BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton Blow For Rovers

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the fact that we'll be signing him up for an additional 2/3 years mean that we'll be able to sell him for even more in the next transfer window than the one million or so we were looking at with his current contract?

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE MR HUGHES PEOPLE!!! If it's good for him then it's good for me, no matter what my opinions are of Burt.

Excellent news - Emerton knows he will have to perform to get in the team after being dropped for a while last season. He is a useful player to have as we are going to be playing a lot of games over the season.

Other side of it is that there will always be clubs interested in buying Emerton so it is a win-win situation for us!

He's versatile guys-that's what we'll need with all the matches we should have this season. What will annoy me is if he continues to play right wing and continues to do a poor job...as Ive said earlier I just hope Hughsey is still after a right midfielder and that Emertons stay wont disrupt that.

The only way Emerton is versatile is in the sense that he's been equally bad in every position he's found himself in.

:lol:

Well done Brownie, rather than debate on a rational level your point is much better made by patronising in an attempt to appear more "educated".

I take it back, Emerton is fantastic.

Have to agree with Modi. Completely apathetic over this one.

He is a distinctly average player, at best, in this league, but we don't have another right midfielder. If 'Boro had have offered the 2 million speculated, then I'd have snapped their hand off, but for the bid reported, I'd rather we keep him.

Him signing on, however, does not mean we don't badly need another right midfielder.

I thought he had a good world cup and was one of the best players on the park against Brazil in Munich. I was there, and maybe the TV showed a different picture, or maybe its because the guy can do no right in your eyes?

His great performance did come after a terrible first game against Japan. I was actually talking to a bloke in a bar in Kaiserslautern after the game, slagging Emo's performance, despite the fact that we'd just beaten Japan 3-1. I was saying to this bloke that the only blight on the game was Emo. It turned out the bloke I was talking to was his cousin!!!

He said to me that Emo would come good, and he was right because he did against Brazil.

I know, I know, we've been waiting for this at Rovers since the day he came, but maybe he's turned the corner????

I'd rather have him on a new contract than out of the door for free in 8 months!

If you had asked my opinion on this in May I would have been the first to say get rid of him, but after his performance at the world cup I can see his value. He was versatile, played wherever he was asked, got the job done effectively, and often covered large parts of the field when Guus switched to a back 2 of Neill and Emerton.

The question is whether we can elicit the same performances from him. In many ways Emerton is the Aussie version of Kevin Kilbane (great pace can't cross for sh*t) but he could provide useful cover for the backline, wouldn't mind seeing him being given a go at right or left back...

Simple economics lads.

Boro bid £3m, bye bye Bert

Boro bid £800K, bye bye Boro

Re-signing Enerton at least will keep the boo boys on their usual target and off MGP, Bentley, Kuqi, Jeffers or whoever else they need to find to deprecate.

Hughes is right- give the ball to Emo and he and the ball usually end up deep in the opposition half. He didn't say anything about great distribution, dangerous crosses, heading ability, eye for goal, tackling, football brain...

Rather suggests that Sparky is going to do his utmost to turn Emo's natural athleticism into a footballer but he's not sticking his neck out on this one just as he won't have guarranteed first team starts although with the current injury list, Bert will be playing centre back alongside Neill on Saturday.

Excellent news - Emerton knows he will have to perform to get in the team after being dropped for a while last season. He is a useful player to have as we are going to be playing a lot of games over the season.

Other side of it is that there will always be clubs interested in buying Emerton so it is a win-win situation for us!

Have to agree with Modi. Completely apathetic over this one.

He is a distinctly average player, at best, in this league, but we don't have another right midfielder. If 'Boro had have offered the 2 million speculated, then I'd have snapped their hand off, but for the bid reported, I'd rather we keep him.

