BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy Players....

With a lot of the old-men out of the club and Hughes looking for a youthful team, there will be a good chance to see the lads who have graduated through our academy in Brockhall.

Who would you give the chance to don the Blue and White halves for the Senior team?

JAY McEVELEY: (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

This left-back had a vast experience of 1st team football and is also an U21 International. A defender who can link up with the midfield with good effect, but his main qualities lie in defence. A tough tackler who doesn't lack pace and is a good reader of the game. My recommendation if Mikey Gray looses form or gets injured!

ANDY TAYLOR (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

Can play anywhere in defence but usually at the left-back spot. Has been off on loan to Blackpool and QPR last season and is currently playing an active part in Rover's pre-season campaign.

EDDIE NOLAN (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

Central defender who is a regular in the Reserves. Capped at all levels with Republic of Ireland through their youth squads and is capable of scoring goals from set pieces.

TONY KANE: (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

Has been given rave reviews from Northern Ireland youth International teams. Another tough tackler who can play at either right or left back and will always get forward. Thought of highly by Hughes and maybe couldbe given a bit of a chance in the rest of the Pre-Season. Could be good cover is Neill decides to move on.

KEITH TRACEY (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

Plays on the left wing and will create chances for the team. Has already played for Rovers in pre-season lat summer.

RALPH WELCH

Don't know much about him, but plays of the right-side of midfield. Ex-Scouser and could be useful to draft in behind DB if Brett departs.

MATT DERBYSHIRE: (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

Promising striker who has a great key for goal. Loaned out to Wrexham in January and scored 10 goals in 16 games. Quick and an excellent attitude to the game and would expect to see much more from him this season. Initially he would be useful in enter the fray with 30 or so minutes remaining for that added bit of pace upfront to create havoc for defences.

PAUL GALLAGHER: (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

Hard working striker who has benefitted from his loan spell at Stoke. Picked up an injury whilst there, but still managed 12 goals in both League & FA Cup. Not a targetman, but will create chances for his strike-partners.

To me the main lads that I would want to be brought in and given the chance are: -

Jay McEveley

Tony Kane

Matt Derbyshire

Paul Gallagher

How about a poll on this one?

Edited by rover_groo

I reckon the best prospect is Sergio Peter and he's not on the list. Not yet nearly good enough to compete with Pedersen but should be given a few chances in "easier" games or from the bench.

Gallagher isn't really a prospect anymore IMO. He's at the age now where the club should have decided whether or not he's good enough to remain at the club. I can see him being given a few chances this season and if he performs well then maybe he'll make it but otherwise I suspect he may be leaving next summer.

Out of all those, I hold out the biggest hope for Derbyshire, Taylor, and Treacy. If something happened to Michael Gray, I wouldn't be upset to see Taylor given a go at left back.

Also, Joe Garner is now 18 years old. I would suspect that he'd need to make a breakthrough into the first team picture within a year or two if he's going to make it at the Premiership level.

Don't you need to add Sergio Peter to the list?

Sergio is a stong member of the 1st team.

He has proven it last season and with McEveley, Derbyshire, Gallagher hardley/not featuring under Hughes last season then thats why i listed these players again.

I think some of the players you name have now been released.

All are still with the club, only doubt is Ralph Welch

Whatever happened to Fitzgerald, the young Irish center-back?

He was released at the end of 04/05 season and joined Bury on a free.

Struggled for a while to get into their starting XI last season, but should be now a starter for them. Still a regular with the ROI U21s and is out of contract in June 2007. I was surprised to see him leave on a free and is being tipped to make a call-up to the Senior ROI squad.

what happened to the young swedish defender ollson i think?

we signed him up after awsome reviews?

Again as someone said that Ollson has been signed for the future and will struggle to get ahead of Mikey Gray and Jay. however should see more of him next season. No awesome reviwes, just recommended to MH from Stig Inge Bjornebye i think.

JAY McEVELEY: (inc. pre-season tour of Germany)

This left-back had a vast experience of 1st team football and is also an U21 International. A defender who can link up with the midfield with good effect, but his main qualities lie in defence. A tough tackler who doesn't lack pace and is a good reader of the game. My recommendation if Mikey Gray looses form or gets injured!

I don't think Gary Neville, Luis Garcia, Mario Melchiot and Gills and Ipswich fans would agree with that.

If anything, he's defensively weak when players run at him.

