BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walkersteel Blackburn End?

I don't disagree with you SG194, merely pointing out the vale of the ST, even greater if you take a junior/child.

I've posted many times on here regarding ticket prices. I feel £36 to watch any game, in any ground is a ridiculous amount of money, it simply doesn't represent value. OK I will stump up £50 a ticket for a semi or final, not because I feel it's value but I have no choice. To date it's been possible, generally, to defend the club's ticketing policy, personally I feel it is now impossible to defend. ST packages represent fantastic value for a family, match by match pricing is now unaffordable for most people. This season I'm just paying for two kids as the eldest is earning enough to buy his own, if I was paying on a walk-up basis it would be £88 against Everton - we would not go at that price. We've decided, not sure why as we've never been before, to watch Stanley when Rovers are away. Not every game but when we fancy it, the main stand walk-up price will be £35 for our little group.

I appreciate all the arguements about quality etc but a local family wanting to watch live footie are more likely to take the kids to Accy than Ewood. The cost of watching football on a walk-on basis at Ewood cannot be defended and personally I can no longer be bothered to try. I expect gates to collapse this season, whatever Hughes achieves on the pitch.

Not going abroad on holiday this year as we have too much expense around the house. Things the family will be doing this summer include, (2 x adults, one x 17 years, one x 14 years), each of these lasts a lot longer than 90 minutes:

C&G final ~ entry and train travel ~ £88.50 (only 3 for this)

Chester Zoo ~ £43.18

Alton Towers ~ £92 (less if we include the disabled discount)

Trentham Gardens ~ £39

Edinburg Festival ~ don't know but it wont be £36 each!!

Alnwick Castle ~ £29

Football is too expensive, gates will fall, hearts will bleed, fans will whinge about Sky etc. There is nothing left to say or do on the subject.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A passing thought. This game is A+, to price, because the club are hoping for 5000 scousers to cough up an extra £11 over a Cat B game. Fair enough, I understand the policy. Two points on this, Everton are rubbish so no Rovers are going to view this as a must see game. Second, and of real importance, the word will be out in the pubs that it is now £36 to watch Rovers. Casual fans won't say "yes but it's only £25 for Reading", the word will simply be £36 to watch Rovers. First game of the season? Bad timing.

We have one VERY big problem though Paul....its looking like we will only have around 11,000 season ticket holders after a very successful season so, using last seasons average gate, that roughly equates to 6-7,000 fans who buy matchday tickets.

That's being disingenuous. Very obviously, and I am sure you mean to allude to that, 6-7,000 fans that buy matchday tickets will be from a fan base some magnitude greater than those figures.

Perhaps a good portion of those fans will have been better off buying a ST, but I'd suggest the great majority are better off being selective, and only paying for the games that they attend.

The club probably feels within its rights to charge a prenimum on these supporters, especially as last season (winning at Ewood in some of the more attractive fixtures)they were treated to a higher quality of entertainment by being selective of their games. Remember, ST supporters commit to forking out, regardless of the results.

Also, a good portion of those that are selective will have an overall spend on Rovers matches that approaches the cost of a season ticket. Upping the price on them, whilst keeping the ST prices relatively static, reduces the gap on the overall spend of the two options. It makes the benefits of owning a ST even more attractive.

The club has to play the same hardball marketing game that ever other (successful) business does.

Personally, I feel there is nothing wrong with feeling that it's too expensive to attend football matches. Perhaps if Rovers were in the lower leagues, it would be more affordable for those fans, but the clubs ambitions lie in the Premiership, so those fans might have to accept paying more for fewer matches.

This season I'm just paying for two kids as the eldest is earning enough to buy his own, if I was paying on a walk-up basis it would be £88 against Everton - we would not go at that price.

Dont forget, 4 days later your walk on fan will be asked to cough up again!!! :o

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Truly frightening prices for this area.Rovers would probably counter the argument with the 'must charge to compete in the Prem' line but by god they are really pushing it to the limit I fear.

Perhaps because it is the truth.

We do not operate in a vacuum or in isolation. And dipsute the flawed maths of several people the club make more money (and thus have a better ability to compete at the highest level) from 18000 paying £30+ than from 22000 paying £20 plus or 25000 paying £10 plus.

That may be the case stuwilky but for how long will that 'hardcore' stay at 18,000 if prices continue to rise....I can only see one sad outcome,I hate to say this but perhaps the club really has outgrown the town on more than one level.

To me its one vicious circle, we cant get enough fans in Ewood so they increase ticket prices :blink: ....thats the politics of the madhouse especially for matches against (with all due respect) unattractive opposition like Everton.

Unfortunately even the die hards will have a financial cut off point.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

That may be the case stuwilky but for how long will that 'hardcore' stay at 18,000 if prices continue to rise....I can only see one sad outcome,I hate to say this but perhaps the club really has outgrown the town on more than one level.

To me its one vicious circle, we cant get enough fans in Ewood so they increase ticket prices :blink: ....thats the politics of the madhouse especially for matches against (with all due respect) unattractive opposition like Everton.

Unfortunately even the die hards will have a financial cut off point.