Him signing on, however, does not mean we don't badly need another right midfielder.

i agree with these posts.

selling emerton for 800k would of been bad business, a min of 2million and i think a deal would of been on the cards.

the guy may not be the best player in the world, but i trust hughes and he must see something in him.

he is versitile, though where ever he has been playing, his performances sometimes or most of the time have been dire for us.

hughes dropped him from the 16 a few times last season, so brett knows he has to work hard and battle not just for a starting 11 place, but a place in the first 16.

fairplay to emerton though, he could have walked and easily got in a first 11 somewhere else but he has decided to stay and take the challenge and fight for a place. maybe there will be a new improved emerton this season, the guy has guts staying when the boo boys are after him etc, rather than taking the easy option and abandoning ship.

it's a new season, so i wait and see. i think almost everybody gave him stick last season but i for one will see what the new season brings. hopefully a well good start against pompey will be the beginning of a new era in emertons career. :rover:

Emerton is, as an attacking right side midfielder, rubbish.

Why? His crossing aint great, he doesnt take on his man, he's obvioulsy deeply scared of the touchline because he wont go anywhere near it, he always comes inside from the wing never outside, he does crap backheels and generally is uninspiring.

Which is a shame because he has the tallent but never uses it.

Still what Brownie says must go because we couldnt possibly have seen him play and wondered why he was so ineffective.

Simple economics lads.

Boro bid £3m, bye bye Bert

Boro bid £800K, bye bye Boro

Hughes is right- give the ball to Emo and he and the ball usually end up deep in the opposition half. He didn't say anything about great distribution, dangerous crosses, heading ability, eye for goal, tackling, football brain...

Gunner Graham's certainly right about the money. Watching Reid against NZ I would suggest that Emerton is not our worst crosser of a ball. Maybe Sparky has seen a stronger case for keeping Emo given the change in emphasis of supply that our 3 new strikers might require or prefer.

I thought he had a good world cup and was one of the best players on the park against Brazil in Munich. I was there, and maybe the TV showed a different picture, or maybe its because the guy can do no right in your eyes?

Well, as long as I've watched rovers, the fans have always had their knives into one player from every team. I bet we can all think of dozens.

As for Bert, you're right to a point. In many fans eyes the guy can do no right. All I would say is that he's not as bad as some make out. He does have some qualities. He certainly gives the tired legs a rest when he comes on as a sub. Remember, Kuqi is reveered for his performances as a sub. It doesn't get mentioned when Bert does the same.

I agree Den-most of his best performances last year seemed to be when he came on as substitute.

The boy has talent, many observers have seen it in him, Hughes will know what his limitations are are it's up to him and his staff to get the talent out of him and performing at his best every week.

The question has to be - what have we done with his contract?

If he has had an increase in wages its a disgrace - at the end of the day its him who was stalling, so whats making him change his mind - if he wanted to stay he would have signed (same with Neill btw)

Only hope I have is he still hasn't actually signed - just hope Boro wake up and offer something stupid for him... PLEASE)

3 YEARS we have seen that he is rubbish - and still people are numbed into thinking he is any good because he kicked the ball forwards in the World Cup.

What is it that you like about him so much, Brownie?

The dead-eye 100% accuracy when shooting on goal? The touchline-hugging marauding runs? The dribbling skills which leave opposition defenders chasing shadows?

He is the poor man's Stuart Ripley.

I'm not particularly an Emerton fan, bryan. he's lost his way career-wise.

My point is simply, how can Emerton signing be bad news ? Why get on his back ?

He's a player of reasonable ability, and the best crosser of the ball from the right side we have.

He's a very useful player to throw on in the last 20 when we're chasing a game.

He also provides valuable cover at right back which we blatantly need given we only have Neill who is really accustomed to playing there, and he is unsettled and will probably be needed at centre half anyway.

I'd have thought with a squad that is showing to be too small even for our first game of the season, anyone with any sense would welcome Emerton signing as good news.

The question has to be - what have we done with his contract?

If he has had an increase in wages its a disgrace - at the end of the day its him who was stalling, so whats making him change his mind - if he wanted to stay he would have signed (same with Neill btw)

Only hope I have is he still hasn't actually signed - just hope Boro wake up and offer something stupid for him... PLEASE)

3 YEARS we have seen that he is rubbish - and still people are numbed into thinking he is any good because he kicked the ball forwards in the World Cup.

he is signing today apparently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.