BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Deal For Mokoena?

den

• 2 weeks later...

Mokoena is on the subs bench because Hughes signed him - and no other reason. Awful centre back, poor right back, not trusted to play central midfield and supposedly a reasonable holding midfielder.

We hear about the 'mediocre' foreigner who is checking the development of our youngsters, here is a case in point.

Why have Mokoena on the bench when he is crap in just about all positions? Why not give Eddie Nolan or Andy Taylor a place on the bench as they can play in a few positions and are the most promising and experienced defenders in the reserve team? .

If either of the two develop into Premiership players they will save us millions in the transfer market and we don't know how good they are until they get a chance in the big time.

It appears that Hughes prefers experienced ineptitude ahead of inexperienced promise? Hence, Jay McEveley and Jon Douglas, who are by common consensus never going to be good enough, are in the squad. And Aaron Mokoena, a player who can't even play in the position he was signed to play, is on the bench.

Mokoena is on the subs bench because Hughes signed him - and no other reason. Awful centre back, poor right back, not trusted to play central midfield and supposedly a reasonable holding midfielder.

We hear about the 'mediocre' foreigner who is checking the development of our youngsters, here is a case in point.

Why have Mokoena on the bench when he is crap in just about all positions? Why not give Eddie Nolan or Andy Taylor a place on the bench as they can play in a few positions and are the most promising and experienced defenders in the reserve team? .

If either of the two develop into Premiership players they will save us millions in the transfer market and we don't know how good they are until they get a chance in the big time.

It appears that Hughes prefers experienced ineptitude ahead of inexperienced promise? Hence, Jay McEveley and Jon Douglas, who are by common consensus never going to be good enough, are in the squad. And Aaron Mokoena, a player who can't even play in the position he was signed to play, is on the bench.

rover6, i disagree with all of the above. sweeping statements, nothing more.

This isn't necessarily aimed at you pleasure, but a lot of people on here have their mind made up to argue with rover6 no matter what's in the post. If most other people expressed the view, I guarantee people would not be so quick to slate the idea.

Rover6 actually has a very good point here, and it's something I certainly think of. I too would like to see Andy Taylor and some of the other youngsters break through into the first team, but despite having squad numbers they've not gotten an opportunity to feature on the bench.

The one thing I can say in defense of Mokoena is that he's still only 25, and a lot of defenders don't "get it" until they're about 29 or 30. He has some of the raw attributes needed -- he's big, and tough in the tackle -- and maybe Hughes still sees something in him. I would tend to agree with you, that we need better, but surely there must be some reason why this man captains South Africa ahead of Benni McCarthy and others, right?

Douglas and McEveley should be offloaded as soon as we have enough cover at those positions -- with Taylor waiting in the wings, we can offload McEveley now, although I'd wait to dump Douglas until we have some depth in central midfield.

Whatever the case, I'm very skeptical of Mokoena being offered a new deal. I'd love to be able to trust Hughes on this one, but blind faith doesn't get you anywhere.

I thought Aaron had 1 game last season when he came on in midfield and played really well-I was surprised he didn't play again.

Is Hughes likely to bring on an untried youngster in the premiership? As I doubt it , I think putting them on the bench will have limited use.

I thought Aaron had 1 game last season when he came on in midfield and played really well-I was surprised he didn't play again.

Is Hughes likely to bring on an untried youngster in the premiership? As I doubt it , I think putting them on the bench will have limited use.

think that was arsenal (h). the axe has always done a good job for us (when he's played in midfield).

people say he has to play in a 5, but the last time he played in a 4 was at west ham (in the cup) and,

although we lost 4-2, he played very well.

think that was arsenal (h). the axe has always done a good job for us (when he's played in midfield).

people say he has to play in a 5, but the last time he played in a 4 was at west ham (in the cup) and,

although we lost 4-2, he played very well.

WHAT?!!

He was woeful! He was taken off quite early i seem to remember and was so bad a few Rovers fans decided to boo him.

And by a few, i mean a few of a few because there was like 100 of us there :D

Edited by greggyk

WHAT?!!

He was woeful! He was taken off quite early i seem to remember and was so bad a few Rovers fans decided to boo him.

And by a few, i mean a few of a few because there was like 100 of us there :D

i was there, he played around 70 mins didnt he ? i remember him taking pot shots at west ham's goal when it was 4-2. surely i havent dreamt it.

edit:- according to the bbc's match report, he was subbed after 73 mins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/4634310.stm

Edited by pleasure

i was there, he played around 70 mins didnt he ? i remember him taking pot shots at west ham's goal when it was 4-2. surely i havent dreamt it.

edit:- according to the bbc's match report, he was subbed after 73 mins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/4634310.stm

The home game I was thinking of was one when he came on-I really have no idea which one.When you get to my age......

• 3 months later...

Sky Sports are reporting tonight that Aaron Mokoena is to be offered a new 2 and a half year deal by Rovers. They go on to say that he performed admirably as Sav's deputy recently. :blink:

Have we moved into the Twilight Zone or something, he's been pants!!

I say let him go to somewhere like Torquay or something!! :D

JamieUK - I wish I could say the same.

When I find out he is starting matches, it does not give me much confidence. He really makes me worry at centre-half, not as bad in centre midfield.

Problem is that he does not seem to have a football brain.

However, Hughes etc see him every day in training and they must see him as an important member of the squad - so that will do for me.

Edited by John

i think the axe shall i say has been blunt imo.

with the size of the guy he doesn't seem to have any physical presence on the pitch, he's useless in the air and well his passing is awful. has he ever had a shot in a rovers shirt? he doesn't pull the trigger very often then.

he can do a job in front of the back 4 with a 5 man midfield when we used to play 4-5-1 but in the centre of a 4 man midfield he offers very little imo.

when we have taken the lead against a team, and then maybe score again, then aaron in front of the back four is a useful player. however, only in that instance is he any good to us. if we are chasing a game then there is absolutely no point in leaving him out on the pitch or even leaving him on the bench. he has no footballing skills and in my opinion, is really only good at cutting out the long ball before it gets to our defence. if it came down to it, then i would not be sad to see him go as i reckon sav could do a much better job in that position.

He's a very useful player to have in the squad in my opinion...

Why though? He can play badly in several positions, but not a whole lot else. The only position he can realistically play is Tugay's position, I guess he does as a decent sub to bring on for him if we're holding on to a lead. He's never a Savage replacement though, he can't pass (anyone remember that shocking ball against Spurs?), shoot or run so asking him to move far over the half way line is out of the question.

I hope it isn't true about the contract, I'm sure we can put whatever wages he is on to better use. Ultimately he is going to leave us and disappear of the footballing map completely, as a midfielder he's little more than a poor man's Salif Diao.

Edited by LeChuck

If we had the unlimitted resources of Chelsea, we would have a better squad player than the Axe. As it is we are not so blessed.

The man can do a job in the Premiership, does it with good grace and in the general swing of things probably costs us less than most alternatives would.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.