BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame the police hasn’t released a number for this to be able to telephone in and let them aware of which pubs this is taking place in.

I suspect that if all pubs in the area lost the channel or were forced not to be able to use it then we would find an extra few thousand in ewood for games.

You're dreaming . Grassing up pub landlords who are trying to make a bit of money in hard times will do nothing to enhance the Rovers' reputation . And the way technology is moving this subject will be irrelevant in a couple of years - we'll all be able to access any game over the net or through TV at home . The answer is for Williams and co to try and encourage people through the gates . Not an easy task ....but threatening the big stick isn't going to work .

As for the police - well they've surely got better things to do with their time .

I'll be watching the game in a pub tomorrow - and won't be happy if I see some snitch edging toward the phone :angry:

Not seen the Telegraph but is any distinction made between home and away games? I can't even make the pub tomorrow let alone Fratton Park but think that it is the screening of matches at Ewood that is really the issue

Instead of grassing and the big stick, anyone thought that reasoning with the landlords might help? That said, if they're not Rovers fans themselves, what do they care if BRFC suffer financially with potential ticket-buying supporters watching for free in their pub.

Being a Riversider until recently, I've always been amazed at the numbers watching live games in the concourses...how many will still do that when they can watch in the same way in a pub?

Have Rovers not considered that perhaps some people might like to stand and drink readily alongside their mates while watching football? Perhaps the pub is a better matchday experience for some...one of my favourite Saturday afternoons following the Rovers was one of the Middlesboro postponed home games (weather related) from the eighties in the Bulls Head at Redlam!

You're dreaming . Grassing up pub landlords who are trying to make a bit of money in hard times will do nothing to enhance the Rovers' reputation . And the way technology is moving this subject will be irrelevant in a couple of years - we'll all be able to access any game over the net or through TV at home . The answer is for Williams and co to try and encourage people through the gates . Not an easy task ....but threatening the big stick isn't going to work .

As for the police - well they've surely got better things to do with their time .

I'll be watching the game in a pub tomorrow - and won't be happy if I see some snitch edging toward the phone :angry:

Couldn't agree more. Since the clubs have been enthusiastic participants in training supporters to enjoy watching football on telly via the last 15 yeras or so of Sky deals, they should not be surprised that enterprising landlords want to access that market by testing the limits of the spurious regional copyrights.

It being OK to watch a Rovers home game in the pub if it's screened by Sky, but not if it's beamed over by Al Jazeera does not support Mr William's complaint, which I find hypocritical in the extreme.

It being OK to watch a Rovers home game in the pub if it's screened by Sky, but not if it's beamed over by Al Jazeera does not support Mr William's complaint, which I find hypocritical in the extreme.

Rovers don't have a choice with sky. They DO have a choice with illegal TV broadcasts though. Simply because they are illegal.

Not a surprising reaction from some on here. Personally, I prefer watching Rovers live and in the flesh, but that's just me.

Nobody has to make the sacrifices clearly necessary to regularly follow Rovers, but it shouldn't just be "bloody Rovers" who are stopping them from watching.

The question was mearly streaming. It didn't specify audio or video!

Sorry but I don't understand that term "Streaming" I thought it meant relaying or broadcasting a TV program.

Now I am confused. :huh:

Edited by Fife Rover

Sorry but I don't understand that term "Streaming" I thought it meant relaying or broadcasting a TV program.

Now I am confused. :huh:

Streaming can also mean for audio, such as Internet radio stations (like Radio Rovers). It isn't specific to either TV or audio/radio.

Conversation in the pub tonight was more along the lines of that they wouldnt turn up for a home game even if it wasnt on tv because 1) its too expensive, 2) Would rather sit in pub all aft as cannot be arsed.

B)-->

QUOTE(ste b @ Aug 18 2006, 15:00 ) 436342[/snapback]

AFAIK

The only law on this is that live football cannot be shown between 1430 and 1715 on saturdays with a full match programme. Hence why SKY dont show anything.

The copyright issues of beaming back live football from Europe into the UK appear to be a civil matter.

That isn't a law surely but some form of FA/Premiership regulation.

I was speaking to a very respectable gent several weeks ago who was a Rovers season ticket holder, (as were the rest of the family) but he also subscribed to an Arabic service advertised on the internet by a firm purportedly based in Eire.

He was delighted with it, said if he wanted he could get every game going, and said it cost 125 quid for the year. He was firmly of the view that if he wanted to legitimately subscribe to a foreign service then that was entirely up to him and I tend to agree.

The Premier League (and indirectly the Clubs) presumably made a mint by selling the rights to the foreign channels originally on the condition that they only transmit or sell packages within certain geographical boundaries. If they're not doing this then it's a contractual matter between the Premier League and the broadcaster concerned.

Breach of copyright is a civil matter and really the Police shouldn't be getting involved except to the extent that if a Licensee is found showing the "illegal" broadcasts it might affect the terms or future granting of his or her licence.

As for me, I know it's a problem for home games, but sorry, I'll be hoping to find an establishment that hasn't been scared off by the headlines for today's fixture. :ph34r:

I was speaking to a very respectable gent several weeks ago who was a Rovers season ticket holder, (as were the rest of the family) but he also subscribed to an Arabic service advertised on the internet by a firm purportedly based in Eire.

He was delighted with it, said if he wanted he could get every game going, and said it cost 125 quid for the year. He was firmly of the view that if he wanted to legitimately subscribe to a foreign service then that was entirely up to him and I tend to agree.

I am likely to be investing in said service sooner rather than later, given certain circumstances.

But the services are a domestic service, in the same way that a standard domestic service couldnt be used in a pub. The matter is a civil one, and MPS usually bring the copyright claims against landlords, and usually win (apart from in Blackburn and Bolton)

The only time I' ve watched a Rovers game on foreign telly was in The Horden Rake last season for the away game at Birmingham. I couldn't go due to work but would have done otherwise as I really wanted to see it.

On entering the pub, I suddenly realised why Hordens do it-it was packed out, and this is a decent sized pub too. I would guess on a wet wednesday evening , without the Rovers on telly it would have been empty.

Shame the police hasn’t released a number for this to be able to telephone in and let them aware of which pubs this is taking place in.

If the club doesn't know which pubs are showing the games then they must be blind seeing as a number of the pubs actually advertise the games outside for all to see!

It's all irrelevant however unless the club takes it further as just a letter by itself is unlikely to work. Besides, which landlord is going to turn custom away when the pub down the road is full up because the landlord there shows the games and isn't scared off by a meaningless piece of paper?

Something more needs to be done as expecting landlords to stop filling up their pub (as Ozzie Jones indicates about the Horden as an example) to stop showing the games is a bit like expecting turkeys to vote for christmas.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

If Rovers do nothing about this after suggesting it is 'killing' their attendances then whose fault will it be den?

Sorry FLB, I was being sarcastic.

The guys who watch regularly in the pubs, will simply blame the club for relegation. It will be nothing to do with the falling gates and lack of supporters money - in their view. Nothing anyone else says will cahnge that.

Never mind. Perhaps everyone will be happy when Rovers eventually get relegated to the Championship and it won't be on in the pubs then. <_<:angry:

Our last season in the old div 1 (00/01) was actually the season I got to watch most live Rovers games at pubs here in Norway. Think it was way over 20 matches being shown that year.

That's never happened when we've been playing in the PL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.