BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Duff Completes Switch

Was just about to post something very similar. Duff should not be brought back. There's no room for sentiment if you want to progress in today's game. He was brilliant for us but we eventually got over losing him and to bring him back now would be a mistake.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he signed for Newcastle we all hoped he'd find the form from his Blackburn/early Chelsea days but that hasn't been the case, he's been nothing short of awful and our turnaround in form happened when Keegan kicked him and Smith out of the team, all his pace has gone and he struggles to get past anyone anymore.

N'Zogbia is a far better player than him now.

Badge kissing incident well out of order.

I still class Duff as a 'Blackburn lad' though, in that he matured alongside the likes of Dunn, Taylor, Johnson in the youth team - even Jansen latterly. Heady days in terms of young committed lads with a real allegiance to the club.

Although his pace might have gone, I still have a hunch that a smart manager could still find a role for Duff in the midfield. The amount of time he used to buy for our midfield with his intelligent runs meant a lot of pressure subsequently taken off our defence.

Used economically Duff could still be a useful player.

Of course, the Mags would have to pay up his contract before we could even consider taking him, so it would probably not happen.

Hold on, we can't have this "Duff enjoyed his best days at Rovers" rubbish, that would mean the coaching staff at the time would've known what they were doing. And of course he enjoyed his best days under Souness.

Nah, can't be having that, rant rant rant!

:s

Badge kissing incident well out of order.

Although his pace might have gone, I still have a hunch that a smart manager could still find a role for Duff in the midfield. The amount of time he used to buy for our midfield with his intelligent runs meant a lot of pressure subsequently taken off our defence.

That mourinho is realy a poor manager.

Those were the days, why not bring back Bryan Douglas whilst your at it; ive heard he was good in his day :rolleyes:

I still class Duff as a 'Blackburn lad' though, in that he matured alongside the likes of Dunn, Taylor, Johnson in the youth team - even Jansen latterly. Heady days in terms of young committed lads with a real allegiance to the club.

Personally I believe that this is Damiens biggest problem...that being he has never really matured :rolleyes: He has, as Bazza says, been bloody awful over the last few seasons and even worse when wearing the Green shirt :angry2:

Yes, Mourinho is a good manager. He also got a good season out of Duff, who was arguably their most dangerous player for a while, before Abrahamovic started orchestrating signings and Duff was pushed down the ladder (somewhat undeservedly in my opinion at the time). Things went sour from then on. (Signing for Newcastle being the obvious point of no return)

Hughes will do the right thing, I hope bringing Duff back is a possibility and something Hughes would want, because nothing would be better than seeing a fully fit Duff in a blue and white shirt again.

Not good enough for the Barcodes?......NOT good enough for us.Well past his best and the injuries are a real concern,and please, less of the sentimental bull! :rolleyes:

Mmm, we have several players that were "not good enough" for their former teams and they seem to be doin OK at Ewood.

So your statement SG194, are you saying then you have 100% trust in the Barcodes judgement of players? :rolleyes:

I am not saying we sign him, not advocating a duffers come home campaign, just saying we should not be so quick to rule it out without our own evaluation from our Manager and coaching staff. If they deem it worthy of dropping a few bob on him then I'm with them. If not then I trust their judgement in that too

Edited by USABlue

no disrespect to dunny !

but as proven ... once theyve gone they dont come back the same as when they left

injuries as proven with dunny can really take its toll... im not saying duff isnt a good player...infact hed be my best ever rovers left winger...but .... the times they are a changing ... you cant turn back the clock and expect him to be the same as he was

.. what am i saying ?

ALL YOU NEED IS DUFF !!!....cant help it ..bring back 2001

Edited by Jason Rover

He continued this fine form in his first season at Chelsea. However a series of bad injuries, a change in mentality and an apparent disdain for training has seen the demise of a once great player.

I've not heard that but it fits. Strange that he apparently was known to frequently cycle from Hurst Green to Brockhall when he was here.

Used economically Duff could still be a useful player.

Of course, the Mags would have to pay up his contract before we could even consider taking him, so it would probably not happen.

I'd suggest that was somewhat contradictory leftfooter. :)

Edited by thenodrog

You'd have thought Rovers had learnt their lesson from bringing the struggling David Dunn back than go for another struggling Duffer, i'd like to think that Rovers are a progressive club thus ruling out any return for Duffer.

You can progress and still be resigning players. There was a time when we would have loved to have had Shearer back, or Duff back before injuries ruined him. He isn't the same player, that is why we shouldn't sign him. He isn't very good.

You can progress and still be resigning players. There was a time when we would have loved to have had Shearer back, or Duff back before injuries ruined him. He isn't the same player, that is why we shouldn't sign him. He isn't very good.

Agree, and so can the same can be said about David Dunn he isnt the same player he was as his body cant take it, sad but true.

Dunn has had some good games for us this year (Everton away and Bolton spring to mind)

As people have mentioned earlier, having Duff would put pressure on MGP and also give us a few options because he can play off the front man too.

I'd take him back --> fee and wages being reasonable, if not then leave it.

:rover: no bigger fan than me off duffer,let the memories remain and let him sign for some championship club,unfortunatley due to injuries,thats his level :brfcsmilie:

I doubt that will happen. He still has three or so years on his contract! I am sure he would rather pick up the 70k a week left in the reserves than get paid 20k to turn out for Sheffield Wednesday or QPR.

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off, I am not sure why so many people are. Players often have huge downturns in their career to again at least partially rescale the heights - Santa Cruz would be a fine example, as would Frank Lampard or Teddy Sheringham. Sure Duff's game is more about pace, but that's not everything.

As I have said before the only way we can get our hands on top class players is if 1) no one knows about them or 2) They are percieved to be "past it".

So Duff warrents a look, even if it is only to ultimately discard the option. It comes down to whether Sparky and the team think they can rehabilitate him.

If we went around saying we would take nobody who was in bad form or had injury problems in the past we would have very few options in the transfer market and be missing quite a few of our best players right now.

Our future as a successful club depends on nurturing a reputation of getting "past it" international performers back to their best.

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off, I am not sure why so many people are. Players often have huge downturns in their career to again at least partially rescale the heights - Santa Cruz would be a fine example, as would Frank Lampard or Teddy Sheringham. Sure Duff's game is more about pace, but that's not everything.

Giggs would be the perfect example. He was written off years ago - and while he might be a bit over the hill now - he's gone on longer than people expected at the very top level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.