The public of Blackburn have shown that lower prices make little, if any, difference to the attendance time after time.

The problem being we have to increase revenue to try and battle on the pitch, otherwise we lose our better players because other teams will pay them more, thus leading to lower attendances?

I challenge anyone to find a workable solution!!!! :blink:

And dipsute the flawed maths of several people the club make more money (and thus have a better ability to compete at the highest level) from 18000 paying £30+ than from 22000 paying £20 plus or 25000 paying £10 plus.

That may be true , Stu , but only in the short term . We already have a decent family following but if kids aren't allowed to get in for nowt to compensate for the overpriced tickets then the long term future is bleak . Against Everton andf most away teams I don't think this would affect their support (and our gate money) - they're not going to be bringing kids anyway .

I keep banging on about this but I honestly feel the Rovers are very unimaginative in this area . At least they should try it and see . Who knows ?

So Everton is classed as an A+ game.......I'm sorry to say but to charge an Adult £36 for the ' privilege' of sitting in the Blackburn End is cutting it really close,REALLY CLOSE!! :(

I'm a season ticket holder myself but I cant see many walk- on's being prepared to pay £36 against Everton.

i would say taht is disgusting prices. absolutely rediculous. they are always saying taht it is cheaper on average to buy a season ticket, but for those whom can't get a season ticket due to committments etc etc...then i find that the cost of sitting in the blackburn end..very alarming.

when i was last at ewood before i came out to australia, the most i ever paid for a ticket was 28 quid. i think they reckon it is an a game because of the following that everton will bring. 36 quid is still awful.

Yep the bubble could well burst this season, big time.

Take a look at the home fixtures after the new year, not many mouth watering games there.

I feel unless we're in the top four, the attendances for some of those games could be as low as 15K.

Jeeze, how humiliating would that be. :ph34r:

That may be true , Stu , but only in the short term . We already have a decent family following but if kids aren't allowed to get in for nowt to compensate for the overpriced tickets then the long term future is bleak . Against Everton andf most away teams I don't think this would affect their support (and our gate money) - they're not going to be bringing kids anyway .

I keep banging on about this but I honestly feel the Rovers are very unimaginative in this area . At least they should try it and see . Who knows ?

Id be interested to see what the child matchday tickets are like.

Im with you, although I dont agree with free tickets for kids. I think a token charge, be it a quid, or a fiver (ie taking the kids out of the categorised system), or whatever, is reasonable.

I'm not too sure that the problem is with kids coming to games, juniors ST are the lowest in the Prem and halfway down the Championship and matchday tickets are from £7-£16 depending on which game. The problem imo is the gap between juniors and adults. Parents usually purchase the tickets for their kids but once these kids become adults or shall I say Young adults, the price for a matchday tickets goes from (£7-16) to (£15-£27) or if you want to sit in the BB end, it's £25-£36 depending on which game you pick. Now when a parent or teen sees these prices, he/she's more likely to use their money on other sorts of entertainment.

They are just mirroring what everyone else is doing, (I don't agree either, for the record)

If we aren't careful we'll turn out like the clampits down at the breezeblock, £39 F'ing quid to watch that lot play a flat back 11 against us and we heard them once, got to be the worst atmosphere outside of Charlton, Man Ure, Chelski & Fulham !

IMO we should be charging the away fans what we are charged at their gaff, i.e. Stick the Sarvaners like Chelski, Man Ure & France stick us, why not.

Our club should be aiming to fill the ground for EVERY game with this extra Sky Dosh being how it is rather than stuffing it royally to the locals!

BRISA: GET INTO 'EM ! :rover:

Very difficult one this.

People used to always say sureley we'd be better off having 25000 at £20 per ticket than 17000 at £30 per ticket for example. Ticket revenue is roughly the same for both, but taking into account the far better atmoshphere for a start, increased merchandising and food / drink sales due to the extra people inside the stadium it would sureley be better to price tickets at £20.

HOWEVER, this for what ever reason does not seem to suit the Blackburn public, its been proved time and time again that ticket prices have relativley little impact on the attendance. Unless of course we do somehting silly like putting price at £5 then people will flood in. Although we all seem to moan about prices, when the club do offer reduced pricing the public of blackburn don't take it up. Can't blame the club really for getting fed up with reducing prices for no reward. The so called floating fans who may or may not decide to go to Ewood will sit in the pub bleating on about prices and why they're not going and can't afford to pay that, I gaurantee you that if the game the following week is £5 he / she will still be sat in the pub rather than at Ewood, this time bleating on about either the price of beer in the ground and the parking problems for their reason for not going. Most people on this board have one thing in common - they love Rovers, and yes we may moan about prices but most of us will still go 'cos we support Blackburn. The problem lies with the thousands of so called Rovers fans who don't go to Ewood because, although they won't admit it they dont bloody want to go!, they basically expect something for nothing and will give one reason after another for not attending. Sort the prices out and they'll simply move onto another reason for not going.

I think that making games like Everton A+ is bang out of order though, and needs to be looked at ASAP by the club, and I understand that there are people who support rovers and don't go to Ewood for good reason and also many people who genuineley cannot afford to go, this post is not directed at you so please don't take offence.

