BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth 3 Blackburn Rovers 0

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were awful against West Ham last year. For that matter we were awful against Pompey last year and they could easily have had a 6 last time we went down there. Until we play another game we have to write it off as an off game.

Something was not right there on Saturday :blink:

Hindsight is easy and I wasn't there either but imo for any away game with a makeshift defence which we were forced to select through injuries (...... and lets face it Mokoena isn't a good full back, Neill hasn't much experience at CH and Gray is vulnerable to pace ........ ) we should have packed the midfield with stronger and more defensive players. It seems apparent that the defence should have been protected more than they were. Pederson and Bentley should have been overlooked in favour of Peter and Emerton with Reid forming a dogs of war partnership in midfield with Sav. Even Douglas would have offered more in a destructive role than Pederson and Bentley.

The old tactic used to be to win the personal battles and stop the other team playing before actually trying to win an away game. I'm suprised MH and his team didn't adhere to that. Maybe if we had been away to a 'top team' they might.

that collective spirit we had, wasn't visible

If there's some sort of unrest at the club, this will still be visible against Everton.

I don't think this will be the case though and we will see a vastly improved performance. :tu:

A question for those at the game...did Lucas really seem disinterested like some have suggested?

From what I saw of watching the 90 minutes "live" on TV "disinterest" isn't really the right word.

"Reckless abandon" would be more appropriate. He got skinned for the first goal, got booked out of clear frustration 60 seconds later and then carried on lunging into tackles with no regard whatsoever for his status of being on a yellow.

There were one or two instances where I thought "He's going to have to watch himself here" before the dismissal actually happened, including bawling out the referee after being pulled up at one point.

When the dismissal did finally happen, it was a no brainer for the ref, lunged in, and just in case the ref was in any doubt, threw the opponent on the ground for good measure.

Crazy when you're already on a yellow.

Whether it's all indicative of him really wanting to be elsewhere, only the player himself can answer that.

It was more than an off game Eddie ... honestly

And to top it all off I got sunburnt on mi bonce!!!!!

How did that happen Capt? you certainly look like you have a good covering of blond thatch in your photo :lol:

Hindsight is easy and I wasn't there either but imo for any away game with a makeshift defence which we were forced to select through injuries (...... and lets face it Mokoena isn't a good full back, Neill hasn't much experience at CH and Gray is vulnerable to pace ........ ) we should have packed the midfield with stronger and more defensive players. It seems apparent that the defence should have been protected more than they were. Pederson and Bentley should have been overlooked in favour of Peter and Emerton with Reid forming a dogs of war partnership in midfield with Sav. Even Douglas would have offered more in a destructive role than Pederson and Bentley.

The old tactic used to be to win the personal battles and stop the other team playing before actually trying to win an away game. I'm suprised MH and his team didn't adhere to that. Maybe if we had been away to a 'top team' they might.

What a lot of people are missing ( not getting at you at all Theno) is that Pompey played as if they were the away team and set out to stop Rovers playing. This they did very successfully, and then they hit us on the break and eventually completely demoralised us. From there on it was easy. This would never have happened last season! After West Ham away that is!

Edited by Fife Rover

From what I saw of watching the 90 minutes "live" on TV "disinterest" isn't really the right word.

"Reckless abandon" would be more appropriate. He got skinned for the first goal, got booked out of clear frustration 60 seconds later and then carried on lunging into tackles with no regard whatsoever for his status of being on a yellow.

Thats how Lucas has played his whole Rovers career!! He hasnt got the discipline nor concentration to be a centrehalf. Ive now seen him play Man City were he got away with 2 stonewall penalty claims & Portsmouth were he was bloody awful. When he plays for Australia its part of a back 5 were there's always someone to cover for him when his head goes & he does a reckless challenge 45 yards from his own goal. I think he has got caught up in his own hype, Barcelona " My Arse!"

Stop shouting.

The fans that saw the match were concerned over the attitude and application of the team as a whole, quite rightly so.

It's not the fact we lost, but the manner of the loss.

i agree with neekoy. manner of the loss or not, it is one game.

talk of a crisis after the 1st game is ludacris.

everyone that is panicking should calm down, stop their internal dialogue, wait to see how rovers perform in the upcoming games and who we bring in before the end of the window.

Rovers just din't seem to be bothered at all...........

I bothered to go and support my team .........

I bothered to fork out for a hotel/travel/ticket etc............

I bothered to drink copious amount of alcohol (medicinal of course)....

Why could'nt they?

Pass the rope please. I know how this messageboard can overreact so I'm not surprised by some of the comments posted. The ever predictable cries of "Useless", "Championship here we come", and "Overpaid primadonnas" only seem to materialise after a defeat. It was the first game of the season, we were not at the races. There will be other games this season when this will happen, will we get the same prophecies then too? We are one game in to a 38 game season. We ahve plenty of time to put it right, Wednesday will be a different tale. Calm down.

How did that happen Capt? you certainly look like you have a good covering of blond thatch in your photo :lol:

Quality FR - That was in my younger days :lol:

As for those dismissers - alot of what is being said is not an over reaction - it is very worried observations (with good reason) of how we can appear to be such a different team in so many ways. It would have been interesting to see what the reaction would have been if we had been at home and the same had happened.

Luckily we do have Wednesday to start again, and it will be interesting as we won't need much to improve on the diabolical performance at Fratton Park.

Rovers just din't seem to be bothered at all...........

I bothered to go and support my team .........

I bothered to fork out for a hotel/travel/ticket etc............

I bothered to drink copious amount of alcohol (medicinal of course)....

Why could'nt they?

A number of them played like they had! :ph34r:

Last season we lost our 1st game to a team of newcomers 3-1.

This year we lost to an established premier league side who are now rich 3-0.

Don’t worry – it’s the 1st game of the season.

Last season we only won 1 of the first 6 games. Im sure we will beat that this season. Once our team gets over a few little injuries then we will be back to top form.

What's the difference between the Referee reviewing and Rovers having to appeal?

A referee can rescind the red card if he admits to being wrong. An appeal bypasses that and asks the FA to consider whether it was right or wrong. I wonder when it will be heard? Must be tomorrow?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.