I agree, however, he's comfortable on the ball and a tough tackler - perhaps too tough. He broke Sukur's leg in training, damaged Delaney's cruciate ligaments in a 50-50, and didn't help Djibril Cisse either (although that was a freak accident). Ipswich fans like him, though, for his whole-heartedness.

I would rather see Andy Taylor deputise for Gray than Jay or Matteo. People seem to have only good things to say about him apart from, perhaps, a slight lack of pace. Last pre-season he did well filling in for Lucas Neill but I seem to remember reading that he did struggle in one match to deal with the pace of Michael Reddy.

Plus, Taylor seems to have the right temperament. McEveley has admitted to being arrogant and throwing strops when he wasn't picked (under Souness). Andy Taylor isn't that sort of guy.

Also, Joe Garner is now 18 years old. I would suspect that he'd need to make a breakthrough into the first team picture within a year or two if he's going to make it at the Premiership level.

Garner has been overtaken by Raff De Vita as the new white hope from the academy, in terms of strikers.

Edited by rover6

Already seen 1st team action = Jemal Johnson – Gally – Peter – Derbyshire

Not far off = De Vitta - Barker – Andy Taylor – Kane – McEveley – Garner

Plenty of names there, just up to them to show how much they want it and I believe they will get their chance, as Hughes has shown with Peter

Garner has been overtaken by Raff De Vita as the new white hope from the academy, in terms of strikers.

Hadn't really heard about this, and have to admit I'm intrigued by it. De Vita is also 18 (though will be 19 in September), but that marks the extent of my knowledge on him. Anyone know what type of player he is? His prospects for the future? And has Garner simply not panned out as he's gotten older, or is it too early to give up on him?

Agree with your sentiments on Andy Taylor, by the way.

I'm just going off of one game here, but of the above mentioned DeVita and Nolan struck me as the ones to really keep an eye on (and Pezzoni as well). However they won't be up this season unless something goes very wrong. But with UEFA and not a huge squad as is, chances might come up that normally wouldn't be there for the lads.

De Vita has the goods getting to the box, but finishing's the big question mark I saw. Nolan was a dynamo in the center of the park and that's grand seeing as we have some aging central midfielders in the ranks.

I'm intrigued to see how those two Frankfurt purchases pan out. Can't help but think those two lads popped up on the radar due to the game here in Dallas between the two teams' academy sides.

McEveley was one of the best prospects in the premiership under souness i remember that match against united were golden balls struggled to get past McEveley and comanted in the interview after the game how impressed he was.

Edited by pick32

Its time for McEveley to but his injuries behind him and make that left back position his.

I think once we have signe Benni that our team is almost complete. I think if we can keep Neill then we only need a right winger & a creative midfielder.

McEveley was one of the best prospects in the premiership under souness i remember that match against united were golden balls struggled to get past McEveley and comanted in the interview after the game how impressed he was.

Jay did have a very good game - but you have to remember Becks struggles to get past most full-backs. I've not quite given up on Jay - but he hasnt progressed as well as I thought.

:D

McEveley being defensively weak and Ipswich fans appreciating his effort and ability going forward are not contradictory. The same could be said about Rovers fans and Mickey Gray.

Unless he starts putting in good showings at centre half, I can't see him having much of a future at Rovers. He's definitely not up to it at left back - for the Prem anyway. And certain people, like Roversmum, have been particularly scathing about his occasional performances for the reserves at centre half - so a move away might be best for all parties.

Edited by rover6

yeah and since then it all went to his head and he has kind of struggled through injuries or poor form etc.

he has the talent, hughes and the coaches will sort him.

This young player by the name of JORDAN BOWEN who Just turned 14 and has already played for the under 18`s last season!!Bowen is very highly thought of and was signed from Man U.

IPB Image

Blackburn Rovers have Raided Germany again and in particular FC Eintracht Frankfurt.Rovers have signed 2 of the best German talents from Eintracht Frankfurt , MARIO POKAR and striker JUVHEL TSOUMOU.Both are German internationals.The Academy already have Germans KEVIN PEZZONI and MAMADI KEITA as well as SERGIO PETER on there books.

IPB ImagePokar(Middle row Far left TSOUMOU(back row 2nd left

MAMDIA KEITA- A 16 yera old German Gem is very highly thought and has been given a 4 year contract.The German Youth star is veru strong and skillfull and is worth keeping an eye on.

Irish recruits, Darragh Tuffy(Defender)Conor Kavanagh(Striker)from Limerick and Gavin Gunning(defender)from Dublin, are also starting their careers with Rovers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.