BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton Blow For Rovers

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many of you have managed to be picked up by premiership clubs considering your knowledge of players and modern day tactics.

Get real laddos, you're fans, you have your favourites, you have those that you can't stand, you aren't going to change your opinion no matter how well someone plays.

Put it simply, if you were any good at picking players, you'd be "in" the game, not someone watching.

Mark Hughes, on the other hand, "is" in the game, and is playing it his way. He lives and dies by his selections. How many of you would go to him and say, "you've done it wrong."? Hughes has a reason for doing what he's done, and, todate, has been proven right and astute in his dealings, and his team management.

Yet the slagging of players goes on and on and on and on..................... it's a team game guys, a teamgame.

yeah, and hopefully cheryl tweedy will realise she's been in denial, divorce ashley and declare her love for me, and we live happily ever after! :D

Sorry to disappoint - but Cheryl is promised to me :P

I still hope that MH can turn Emerton's career around. Look at MGP and Reid - who would have thought either player would be integral to the team when MH first took over ?

Also, as many people keep pointing out, we do need additional numbers for the (hopeful) UEFA Cup campaign

I wonder how many of you have managed to be picked up by premiership clubs considering your knowledge of players and modern day tactics.

Get real laddos, you're fans, you have your favourites, you have those that you can't stand, you aren't going to change your opinion no matter how well someone plays.

Put it simply, if you were any good at picking players, you'd be "in" the game, not someone watching.

Mark Hughes, on the other hand, "is" in the game, and is playing it his way. He lives and dies by his selections. How many of you would go to him and say, "you've done it wrong."? Hughes has a reason for doing what he's done, and, todate, has been proven right and astute in his dealings, and his team management.

Yet the slagging of players goes on and on and on and on..................... it's a team game guys, a teamgame.

I am not saying that any of us are managers but can YOU list any of Berts good points Mr Birch?

I agree with Den and Dave. Fans' always have a pantomime villain. We've had a few in past seasons now only Emerton fits the bill. Wilcox used to get slated for the exact same things I'm reading about Emerton; now he's a hero. Dave's right about the fans; we have no idea what goes on. I'll wager that it is far easier for Hughes to keep Emerton who knows the training, knows the system and knows the players, making it easy for the manager to stick with him rather than getting a new player in who is supposed to be better but has no idea of how Rovers are. Familiarity really helps football teams, managers would rather keep their players for as long as they can as it makes preparation much easier.

I think the topic headline is absurd. How can a current player signing a new deal hurt our team? Myopic and stupid are words I would use.

No good asking me, ask Mark Hughes, or John Williams.

They are, of course the people that extended Bert's contract. I've never presumed to be knowledgeable in football dealings. If I was, i wouldn't be at this end of a computer typing an answer to you.

Whether I think Bert has good football skills, then yes, I think he has. Whether they are effective in the premiership, I've got my doubts. It's like horses for courses.

Is that much of an answer, cocker?

I agree with Den and Dave. Fans' always have a pantomime villain. We've had a few in past seasons now only Emerton fits the bill. Wilcox used to get slated for the exact same things I'm reading about Emerton; now he's a hero. Dave's right about the fans; we have no idea what goes on. I'll wager that it is far easier for Hughes to keep Emerton who knows the training, knows the system and knows the players, making it easy for the manager to stick with him rather than getting a new player in who is supposed to be better but has no idea of how Rovers are. Familiarity really helps football teams, managers would rather keep their players for as long as they can as it makes preparation much easier.

I think the topic headline is absurd. How can a current player signing a new deal hurt our team? Myopic and stupid are words I would use.

Speedie, If Hughes knew he could get a better replacement for Bert, he'd get him today. End of story.

It doesn't follow that people who are good at picking players would be working in football. The only way to get into the industry is to be a half-decent player. Anyone who's in the industry but who isn't playing (agents, physios etc excluded) is a former player.

I don't know maybe all us Emerton-haters have it completely wrong, and scuttling diagonally up the pitch and then turning round and passing it backwards or conceding possession is all part of some tactical masterplan, and repesents the height of football skill.

If so, as someone not in teh game, it goes right over my head, I'm sorry to say.

No good asking me, ask Mark Hughes, or John Williams.

They are, of course the people that extended Bert's contract. I've never presumed to be knowledgeable in football dealings. If I was, i wouldn't be at this end of a computer typing an answer to you.

Whether I think Bert has good football skills, then yes, I think he has. Whether they are effective in the premiership, I've got my doubts. It's like horses for courses.

Is that much of an answer, cocker?

Just wanted to know what you thoughts on Bert really so I will take it

Cheers :P

Cocker, an explanation as to my previous post.

When Bert was playing in Holland (these are my thoughts on how the game was played there) the teams allowed the opposition more room. So when bringing the ball out of your own area, you looked good, going forward, making yards, getting into the opposition half.

In England, you're closed down much sooner, you don't get the chance to run into the opposing half, you've got to get rid, and pass more.

Watching Bert at international level, is like watching non English teams play (I know it sounds daft, but can't explain it better at the mo), more room etc.

Simply, at the Rovers, he doesn't have the same opportunities as he does at an international level because of the way the opposition play against you...... Does that make sense.

Hughes must have been playing football manager wayyy to much! That said, a couple of seasons ago he almost led the league in assists and he had a blinding debut against Wolves. His also scored a few good goals. When his on form he is an awesome player and i'm actually glad his staying. Still, I wouldn't mind having Petrov but thats a pipe dream now!

My bet is that Hughes brought in Agathe on trial with a view to replacing Bert. He got a chance to assess him over 2/3 weeks and has decided that Emerton is the better of the 2 players - hence him stepping up contract negotiations once Agathe had left.

My bet is that Hughes brought in Agathe on trial with a view to replacing Bert. He got a chance to assess him over 2/3 weeks and has decided that Emerton is the better of the 2 players - hence him stepping up contract negotiations once Agathe had left.

to be fair that makes alot of sense, if it is true or not is anyone's guess.

I can't see how we were not looking to sell him. Clearly he was third choice on the right last season after Bentley and Ried and was never trusted at right back. Axe and Reid have got the nod infront of him there.

Likes others have said the reason for the contract must be that bids that came in were just not deemed sufficiently high. Ho hum, I guess this precludes ussigning a right winger. I would have loved to see someone like Gera come in.

All that said it looks like Emerton will start on Saturday as both Tugay and Reid are out, and Gallagher is probably too lightweight to play wide with Bentley in the middle. Prove us all wrong Bert, please!

edit- apparently he is probably injured for this weekend so Gally might get a chance.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Emerton who knows the training, knows the system and knows the players, making it easy for the manager to stick with him rather than getting a new player in who is supposed to be better but has no idea of how Rovers are.

God this made me laugh..................... he's been here nearly 3 years and he looks like he still doesn't have any idea of how Rovers are - never mind a new player.

Its a BLACK BLACK day

Just reading a report :-

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...37-2722,00.html

Hughes is lining up Emerton as a right-back <_<

Some of the earlier comments on here about his game being more suited to european type football do make some sense. Maybe we will see the best of him during our UEFA Cup campaign ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.