BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Deal For Mokoena?

den

This confuses me. Mokoena is obviously a squad player and Hughes wants him solely for filling a gap here and there or to come in as a late minute defensive midfielder. He's shown that he's not up to par for any starting position, at least from last year's performances. The question is, will Mokoena accept his Role Player status or does Hughes see something more for him based on further training and maturation?

He clearly sees him as a squad player capable of doing a job.

Hughes is signalling loyalty to those players who do a job for him. He is making it that bit harder for others to walk out.

I'm sure loyalty has played a part but I wonder whether the terms of the contract - perhaps like Emerton's offer - reflect Mokoena's less than integral role in the team.

At the moment we reckon he can play defensive midfield but right back, centre back, central midfield in 4-4-2? Not sure about any of the latter three, so he's hardly the ideal utility man.

Edited by rover6

Re-reading the posts on this thread, I fear that some of us are falling into the trap of double-standards (I include myself) when it comes to judging players for the sake of not inflicting the slightest criticism on Hughes. I note that not that many people are interested enough to put forward an opinion - but on the issue of Emerton getting a new deal....

Putting diplomacy to one side, what has Mokoena done at the club to prove he is worthy of being kept?

He played the holding midfield role, in the team that defended all the way to survival. My opinion, is that despite his fairly good performances, that does not prove that he is a Prem standard holding midfielder. Just like Jon Stead's goal-getting cameo didn't prove anything - or Dominic Matteo's Herculean showings in central midfield for the Leeds team that eventually suffered the drop (didn't he get Leeds player of the season and their undying respect for those showings?).

Holding midfield, in a defensive-minded team, is imo one of the easiest roles to play. However, Hughes has not trusted the Axe in a 4-4-2, the now preferred configuration, and the fact that Jorge Acuna is being trialled suggests that Hughes doesn't see that stance changing. Moreover, Rovers interest in Ooijer and Matt Taylor's comfortable passage past Mokoena suggest that right back isn't really the role for him either.

Mokoena's dire showings in central defence, particularly the Norwich game when he was reduced to a wreck by Ashton and Huckerby, to the extent that Hughes had to sub him at half-time, clearly show that he's not really up to it at centre half.

Bearing all that in mind - and accepting that his wages are not likely to be big and he is a willing lad who will give it his all - should Hughes really be offering him a new deal? If you want a utility man on the bench - surely you want someone who is half-decent in a number of roles?

McEveley, Emerton, Douglas etc. are freely rubbished but Mokoena is strangely immune. Is it because Hughes signed him? And if so, shouldn't we be more objective in our judgements?

Edited by rover6

Rover6, do you spout tripe on purpose to get a rise or do you really believe the rubbish you write?

I think he's got a perfectly valid point.

I wouldn't be offering him a new deal, as he didn't show anything in games to suggest he was a top6 midfielder. In an ideal world, we'd have 2 players competing for every position. That would only be 22 players and our squad i bigger than that!

Re-reading the posts on this thread, I fear that some of us are falling into the trap of double-standards (I include myself) when it comes to judging players for the sake of not inflicting the slightest criticism on Hughes. I note that not that many people are interested enough to put forward an opinion - but on the issue of Emerton getting a new deal....

Putting diplomacy to one side, what has Mokoena done at the club to prove he is worthy of being kept?

He played the holding midfield role, in the team that defended all the way to survival. My opinion, is that despite his fairly good performances, that does not prove that he is a Prem standard holding midfielder. Just like Jon Stead's goal-getting cameo didn't prove anything - or Dominic Matteo's Herculean showings in central midfield for the Leeds team that eventually suffered the drop (didn't he get Leeds player of the season and their undying respect for those showings?).

Holding midfield, in a defensive-minded team, is imo one of the easiest roles to play. However, Hughes has not trusted the Axe in a 4-4-2, the now preferred configuration, and the fact that Jorge Acuna is being trialled suggests that Hughes doesn't see that stance changing. Moreover, Rovers interest in Ooijer and Matt Taylor's comfortable passage past Mokoena suggest that right back isn't really the role for him either.

Mokoena's dire showings in central defence, particularly the Norwich game when he was reduced to a wreck by Ashton and Huckerby, to the extent that Hughes had to sub him at half-time, clearly show that he's not really up to it at centre half.

Bearing all that in mind - and accepting that his wages are not likely to be big and he is a willing lad who will give it his all - should Hughes really be offering him a new deal? If you want a utility man on the bench - surely you want someone who is half-decent in a number of roles?

McEveley, Emerton, Douglas etc. are freely rubbished but Mokoena is strangely immune. Is it because Hughes signed him? And if so, shouldn't we be more objective in our judgements?

Or could it just be that we don't want to upset Benni?

maybe hes staying on to help Benni settle into the UK so we dont have a lonely homesick £3million striker whos effing useless

McCarthy signed a four-year deal, didn't he? Mokoena has twelve months to run on his, suddenly he's offered a new three-year contract. Seems entirely plausible that McCarthy's arrival has signalled a new deal for The Axe, he's certainly shown precious little on the pitch to justify such an offer.

?????????,i was readin what flopsy posted,so that was my reply...what were u readin??? :rover:

:rolleyes:

Flopsy meant that McCarthy would be useless if he became homesick, therefore Mokoena is being given a contract extension to help him settle in. He did not say McCarthy is useless now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.