BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth 3 Blackburn Rovers 0

two yellows is normally a 1 match ban isn't it?

As I've said before, Lucas (although extremely pretty) isn't half as good as he thinks he is. He can't play at centre half- seen him do it live three times and been unimpressed three times.

God we were awful today. I struggle to think of someone who didn't have a stinker. Bentley's too lightweight for centre midfield, and it's a close call between him and Gamst as to who's the biggest coward. They have no guts at all between them and pull out of tackles your average 10 year old would make.

Actually, our man of the match was Savage. He may not be the most talented footballer, but he tries, and he goes for everything.

Reid wasn't dreadful, as well, but he should be playing centre midfield.

Edited by Jan

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all need to keep a little perspective here. We lost our first game last season after playing awfully, but we didn't do too badly in the end. As awful as it sounds like we were, we had a couple of key players out and Neill must be miles behind the others in terms of match fitness. Remember he only started training a couple of weeks ago.

Todd should get his card overturned, so we won't have any extra suspensions for Wednesday, and Neill will only miss the Chelsea game - a game we're probably not expecting to win anyway if we're honest. If we switch Reid to centre-midfield and, dare I say it, play Emerton on the right then we should be a bit more solid and have a bit more energy in the middle of the park against Everton.

Still feel absolutely gutted though.

Well that's the season started then. Sounds like not much went right today, and while I'm not readying myself for life in the Championships, there are a couple of things that concern me. First of all being...

I think we all need to keep a little perspective here. We lost our first game last season after playing awfully, but we didn't do too badly in the end. As awful as it sounds like we were, we had a couple of key players out...

Scotty, I agree with most of what you said, but this is the part that really concerns me. We did have a couple of key players out, but for a team in Europe, the Premiership and two domestic cups, we quite simply have to have more depth than that. It's the first match of the season and a couple of injuries have already made us a shambles. What happens when the injuries and suspensions really start piling up in, say, November?

That's the #1 takeaway I got from this: more depth is clearly needed if we want to steer clear of a relegation battle and stay in the thick of things in the top half of the table.

crap game need oijer and nelsen if possible in defence. Hughes said we will do better against everton on wed. If this result came half way through the season i would be worrying right now but we will bounce back. :rover:

Just like last season, though we didn't score this time.

PSV will really be holding out for $3 million after seeing our defensive cover falling so short....

Nelsen mus b thinking :P

Edited by emglch

We thrashed Wolves a few seasons ago on the opening day of the season. We were humiliated by West Ham on the opening day last season. Hardly indicators of what was to come. Patience.

I remember someone coming on last year and starting a thread to say we would be relegated!

Wonder if they come back. :ph34r:

We should forget about europe, our task for this season is to aviod going down to championship.

After a 0-5 defeat in pre-season and following a 0-3 defeat in the first game, I don't think we are good enough. The performance just tell the truth. Be realistic guy.

We should forget about europe, our task for this season is to aviod going down to championship.

After a 0-5 defeat in pre-season and following a 0-3 defeat in the first game, I don't think we are good enough. The performance just tell the truth. Be realistic guy.

its a bad loss but to say we will be in a relegation battle is a bit harsh spurs and arsenal have not have the best of starts either we will find rythem. :) now if man u and chelski lose then it will be a bad opening to the season for the TOP teams

could not bring myself to post after returning last night. This was about the worst performance in the last 5 seasons.

If I were to give marks out of 10 then only two would make 5: Savage and Brad, and even Brad was inconsistent.

We played the long ball game and only Brett, when he came on and ran at pompey, caused them problems.

Bentley, Axe and Neill were appalling and as for Gamst he was nothing short of a music hall joke. we need to get the wheels back on for Everton on Weds but I dread the thought of Beattie against our defence...of course there is always next Sunday, will we have have defenders left to play against Chelski?

All in all nothing short of a disgrace to those loyal blues who gave up good time and money to watch soft crap :angry:

As you may expect nobody got the full score correct in the predictions but a couple of people got one side of the score correct and in doing so gaining two points.

