BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every player has his day, even a poor one. I think that yesterday night was MGP's.

I don't believe he is reinvigorated, that the team changed its approach or any of that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that MGP is finished as a top level player or that he will never regain his past form, but it will take far more than one performance to believe that he is turning things around.

The pansey Newcastle defence is the ideal next opponent for the "restored resurgent" MGP to carry on building his game/confidence.

He has been steadily improving this year but the fact an OK performance against Notlob is seen as showing signs of a second coming only underlines how far his game had fallen apart.

Lets give all the positive support he needs.... (and a big hug from Jan)

There was a difference in the team as a whole yesterday with Benni and MGP clearly playing better than before the 'mid season break'.

Looking forward to a strong second half to the season.

But for 20 mins in 2nd half Bolton were on top, Benni and MGP disappeared and I don't think its any coincidence that their attacks came via our left (see a sprawling Warnock). I suspect Pederson has been given a bit more of licence to go forward in undoubtedly reinvigorated tactics

You are wrong. There has been a lot of nonsense talked about his defensive qualitites. He has been abysmal defensively as well as in an attacking sense all year. If putting in a defensive shift consists of running back, on the wrong side of the attacker, looking at the ball as if it were an alien and generally doing everything wrong (tackling at inopportune times, not tackling when it's been possible), then he's been putting one in. If it involved anything else, he hasn't. His input, in the past, has been his goals, because he certainly has never been good at other things. If he scores goals, he's probably worth keeping. If he doesn't, he isn't.

Wasn't at the game yesterday so cannot comment on the improvement. Will be interested to see if it continues.

I just wouldn't agree with that. He is a much more consistent defender than bentley or Dunn. He gets his foot in and closes players right down.

What will be interesting is that if Pedersen has more licence to get forward Warnock might struggle a bit. He is a very attacking full back so may find the change of approach difficult.

One other thing that is worth considering also is that bolton are not a great attacking team post Anelka, and we were at home, so we could afford to throw players forward. It will be interesting to see how Pedersen plays against a decent right winger like Milner, albeit with a rubbish defence behind him.

I hold my hand up and admit ive given Pedersen a lot of stick since the season has started.

However, on Sunday he played the best i have seen him play in a long time. Running at players, taking them on, his crossing was near enough perfect.... and he scored! Hope this is a sign of things to come as we continue forward to St. James'.

My only concern is that Warnock looks like he's been struggling of late... hope he bounces back against the barcodes!

I've been saying for months that MGP has been playing deeper than he used to and not making the ame runs to the back post.

From the off on Sunday MGP (and Bentley) both played further forward. As result Bolton had to worry about MGP rather than the other way around.

If MGP keeps making those far post runs and pushing forward in the same manner he'll get back to making the impact he did a while ago.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure a fair few people on here will be delighted with the story that runs in Norway's most selling tabloid, VG, tonight. ^_^

Gamst is apparently in line for a massive £50k a week contract! :lol: Earlier it has been rumoured that his new contract would be on around £45k a week, but since he has attracted interest from other clubs the salary is likely to be on £50k/week for his new contract without a release clause. All this numbers are in according to the big Norwegian tv channel TV2.

Apparently he's on £35k/week at the moment. So how much are Rovers going to offer Bentley then? Surely you can't say that £60k is too much anymore :blink:

Edited by pks1984

• 3 months later...

There is an interview with MGP in Norwegian media today:

"65% Rubbish"

Which is Morten's description of his own perfomance last season. He admits only the last part was up to scratch. Other points worth noticing:

- He's training a lot more strength this season.

- Ince has challenged him to score at least 10 goals this season.

- Says Annan has impressed (Annan plays in the Norwegian League)

- Praises Tugay a lot, and hopes the club can find a younger version of him.

Exactly the sort of thing I needed to hear from MGP. Before MH left I'd remarked that his next great performance would be for his next club. With Ince's arrival I'd hoped it could spur a revival in his form. That interview makes me more hopeful.

That Norwegian thing about using either your mother or father's surname has resonances. There used to be a Lancashire thing of giving the first born a second "christian name" of the mothers's maiden name. My elder brother has our mother's maiden name as his second "christian name."

Does this ring any bells with anyone else? I'm sure it was common practice.

Yes you're right about the Lancashire custom Colin. Although come to think about it; it is more widespread than that. Very common also in Scotland; in fact probably more common today than it is down south.

EDIT: OOPS! I just noticed the date on Colin's post. Sorry folks and I hope Colin is still around to read it. It does not actually take me 2+ years to reply, but I was just scanning this thread and had not noticed the date when I got to Colins original post.

Edited by Fife Rover

• 1 month later...

Hughes persevered for over 18 months with Pedersen doing very little. I wonder if Ince will continue to make the same mistake.

He was awful yesterday regardless of position. No pace and no willingness to try and do anything to influence the play going forward. He has no ambition when approaching a full back to actually go past him on the outside to put a cross in.

However he's been ineffective on the left for years also. His corners and free-kicks, which once were a weapon, are no longer producing. He still seems reluctant to get into positions to have efforts on goal, let alone be scoring at the rate he did in his first season.

Treacy offered more drive going forward than MGP ever has yesterday. The young lad is still learning but I feel it's time to let him have a spell in the team. He might not be great but he doesn't have much to be greater than.

Andrews is getting stick for his performance yesterday on the other thread, but he looked like a cross between Keane, Viera and Maradona compared to our 'Norweigan Beckham'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.