If we want a top 4 side for Blackburn we must do our bit. Simple.

:ph34r:

i rember our first season after promotion fronm division 1,it was £75..

the price of footy is too dear and i am on the line of if my ticket had risen this season i would hand on heart have been season ticketless for the first time in 37 years ....its ok quoteing alton towers and other days out but how often do you do these things not twice a week for 9-10 months a year.

its ok quoteing alton towers and other days out but how often do you do these things not twice a week for 9-10 months a year.

That's my whole point ABBEY. Going to Rovers happens at least once a fortnight, or it should, whereas these other things are one-off treats. Football clubs, not just Rovers, are found of comparing themselves with rock concerts, theatre tickets, meals out, Alton Towers etc. The comparison doesn't stand up as these are things we do occassionally, football is a regular event and as such is too expensive.

i agree wholeheartedly, brian.

the long and the short of it, is that the vast majority of blackburn public dont care about rovers (enough).

i dont agree with the spiralling ticket prices,and genuinely sympathise with the loyal fans who are who are being priced out but it's easy for people to use that as an excuse

(whilst they're down the pub watching rovers, on al jezeera, and probably spending more).

Edited by pleasure

if the blackburn end ever got up to 40 pound a game i will not be coming anymore i refuse to pay rediculous prices to go and watch a football match and would not go to chelsea away last season because of it.but luckily i am a season ticket holder and not had a price increase for about 4 years due to loyalty and early bird scheams

I can't afford to pay £36 a game so I don't. I pay £27 or so for the same game by sitting somewhere else. You realise that whichever stand you sit in, you will still be watching the same game of football?! Really, all this constant whinging is beginning to make me grind my teeth. We have to charge similar prices as our rivals if we are to compete with them and yet we are still consitently cheaper than most over the course of the season! Go watch any other top six or even top half club for a season (buying a ticket each week) and I bet it will cost you a lot more bloody money than it costs me to watch Rovers!

I can't afford to pay £36 a game so I don't. I pay £27 or so for the same game by sitting somewhere else. You realise that whichever stand you sit in, you will still be watching the same game of football?! Really, all this constant whinging is beginning to make me grind my teeth. We have to charge similar prices as our rivals if we are to compete with them and yet we are still consitently cheaper than most over the course of the season! Go watch any other top six or even top half club for a season (buying a ticket each week) and I bet it will cost you a lot more bloody money than it costs me to watch Rovers!

Agree with you.

The problem does not lie with Rovers, it is football in general that is bloody expensive. Compared to what you have to pay to watch most other clubs Rovers pricing is competetive. Remember we are the 6th best team in England based on last years performance. To see that level of football costs money, and for the club to retain that status costs money.

I think the question of ambition lies with the people of Blackburn, not the club. The club are very ambitous but I don't think this is matched by the town. Do we want a top 6 prem team or not ?

Brian you confuse me some what ... on one hand you blame the Blackburn Public then on the other start apportioning blame back to the club then football in general.

Surreal as it may seem though I think I know what you are trying to say in aroundabout way (does that make sense?)

I don't want to offend anybody here as valid point are coming from every direction ... however I just shake my head at people who are laying the blame at the Blackburn Public. Its not that they don't want a Premiership team ... its because they can't bloody afford it and there are other contributary factors.. ie not the most affluent area, 'BIG Clubs' competing for support , the cutural element , Non city, media negative, replacement support to name a few. They might not be the most passionate as a collection numerically .. but for those that go they certainly are.

Going back a couple of years ago we had a lenghthy thread on here about the way the game was going and alot of people raised there concerns, alot of which are now being proved correct. Now something I raised was the 'uniqueity' of Rovers and how we are different to probably most clubs (some you can't compare as they have never been in a similar position and probably never will be but I suspect would have the same problem) - this is something I have mentioned whenever this sort of topic raise its head - which it appears to do or has done over the last couple of seasons.

I am not a follower of the 'we have been punching above our weight' comment as I feel we deserve to be where we are but I feel the club over the years have lost track of the type type of person Rovers Fans are who we are as a club - difficult for me to explain but I think most will know what I am going on about (hopefully) - and I think this has been the downfall.

Paul has IMO been one of the best posters with the insight to explain the situation including as many have said our love/hate feeling now of the game in general, and on many a time he always explains in great detail. There have been warning signs about what how pricing was going to go - and like it or not - the dead horse (Lancashire Utd) that DROG has tried to flog to everybody on here is probably the most sensible idea going forward - now most people, me included may not like this idea and it probably won't happen in our lifetime but the way things are going this is how it will more than likely end up - unless something is done about it now drastically.

People can blame -clubs, players , fans etc but there is alot of issues the higher echelons of the game need to answer for and need to sort out now before its too late ..if it isn't already

I think the reason the prices are high is because they know that these type of clubs will bring more supporters and therefore make our attendance up, whilst still charging daft prices.

I think there should be 3 categories

A - Those clubs that finished in the top 6 (or 7 if your one of the top 6)

B - 7th - 14th

C - 15th - 17th + those promoted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.