BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Testimonials

I was in the old "exec" lounge in the Nuttall Street stand for Terry's testimonial!

Cant for the life of me remember its name though.

Got the programme upstairs. Signed by the great man himself.

The John Lewis Complex!

Rovers held a testimonial for the late, great Noel Brotherston in the early 90s, after Noel had left the club. A pitifully low crowd saw Rovers lose to Man City.

I can also vaguely remember a testimonial for a guy called Fred O'Donoghue(?) who must have been on the Rovers coaching staff. Rovers played a Northern Ireland International XI and I can remember Jimmy Quinn playing for both sides.

I can remember going to watch Chorley Vs Preston at Ewood in the FAC.

The Blackburn end was full of Chorley, Rovers and PNE, Kicked off big style.

I also remember the Noel Brotherston one, didnt he die in a car crash ?

Will

I was in the Blackburn end that day, I think you'll find it was Chorley&Blackburn v Preston

Chorley were drawn at home but played at Ewood to get a bigger crowd, kicked off bis tyle for ages, coppers helmets in the air all over the place

Edited by berkshireblue

I remember being taken to Bill Eck's, Duggies and Ronnies testamonials. The chance to see Stanley Matthews playing in one of them (can't remember which of the three games) but he didn't turn out on the night because he demanded too much appearance money.

I remember being taken to Bill Eck's, Duggies and Ronnies testamonials. The chance to see Stanley Matthews playing in one of them (can't remember which of the three games) but he didn't turn out on the night because he demanded too much appearance money.

Yes I remember that too. I never saw Matthews in the same light again, greedy sod. The upshoot was that Blackpool, who were very embarrassed obout it, sent a Chinese guy, which was quite a novelty at the time, to take his place. It was a great night.

It was Bill Eckersley's

Edited by Al

Yes I remember that too. I never saw Matthews in the same light again, greedy sod. The upshoot was that Blackpool, who were very embarrassed obout it, sent a Chinese guy, which was quite a novelty at the time, to take his place. It was a great night.

It was Bill Eckersley's

Thank's Al. My memory isn't going after all despite what others might say. I too never viewed matthews in the same way again. He would have fitted in no problem in the modern game with his mercenary attitude.

• 4 months later...

Thank's Al. My memory isn't going after all despite what others might say. I too never viewed matthews in the same way again. He would have fitted in no problem in the modern game with his mercenary attitude.

Sorry to revive this old thread... but having just joined this site, I'm enjoying reading through some of the past messages. Just wanted to add that my Mum and Dad were good friends of Bill Eckersley and his wife, Irene - in fact we lived next door but one - and even as a child I remember Bill's disappointment in Matthews on this occasion. Bill was a very modest and unassuming guy but I remember he was 'gutted' about this. "Superstar" behaviour is common now but it was quite unusual in the 50s and 60s. I seem to recall that most players had to have 'day jobs' to boost their income, even if they also played for their country; as did Bill.

Oh Dear... makes me sound and feel very old... but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Sorry to revive this old thread... but having just joined this site, I'm enjoying reading through some of the past messages. Just wanted to add that my Mum and Dad were good friends of Bill Eckersley and his wife, Irene - in fact we lived next door but one - and even as a child I remember Bill's disappointment in Matthews on this occasion. Bill was a very modest and unassuming guy but I remember he was 'gutted' about this. "Superstar" behaviour is common now but it was quite unusual in the 50s and 60s. I seem to recall that most players had to have 'day jobs' to boost their income, even if they also played for their country; as did Bill.

Oh Dear... makes me sound and feel very old... but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Very nice to hear from a friend of Bill's. He is one of my all time heroes. Even after his retirement I always bought sweets from his shop on matchdays just to see the guy.

I was also at the 2nd Simon Garner testimonial.

I have the following programmes and if you need squad listings then PM me and I'll scribe them down for you:-

• Simon Garner (1st & 2nd)

• Stuart Metcalfe

• Noel Brotherston.

With regards to the testimonials, I felt that Big Col Hendry and Garry Flitcroft were very unlucky not to be granted one due to their long standing and loyal service. Colin done 9 years and 5 months whereas Flitty done 9 Years and 10 months. At the moment Brad has served 6 years and 2 months and with an approximate 2 years remaining on his contract, then it could be unlikely for him to gain one.

I felt that Big Col Hendry and Garry Flitcroft were very unlucky not to be granted one due to their long standing and loyal service. Colin done 9 years and 5 months whereas Flitty done 9 Years and 10 months. At the moment Brad has served 6 years and 2 months and with an approximate 2 years remaining on his contract, then it could be unlikely for him to gain one.

I always thought big Colin should have had one, and even though Mike Newell was only with us 5 years it would have been great to see him have one! Will never forget his hattrick against Rosenberg in the Champions League... :brfc:

With regards to the testimonials, I felt that Big Col Hendry and Garry Flitcroft were very unlucky not to be granted one due to their long standing and loyal service. Colin done 9 years and 5 months whereas Flitty done 9 Years and 10 months. At the moment Brad has served 6 years and 2 months and with an approximate 2 years remaining on his contract, then it could be unlikely for him to gain one.

We HAVE to have a testimonial for Brad. Wild horses couldn't keep me away from that one.

Very nice to hear from a friend of Bill's. He is one of my all time heroes. Even after his retirement I always bought sweets from his shop on matchdays just to see the guy.

Thanks Al... and Bill was a worthy hero... both on and off the field. On one of my earlier visits back to the UK he actually gave me one of his England caps, which I treasure and proudly display in our home.

Just met up with a few of the lads in Sydney... i.e. Dave Birch & SydneyRover who both live in Sydney and a few others Rovers supporters who were here for the cricket. (whoops... don't mention the cricket!) I was made very welcome and it was wonderful to meet them all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.