 1m and he took a wages cut I would say we should be seriously interested, get him in for a medical at least. He is a class player. It would have to mean no one else would have to be interested to get him that cheap though.

We certainly shouldn't spend serious money on him.

Watching him for both Chelsea and Newcastle, he seems to have completely lost his ability to take on players to such an extent I wonder what his game is actually supposed to be about. Ryan Giggs has lost pace but has added many other qualities to his game, Duffer, lets just remember the good times.

Edited by Mattyblue

Definately worth a gamble, if the monies are OK. Could he be any more disappointing than MGP has been this season, could we rekindle some of what he has lost. The career destroying machine that is Chelsea FC screwed him up. They sign the best left winger in the country and immediately start playing him on the right, I see even at Newcastle, Duffers is on the right. I don't think he has LOST the ability to take on his man I think it was just coached out of him at Chelsea, now may just be a confidence thing.

Another thing I feel is that the lad has lost the joy of playing, that he does not love his footy anymore, another side effect of Chelsea I think. I am sure Sparky and his crew could bring back that passion.

Worth a shot, but not for a King's Ransom

Edited by USABlue

Forget Duff, he's not enough left in the tank that will offer any improvement to BRFC. He'll just eat up wages whilst lying on the treatment table.

I know this a place to air opinions but Shillitoe your's are increasingly ludicrious.

Forget Duff, he's not enough left in the tank that will offer any improvement to BRFC. He'll just eat up wages whilst lying on the treatment table.

I know this a place to air opinions but Shillitoe your's are increasingly ludicrious.

I agree once a player has left it's never a good idea to bring them back...I still don't think we should have bought back Dunny...I know he is a true Blackburn Lad..But is he fit...No...Has he played well...No...Will he be as good as he was No...There will be a bit of clear out in the squad this closed period and a few will be out...I have every faith in Mark Hughes to bring the right playes in for the next season...

Do consider that I don't actually believe Duffless limbs could run and things.

However, one thing I would say is Dunn has not had any serious injury problems since returning. Bellamy never had it as bad at Rovers as he had since he's left.

Duff is 29, his talent still remains, and if he could get back to just 50% the player he was, I believe he would offer more than MGP. So the questions to me are do I believe we could get him fit enough? Yes, past and current evidence suggest so. Also, do I believe Duff, at age 29 could get back to 50 % (and ideally 70-80%) of what he was? Again, yes I do, though this is based purely on my instincts of the kind of guy he is, and would he want it enough being back at Rovers, which I like to think might give him a lift.

How on earth did Duff not burn his bridges with the Rovers fans when he disgustingly kissed the Chelsea badge in front of our travelling support at Stamford Bridge, before proceeding to rub in Chelsea's victory and winning of the Premier League? It was as if he was trying to say how glad he was to be shot of us.

I don't want him back. I think it's a real shame that a player of his quality has gone so far downhill, but I don't have any sympathy for him. We should show him the same respect he showed us - absolutely none whatsoever.

How on earth did Duff not burn his bridges with the Rovers fans when he disgustingly kissed the Chelsea badge in front of our travelling support at Stamford Bridge, before proceeding to rub in Chelsea's victory and winning of the Premier League?

The badge kissing thing has become so cliché now that it barely means a thing.

Rather than concentrating on that one incident, done in the heat of the moment, I'd rather remember the letter he wrote to the fans saying how he'd loved his time here. He didn't have to go to the effort to do that, very few players would, and for that reason I'd gladly welcome him back. On the playing side, he's obviously not what he was, but he can't have lost all of his talent, he was just too good for that. Maybe familiar surroundings, less pressure and a manager with a proven record of getting the best from injury-ridden players could be enough to get him back on track.

The badge kissing thing has become so cliché now that it barely means a thing.

Rather than concentrating on that one incident, done in the heat of the moment, I'd rather remember the letter he wrote to the fans saying how he'd loved his time here. He didn't have to go to the effort to do that, very few players would, and for that reason I'd gladly welcome him back. On the playing side, he's obviously not what he was, but he can't have lost all of his talent, he was just too good for that. Maybe familiar surroundings, less pressure and a manager with a proven record of getting the best from injury-ridden players could be enough to get him back on track.

I didn't actually know about that letter, LeChuck. You make a good point.

What he did really was a slap in the face though and it left a bad taste in the mouth. I really hate how little respect some players show for their former clubs. The fans love their best players, the kids idolize them, but the majority just don't give a crap.

I didn't actually know about that letter, LeChuck. You make a good point.

I'm trying to find a link to that story, but I'm not finding anything.

Someone please tell me I haven't been making things up again.

I remember something about this.

I also remember how Duff felt that the club turned their back on him when he was leaving. How he was considering staying even though the transfer bid had been accepted, but he was just told 'We've accepted a bid, you're leaving...'

As an aside, I think that the badge kissing thing is never directed at previous clubs. It's just directed towards the fans of your current club, not a sleight on the previous fans...

That definitely happened LeChuck, I remember it well.

However, it was when he left. The badge kissing thing came later, and therefore is probably more pertinent in determining his attitude to us.

For all we know his agent penned the letter.

FFS, Im just about sick of this we want duff back rubbish. Damien was my favourite player when playing for us, he was also our best player and at the time he was one of the best wingers in the world at the time. He continued this fine form in his first season at Chelsea. However a series of bad injuries, a change in mentality and an apparent disdain for training has seen the demise of a once great player.

Before crying “bring Duff back” take off the rovers tinted specs and analyse his performance over the past three seasons. He has been nothing short of terrible, thus his cut-price sale to the barcodes and there current position of trying their utmost to replace him. He has lost his pace, ability to beat a man and hasn’t weighed in with assists or goals.

As bad as MGP has been this season , Duff has been worse; at least Morten will chip in with a half a dozen or so goals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.