BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Signs !

Very happy he's finally signed, he is a good player with pace and flair. I think the Axe may have told Benni about how good the club is in as how its run and that may have sold him on us and not the other clubs who were in for him.

Benni & Roberts upfront next season could be very interesting and a threat to many Premiership defences will be slightly worried about facing that pair. Strength, pace and flair we now have all three upfront.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant signing, dare I say that we are actually stronger equipped up front than last season. Bellamy leaving enabled us to get Roberts, McCarthy, Jeffers and now this should give us some strength in depth and in McCarthy some respect against European opposition in the UEFA cup.

Bet Mido is enjoying his days training with the juniors.

Happy days

Those Hammers are bitter and twisted aren't they?

Rovers boring - our games against them finished 1-3, 3-2 and 2-4 last season didn't they? Perhaps WHammers prefer 1-7 as a scoreline?

Anyway, I reckon Sparky has some work to do to get Benni right both physically and mentally but presuming the lad is willing to put the work in, he certainly seems to have the attributes to be an extremely effective all-round striker again.

He seems to have purple seasons every so often- Rovers have to make sure 2006/7 is the first of several consistently great seasons.

PS Hope he enjoyed scoring his brace against the Mancs and fancies more of the same!

Fantastic signing IMO.

After him breaking his leg last season, I thought all was under the carpet and was a thing of the past. Mido, his agent and Roma have pished us about and were supposedly holding us to randsom. All they were interested was the financial end. Benni seems eager to continue to develop his career and wanted the move to England and never did we hear about him playing down his interest in Rovers.

Well done to Hughesy, John Wiliams and everyone else involved in this and last but not least Benni himself.

Proven International striker, scorer of 2 World Cup goals and a well renowned striker in Europe. Will get ANOTHER BRACE against Utd at Ewood in November.

:rover::rover:

Well Gally, Dearbyshire nor Johnson will be here by the end of August, so thats the point- we have 4 strikers now. Still need one more IMO as Hughes has already said

Can't really see it, John Williams was quoted as saying there was room for one more striker when Roberts signed. Can't see Gallagher and Derbyshire being allowed to leave.

Not expecting miracles from Benni and Jason, certainly not Hughesey's wildly optimistic 30 - 40 goals but if they can come up with 25 goals in the League between them and MGP contributes another 10 we should be well placed.

Can't really see it, John Williams was quoted as saying there was room for one more striker when Roberts signed. Can't see Gallagher and Derbyshire being allowed to leave.

Not expecting miracles from Benni and Jason, certainly not Hughesey's wildly optimistic 30 - 40 goals but if they can come up with 25 goals in the League between them and MGP contributes another 10 we should be well placed.

Well Hughes told the LET only a few days ago he wanted 2 new strikers in. And yes, Derbyshire seems set to join Mike Newell at Luton Town on a season long loan.#

EDIT:Cant find the article Im looking for but here is a quote he used on skysports on the 20th,

" We've got a number of targets that we're actively pursuing but we need to bring in one more striker [/b]at least and we hope to do that in the next couple of weeks."

Edited by greggyk

Anyone have any idea of his receny goal scoring record, would look it up myself but at work

2005-06 Porto 23 3

2004-05 Porto 23 11

2003-04 Porto 29 20

2002-03 Celta Vigo 14 2

2001-02 Porto 11 12

2001-02 Celta Vigo 2 0

2000-01 Celta Vigo 19 0

1999-00 Seven Stars 20 12

1999-00 Celta Vigo 31 8

1998-99 Ajax 19 11

1997-98 Ajax 16 9

1997-98 Ajax Cape Town 7 3

1995-96 Seven Stars 29 27

welcome benni, i'm conviced he'll bag 10- 15 this campaign.

anyone who thinks we have a stronger front line must be taking some serious drugs.

We will miss bellamy in so many ways. Rather similar to when we lost duff. Oposition players used to try and double up on bellamy because he was so good, so it left areas open for other players.

same thing used to happen with duff.

everyone then convinced themselves pre season that we were better off without duff, as we had reid, emerton and fergusson.

how wrong was everyone then!

i hope benny and roberts do well and will get behind them, but If I had the choice, i would have had bellamy no questions!

anyone who thinks we have a stronger front line must be taking some serious drugs.

We will miss bellamy in so many ways. Rather similar to when we lost duff. Oposition players used to try and double up on bellamy because he was so good, so it left areas open for other players.

everyone then convinced themselves pre season that we were better off without duff, as we had reid, emerton and fergusson.

i hope benny and roberts do well and will get behind them, but If I had the choice, i would have had bellamy no questions!

How did you know I was on drugs?

Are you psychic man?

Btw I still maintain you are wrong. Bellamy only played half the games. And we didn't have the choice. There is no point moaning about it.

PMA

Yes, but Reid wasn't the player he is now, Emerton didn't (big error there!) deliver the goods often enough and Ferguson was a big baby. If these two can form a good partnership than that is better than just having Bellamy up there. Don't underestimate the skills of Benni, while Roberts showed last year that he can cause anyone trouble. If we can also add another striker as well as some other things I would be very pleased. We can also now play balls into the box and someone just might be able to head it!

Edited by Eddie

I don't think anyone underestimates the effects of the loss of Bellamy, AndyC.

But what would you have us (including Hughes) do? We have to deal with what has happened and who we can afford to bring in. Under the circumstances Hughes has done exceptionally well.

great news. Roberts and McCarthy Upfront is certainly a Powerful forward line that will cause teams problems. Hopefully with a full Pre Season under him Jeffers can weigh in with afew aswel. Has anyone got any scoring stats on McCarthy? I wonder if this will be our last signing of the summer. Still think we need a creative player.

Im really pleased with the signing, I think it starts to look really positive for the new season. Is there an issue though with the number of non-eu players that we are allowed to play at any one time. We have at least 6 now - briedel, neill, emerton, axe, benni, nelsen. Maybe another reason why Valencia may not be an option for us.

why so optamistic ? :rolleyes:

people should have more faith in MH. his record as rovers manager demands that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.