BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 5-0 New Zealand

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent workout and result that has cheered everyone up after some rather iffy pre season games.

McCarthy and Roberts look very promising.....BRING ON THE NEW SEASON!! :rover:

Definitely agree with that Roberts held the ball up well as the central striker and McCarthy played off him very intelligently with some superb control and touches. Thought Gally played some nice passes when he came on and Reid looked good in right mid and right back positions.

Looks like Lucas is definitely going to start at centre back if he is still here next week with Todd or A N Other alongside. Maybe Nelsen is a goner?

Enjoyed the game which Rovers controlled throughout although Brad did have three decent saves to make. Very impressed with the Mccarthy/Robers partnership, to state the obvious, they must be the first choice up front. After this game I'm in the lost one, gained three camp. Last season if Bellamy was out we were looking around for a striker, if Jeffers proves OK, and there was nothing in his play to suggest which way he'll go, we now have three.

NZ were poor opposition, not bad, just a lower standard and we'd have been disappointed if Rovers had not won comfortably. Lucas looked comfortable enough at centre-back, Gray was fine but I'd reserve judgement on Mokoena at RB. Reid was up and down the right doing a lot of work, and would have been my MOTM. Savage ran around as usual and put in 2 or 3 crunching tackles which upset the NZ boys. Overall the team looked fit, passed well, moved for each other. Looking forward to Everton to see if this can be carried through to the PL.

Sat in the Riverside this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Any regulars got remarks about this stand as I'm now considering moving there for the season. Does it get a lot of wind and rain? We're very well protected in the Family Stand.

I think Hughes and Neil have realised that he's a better centre back than right back-although obviously he's good at both. Giving him the slot he wants might just persuade him to stay. Nelsen and Neil centre backs-that looks cracking on paper...now we just need to get a right back in.

By the way what were the squad numbers?

Edited by Somerset Rover!

To be honest, everyone was just OK in my opinion, the opposition was such low quality that Rovers won at little more than a stroll.

i agree with your comments on NZ and we mustnt get carried away by pre-season performances. (emerton looked a world beater in his first pre-season).

a few comments on the game:-

i think we'd be more solid with lucas at RB.

reidy's passing and crossing were abysmal. he wouldnt of looked out of place in the NZ side.

benni was impressive. his movement was excellent. he's a lot cleverer technically than i had realised.

roberts also put in a good shift and linked up well with benni.

both players can hold the ball up and also look a threat when the ball is played over the top.

overall, the signs are encouraging and i'm optamistic for the season ahead. i hope it lasts.

I saw the NZ team at the Duncenhalgh last night - they're all massive.

You were not joking were you? Big buggers, especially those two central defenders.

Pretty much a stroll in the park for Rovers, we were a different class in both skill and fitness. As already mentioned MacCarthy looked a very clever player, but we'd better wait until the start of the season to see how he fares against Prem defenders.

Micket Gray still impressive with the amount of ground he covers up that left wing.

Cracking afternoon out for a tenner. A shame more didn't come along.

Anyone else hear one or two stupid bar stewards booing Neill from the Blackburn end..didn't last long but christ talk about embarrassing :blink:

yep, the booing (about 30 people) only lasted for about 5 mins but must have been obvious to Neil. Nice way to encourage him to stay. Apert from that enjoyed the match although not too much in terms of stiff opposition but it was good to see some positive changes in tactics such as Neil to centre midfield and even benni playing very well in a deep postion for the final 30 mins. Very impressed with Bentley.

benni was impressive. his movement was excellent. he's a lot cleverer technically than i had realised.

The like of which we've not had up front since Duncan McKenzie.

I hope he maintains that level of enthusiasm and workrate. If he does, he'll have a massive season.

His second goal was stunning, I'll have some more of that :tu:

In short

FRIEDEL - 7 (A few good saves)

MOKOENA - 6 (Little to do)

NEILL - 7 (See Mokoena)

TODD - 7 (See Mokoena)

GRAY - 6 (See Mokoena)

REID - 7 (Well taken goal)

SAVAGE - 6 (Worked hard, although could have been sent off)

BENTLEY - 6 (Little impact)

GAMST - 6 (See Bentley)

ROBERTS - 8 (Held the ball up very well)

McCARTHY - 9 (Very impressive performance, took both goals superbly well)

SUBS

PETER, JEFFERS, McEVELEY - 6 (Solid performances from the bench)

GALLAGHER - 6 (Still hold's onto the ball too long)

KUQI, DOUGLAS - 6 (No time to impress)

I was sat infront of Franny Jeffers's wife and dad. They were a pleasure to listen to the whole game. Gotta love those scousers.

Edited by rog of the rovers

did anyone else think that brazil only beat NZ 4-0....making us better? :lol:

i followed the game on rovers.co.uk...sounded like fun but not the most challenging thing of all time.

shame for the kiwi's really but i hear a lot of their squad was unavailable?

rovers goals are on sky sports news within the next hour

Just seen them now. If this is what Benni is going to do for us then WOW.

I dont want to get carried away with him but WOW

I cant wait till next week now so I can yet again say WOW when he scores a hatrick against pompy

Enjoyed the game which Rovers controlled throughout although Brad did have three decent saves to make. Very impressed with the Mccarthy/Robers partnership, to state the obvious, they must be the first choice up front. After this game I'm in the lost one, gained three camp. Last season if Bellamy was out we were looking around for a striker, if Jeffers proves OK, and there was nothing in his play to suggest which way he'll go, we now have three.

NZ were poor opposition, not bad, just a lower standard and we'd have been disappointed if Rovers had not won comfortably. Lucas looked comfortable enough at centre-back, Gray was fine but I'd reserve judgement on Mokoena at RB. Reid was up and down the right doing a lot of work, and would have been my MOTM. Savage ran around as usual and put in 2 or 3 crunching tackles which upset the NZ boys. Overall the team looked fit, passed well, moved for each other. Looking forward to Everton to see if this can be carried through to the PL.

Sat in the Riverside this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Any regulars got remarks about this stand as I'm now considering moving there for the season. Does it get a lot of wind and rain? We're very well protected in the Family Stand.

Would certainly recommend the Riverside. Great view although the facilies obviously not quite up to the rest of the ground. Depends what you want. Have sat in the Family stand and the view and atmosphere are inferior.

If you get seats in Row 10 upwards and away from the ends I doubt you would get wet other than in the most exceptional weather.

Come and join us

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.