I'll post a table after the Everton game as we all no that one game doesnt make a season, naybe some posters should be maybe use that view of Rovers' performance yesterday and get behnd the team for the next 37 matches rather than codemming them to the Championship already!

its a bad loss but to say we will be in a relegation battle is a bit harsh spurs and arsenal have not have the best of starts either we will find rythem. :) now if man u and chelski lose then it will be a bad opening to the season for the TOP teams

Plus, Liverpool needed a complete joke of a penalty to STEAL a point at Sheff U. :lol:

Edited by Fife Rover

Yesterday just seemed to be another one of those days where we weren't any worse than portsmounth but they just created the goal chances.

They sat back all game and played like the away team- but it was poor that we couldn't create anything. LONG BALL IS NOT THE FUTURE. I don't think i saew MGP have one run down the line

Plus, Liverpool needed a complete joke of a penalty to STEAL a point at Sheff U. :lol:

The Charlton Pen was even worse than the Liverpool one.

Anyway, I was very down yesterday however today I think that when Nelson comes back and 'The Axe' gets the boot we will be fine. I was also very impressed with Roberts.

Oh yeah and an easy 3 points against chelski will make every thing ok.

Come on :rover:

Edited by Cocker

This has probably got to be the most realistic and best reply on her.

Bollux to the bad day in the office key players missing etc (We only had one by the way -Nelsen) It dosen't wash with me - we have had all pre season and we put in a performance akin to a clown show and we are supposed to be challenging in Europe this season FFS

4 P's - PITIFUL /PASSIONLESS/ PATHETIC AND ME ###### OFF

This was an absolute joke of a performance and inept management of the highest degree.

Only Gray -caught out of position only because Pedersen was non existent bar the free kicks/Friedal (ESPECIALLY) and possibly Todd (can't comment on the sending off as I had walked off by then in disgust, and not the only one for that matter) can come out of the game with any CREDIT.

I said before we even kicked off in the warm up they looked like they where just preparing for a kick about, - nice tans messing about with the ball and looking like they where still on holiday.

It was quite obvious from the start Neill was not interested and should have been subbed at half time, Savgage was like a little girl practising ballet (soft git), quite obvious Reid was not fit and we play him in a different position to is main role last season.Bentley (who is he??) and Mokoena is definitely not a rb - not his fault and tried his best but no positional sense whatsoever. As for the Emerton miss - still convinced all you lovers :unsure: CHANGES where obviously needed and Hughes kept it as it was.

Two dollopers up front who offered nothing , fair enough there was hardly any decent balls to them but they did absolute bugger all when they got the ball, didn't win one header and couldn't control a ball for toffee.

Can't blame the referee as he poor for both sides anyway, as he normally is but the linesman closest to the Rovers fans was an absolute joke and laughing after he had made the decisions against us.

Portsmouth where fitter, faster and ready for it - we where just abosolutely awful - and you have John Williams crying about Football being on in the pubs affecting our attendances - don't make me laugh and they expect people to turn up on Wednesday after this? We had a decent following down there who most will have had a 500 mile or so round trip to watch that pile of .................................

I have my season ticket but even I am thinking of not putting in the effort to go on Wednesday as its certain the players except those named above couldn't today.

What is quite clear is that we are short of any class in midfield, Neill plainly doesn't want to be here, Bentley is just a squad player as is Mokoena and we need somebody with some speed up front.

For those that didn't go - believe me this is no knee jerk and forget about it being the first game of the season - we have problems and it could be a long season unless we get more players in before the deadline and some of the others get a right kick up the arse.

Oh and BTW - as anybody heard from Jordan as he looked like he was going to top himself before the end of the game at the top of the steps -God did he look peed off

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

could not bring myself to post after returning last night. This was about the worst performance in the last 5 seasons.

Obviously you missed Everton away last season. :(

btw We can't drop defenders at the moment with two centre halves on the treatment table but I'd certainly give Peter a run in the starting line up for a few games and to keep Pederson company on the bench I'd put Bentley next to him. We cannot afford too many lightweights in the team for away games.

Yesterday just seemed to be another one of those days where we weren't any worse than portsmounth but they just created the goal chances.

I take it you didn't go OJR , bar the freekicks and Emerton just being Emerton we didn't create anything of worthy note attacking wise.

This has probably got to be the most realistic and best reply on her.

