BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre-season

My worry is the way we seem to be conceding goals very easily regardless of the rotation of defenders.

Not worried that we get beat in friendlies but the reports of our preformances is of a great concern and doesn't fill you with great confidence for the new season - however, personally I am not filled with that much confidence anyway at the moment and feel a mid to lower end table finish for the coming season without really being in trouble of relegation

Scotty Posted Today, 12:43

Up front Kuqi surpassed himself by missing two glorious chances when it seemed easier to score.

Come on Scotty stop trying to wrap it up in roses - this is Kuqi as we know him :(

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capt, agree entirely about the defence and a mid-table finish. Suppose the only saving grace for the back four is that, from what I've read there's always been one or two 'squad players' in there (Matteo, McEveley, Mokoena...... hmmm, there's a pattern developing - keep anyone who's name starts with M out of defence.....). I think it's expecting a lot for the regulars to re-assemble and hey presto everything's fine and also that the 'squad players' aren't going to be needed at times.

Thank God teams such as Newcastle and Villa havent signed many players either. Its amazed me how late teams are leaving the majority of their business-Rovers included. I mean I know that you can pick up some good deals at the end of the month but a) its blimmin risky if thats what the club are doing (ie with a right midfielder) and b it means Matteo et al. will probably get a game this month-and perhaps even longer if we cannot get the right players in.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

I think the woes about the defense are hopefully misplaced. We've got the same personnel as last season. Pre-season, Hughes has played Todd and Zura sparingly and given the Axe, McEveley and Matteo good runs at the back which they have failed to impress with. If all goes well in the transfer market, those three will find at least six players ahead of them during the season proper.

I know we went from having the tightest defence around in the second half of 04/5 to averagely tight 05/6 but why should it fall apart 06/7?

Agreed we need to get Ooijers in and keep Neill motivated and at Ewood with a fully fit Admiral at the top of the wish list.

Gray does worry me though.

"Acuna faded badly after a promising start and his lack of speed may ultimately count against him when Hughes decides whether to offer him a contract or not." Citizen

Must say that I just don't think he will be good enough. I've no idea why. Maybe it's because he seemed delighted at getting a three year deal, tied with the fact that no-one [OK FLB?] else seems interested.

I thought this before Perth Rovers post.

"Acuna faded badly after a promising start and his lack of speed may ultimately count against him when Hughes decides whether to offer him a contract or not." Citizen

What were everyone's thoughts on him in the game?

Had a few good touches and put a lot of effort in getting the ball back. Problem was it was because he kept giving it away, he is no Tugay. I would doubt if has done enough in that game to be seen again, but all depends on what he has been showing in training and perhaps if he plays today.

This is what BBC thinks of Rovers and the comng season - Key man lucas neill. Bloody hell what are they on...

BLACKBURN ROVERS

Latest club news

Nickname: Rovers

Ground: Ewood Park

Capacity: 31,367

Last season: 6th

Manager: Mark Hughes (September 2004)

In: Jason Brown (Gillingham), Francis Jeffers (Charlton), Benni McCarthy (Porto, undisclosed), Jason Roberts (Wigan, undisclosed)

Out: Lorenzo Amoruso, Craig Bellamy (Liverpool, £6m), Paul Dickov (Manchester City), Gary Harkins (Grimsby)

BBC Sport verdict: Surprised many by qualifying for Europe - but have lost a potent threat in Liverpool-bound striker Craig Bellamy.

Jason Roberts and Benni McCarthy will hope to fill the gap - while Francis Jeffers has been given one more chance to prove himself at Premiership level.

Supporters should be pleased if they can have another season like 2005/06.

Key man: Lucas Neill. Had a good World Cup, and an important man in defence.

(bbc season preview on www.bbc.co.uk)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.