BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bank Charges/credit Cards/store Cards Etc

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmm.......just got my bank statement showing we exceeded our overdraft limit by £92.47 for two days and incurred £210 of charges. I may have to change my view on this matter......

Just had a major row on the phone and now I'm interested to know of people's recommendations for a new bank. I'm damned if I'll be treated like that when the bank describes my credit record as "excellent for the past 7 years."

Suggestions please. :)

What is their attitude when you make a genuine mistake Stu?

You know what Im like, I wouldnt be with them if the occasional slip up wasnt tolerated. they seem to have a policy that occasional mistakes are tolerated once every so often. Ive only ever paid one charge with them and that was when I missed a payment two months after missing one due to be in Australia - the Australia one was removed without me even asking, I rang up asked to clarify what Id done as I had been in Oz and they offered to remove it!!!

It does seem to be one of those situations where you get the benefit of the doubt as long as you dont take the mick.

Edited by stuwilky

Hmmmmm.......just got my bank statement showing we exceeded our overdraft limit by £92.47 for two days and incurred £210 of charges. I may have to change my view on this matter......

Just had a major row on the phone and now I'm interested to know of people's recommendations for a new bank. I'm damned if I'll be treated like that when the bank describes my credit record as "excellent for the past 7 years."

Suggestions please. :)

Rang the complaints line, put my case forcibly and got £210 refunded plus £30 for inconvenience :)

Still looking for a new bank though

Natwest were my bank for several years before I shifted to 1D, had nowt but problems with them, although their airmiles on the credit card isnt bad - coupled with the fact they always give me a good interest rate when i ring to "cancel my card"

When I first joined Natwest, they were seen as the good "small guy" bank trying to rub shoulders with Barclays and lloyds (with the green emblem before they merged into lloyds TSB).

Now that they are a major high st bank, their arrogance tends to have superseded customer service.

Would not recommend Natwest now. RBS are a much more friendly bunch.

When I first joined Natwest, they were seen as the good "small guy" bank trying to rub shoulders with Barclays and lloyds (with the green emblem before they merged into lloyds TSB).

Now that they are a major high st bank, their arrogance tends to have superseded customer service.

This post is a (failed) p!ss take, right??

Edited by Tris

What on earth are you going on about?

Not sure I understand Nayef's post but talking of Natwest I'd steer clear myself. Our company banks with Natwest, the nature of our business means we have relatively little dealings with them but when we do it's usually a hassle. Two recent examples:

When pin numbers where introduced I entered the number incorrectly which led to immediate card cancellation. With Natwest there is no second chance, one wrong entry and the card is blocked.

Had my wallet stolen last July. Phoned all the card providers without any problem. Natwest? Ha! They couldn't find me. Gave them all the usual details, "Sorry sir you don't have an account with us" You can imagine the conversation from there, it took around 20 minutes to trace the account and cancel the card.

As for RBS - muppets. My wife had an account, went in to her branch one day to open a high interest savings account and transfer money from an existing account to the new one.

"Sorry madam we can't open an account without such and such ID. We need to prove who you are"

"But you've just given me cash from my account!"

To cut a long conversation short, RBS were happy to allow her to close the account, hand over in excess of £500 but wouldn't open a new account because she didn't have sufficient identity! :blink:

Oh my word, this has made me laugh today. I vaguely remember writing this last night!

Somebody should have posted :wstu: after that post!

(I was more than a little tipsy)

I've never had any trouble from what was Giro bank which was taken over by the Alliance & Leicester in a bit of Thatcherite privatisation.

All transactions are done by post so there is no queueing at banks. You can do the money in at your leisure & just drop the envelope in a post box to make a deposit.

They have internet facilities.

All Link cash machines have access to your account. Plus Post Offices if you are out in the sticks.

The only time I did have a problem with my overdrawn account (a bank holiday screw-up) I wrote them a nice polite letter and they wrote me a nice polite letter back to say that they were sorry and that they would withdraw the charges.

Been with them for 30 years.

To cut a long conversation short, RBS were happy to allow her to close the account, hand over in excess of £500 but wouldn't open a new account because she didn't have sufficient identity! :blink:

Thats Gordon Brown's fault not the banks. Its the same at all banks (or should be anyway)

I'm sure some of you will be aware that a case was won some months back that has thrown the whole bank charge regime in to chaos and thousands of people have successfully claimed these charges back. The reason you can claim them back is because its been classed as unlawful in terms of the amount the bank/Credit card company charges you for going over drawn of writing to you to inform you your cc payments is late etc etc.

Not one person has failed in getting their money back so far but eventually the banks/cc companies will have to fight this so get your arses into gear or you may miss out. You can claim for the last 6yrs and the following website has letter templates and numerous case studies and tips to help you along your way.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

Another succesful claim from myself, got a letter from the halifax this morning saying they will pay me back all the charges i have claimed for, plus interest, plus the £120 court fee. Result. :tu:

• 1 year later...
Thats Gordon Brown's fault not the banks. Its the same at all banks (or should be anyway)

I think you will find that it is the Government's attempt at stopping money laundering that is the cause of the identity checks, not Gordon Brown personally, even though he is a tosser

:lol:

Edited by yoda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.