Bollux to the bad day in the office key players missing etc (We only had one by the way -Nelsen) It dosen't wash with me - we have had all pre season and we put in a performance akin to a clown show and we are supposed to be challenging in Europe this season FFS

4 P's - PITIFUL /PASSIONLESS/ PATHETIC AND ME ###### OFF

This was an absolute joke of a performance and inept management of the highest degree.

Only Gray -caught out of position only because Pedersen was non existent bar the free kicks/Friedal (ESPECIALLY) and possibly Todd (can't comment on the sending off as I had walked off by then in disgust, and not the only one for that matter) can come out of the game with any CREDIT.

I said before we even kicked off in the warm up they looked like they where just preparing for a kick about, - nice tans messing about with the ball and looking like they where still on holiday.

It was quite obvious from the start Neill was not interested and should have been subbed at half time, Savgage was like a little girl practising ballet (soft git), quite obvious Reid was not fit and we play him in a different position to is main role last season.Bentley (who is he??) and Mokoena is definitely not a rb - not his fault and tried his best but no positional sense whatsoever. As for the Emerton miss - still convinced all you lovers :unsure: CHANGES where obviously needed and Hughes kept it as it was.

Two dollopers up front who offered nothing , fair enough there was hardly any decent balls to them but they did absolute bugger all when they got the ball, didn't win one header and couldn't control a ball for toffee.

Can't blame the referee as he poor for both sides anyway, as he normally is but the linesman closest to the Rovers fans was an absolute joke and laughing after he had made the decisions against us.

Portsmouth where fitter, faster and ready for it - we where just abosolutely awful - and you have John Williams crying about Football being on in the pubs affecting our attendances - don't make me laugh and they expect people to turn up on Wednesday after this? We had a decent following down there who most will have had a 500 mile or so round trip to watch that pile of .................................

I have my season ticket but even I am thinking of not putting in the effort to go on Wednesday as its certain the players except those named above couldn't today.

What is quite clear is that we are short of any class in midfield, Neill plainly doesn't want to be here, Bentley is just a squad player as is Mokoena and we need somebody with some speed up front.

For those that didn't go - believe me this is no knee jerk and forget about it being the first game of the season - we have problems and it could be a long season unless we get more players in before the deadline and some of the others get a right kick up the arse.

Oh and BTW - as anybody heard from Jordan as he looked like he was going to top himself before the end of the game at the top of the steps -God did he look peed off

C'mon. Out with it Capt, don't be so shy just say what you think instead of beating about the bush so much. :tu:

Aboulte shambles an awful performance and honestly we can only get better. Still along way to go yet. I not going to get on the band wagon of forgot top 6 and where going to be fighting relagation, as thats just crap. Have faith, we lost our first game of last season and look where we finished. i think theres no many Rovers fans who think one bad defeat means you're going to get relagated. First game of the season our rocks at the back out injured, Nelsen and Zurbab. We can still do it. We lost an influential player in Bellamy, but Benni McCarthy can be equally as good. Also pre season means nothing, it's now that matters, we do the talking now on the pitch. Also I think we have all realised, Lucas Neill aint no centre back.

Aboulte shambles an awful performance and honestly we can only get better.

Have faith, we lost our first game of last season and look where we finished. i think theres no many Rovers fans who think one bad defeat .

First game of the season our rocks at the back out injured, Nelsen and Zurbab.

We can still do it. We lost an influential player in Bellamy, but Benni McCarthy can be equally as good.

Also pre season means nothing, it's now that matters, we do the talking now on the pitch. Also I think we have all realised,

Lucas Neill aint no centre back.

Getting confused H501

We hope..as we can;t get any worse

Its not getting beat - its the performance and the way we got beat

Exactly -first game off the season and we should be ready for it - Hughes words that we will hit the ground running.. we weren't even walking , it looked like we where crawling backwards. When has Zurab been our rock?

Not what I saw today he can't..

Yes it does if it means we have put similar performances like that and couldn't realise that Bnetley is no first teamer and Mokoena is not a RB.

Disagree - I think he is quite adpet at CB .. would appear on todays performance though he doesn't want to be be here anymore.

STEADY ON CAPT!! :o

The general opinion seems to be that Rovers players looked neither fit or interested enough and I personally find that appalling for the first game of the season.Lets see how they respond to this defeat with two very difficult home games in a row now....should be an interesting 7 days thats for sure!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.