BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

thing is, living in blackburn, i have noticed that you get more people going and watching it int pub than actually at ewood. that is bad. they must spend as much in the pub as they would at the game, yet they dont get the atmosphere :P

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thing is, living in blackburn, i have noticed that you get more people going and watching it int pub than actually at ewood. that is bad. they must spend as much in the pub as they would at the game, yet they dont get the atmosphere :P

why are burnley's crowds so poor. your games arent shown live on arabic tv. :huh::P

because we are Sh1t :o

Are you sure you're a Burnley fan? You aren't rising to the bait, being generally horrid or ripping the p*** out of us. Must have been mellowed by your time in Blackburn!

And you've been here for 2 days and haven't said or done anything that would even lead to a THREAT of a ban. Is this a record? (And you've had provocation from some of our less........... civilised.......... members)

im used to all the banter to be honest. dont rise to it anymore. went to college in blackburn, work and live in blackburn now so you get used to all the comments.

i could start mouthing off, but it would make me look like an idiot because we all know that i wont win :unsure:

Are you sure you're a Burnley fan? You aren't rising to the bait, being generally horrid or ripping the p*** out of us. Must have been mellowed by your time in Blackburn!

And you've been here for 2 days and haven't said or done anything that would even lead to a THREAT of a ban. Is this a record? (And you've had provocation from some of our less........... civilised.......... members)

Jan, believe it or not not all Burnley fans are obsessed with us, and vice versa

because we are Sh1t :o

NEVER a TRUER word spoken and something that will NOT cause uproar or consternation amongst our many members :)

WE ALL AGREE in the entirity of that one single statement being eternally TRUE

That statement can NEVER be disputed by ANYONE outside the claret and blue zoo

For once we have a sensible comment from dinglenad and I think that Marv should be given the FREEDOM of Blackburn for saying it how he sees it ;)

in many countries in the world, people are shouting ''REVOLUTION, REVOLUTION.'' in burnley they shout "EVOLUTION, EVOLUTION. WE WANT OUR THUMBS!''

living in blackburn must have speeded up marvs, evolution. the next step is to replace his 'yorkshire' accent with 'lancashire.' ;)

I don`t agree. I spent a tenner in the pub last night & watched the SKY highlights of the game (albeit after the game had finished) That saved me £26. I shall do the same on Sunday, which will put me approximately £52 up......& i shall continue to do the same because i feel watching 'live' football isn`t value for money.

Iv just got 1 thing to say to the people who would rather watch it in a pub!

Roverites Are Born, Not Manufactured,

We Do Not Choose, We Are Chosen.

Those Who Understand Need No Explanation,

Those Who Don’t, Needn’t Matter

:P :ph34r:

Iv just got 1 thing to say to the people who would rather watch it in a pub!

Roverites Are Born, Not Manufactured,

We Do Not Choose, We Are Chosen.

Those Who Understand Need No Explanation,

Those Who Don’t, Needn’t Matter

:P :ph34r:

It's not necessarily the case that they would RATHER watch it in the pub...just that a £27 (at a minimum) outlay for the least desirable seats to watch ninety minutes of football is a lot to pay for many in Blackburn. Or anywhere for that matter for those who have families or better things to spend it on. :huh:

The cost isn't always just an excuse not to go, often it is the very reason. :o

Having what seems to be every game on live in the pub in the Blackburn area is ludicrous when other authorities are stamping down. Not so long in the future all games will be on TV but Rovers will expect their cut, until that happens...

Again I'll say that either Rovers go the whole hog by prosecuting landlords (not good PR...many landlords are struggling for customers in Blackburn just as much as Rovers) or try to see if the landlords will at least not show the home games. Den mentioned before that it would mean Rovers lose credibility on this issue by pursuing this line...while I agree it isn't ideal it is better than either doing nothing, which they are currently doing as the letters don't seem to have worked, or doing too much, which would be to prosecute all the landlords. The last course would not lead to guaranteed victory, this is still a grey area whatever may have been decided in other cases. :(

The following piece is from today's Citizen (online)...

Priced out of Ewood claim TV pub fans

By David Bartlett

"THIRTY SIX quid to watch Rovers? Last season I only paid £32 to watch them against Arsenal in London."

The price of a ticket persuaded Matt Briscoe, 25, of Ewood, to enjoy a pint and watch the 1-1 draw with Everton in the Ewood Arms, Bolton Road, about 300 yards from Ewood Park.

Harry Shorrock, 37, of Albion Street, agreed: "Rovers is definitely too expensive. If they cut prices a lot more people would go."

continued...

Ewood Arms landlord Tony Walker, said he was doing nothing wrong screening the match, broadcast by an Arab television station.

On Saturdays, Sky TV and the Premier League try to enforce a ban on foreign channels showing live matches in this country but some landlords have successfully fought the ban in court on a technicality.

Mr Walker said: "The general consensus is fans would rather have a couple of pints than pay extortionate prices on Ewood Park."

The cheapest available ticket yesterday was £27.

He said the pub paid for commercial Sky to show matches that were screened by the British broadcaster. But he said rules regarding the screening of matches were a grey area and that clarification was needed.

Rovers chairman John Williams has contacted the town's MP Jack Straw to express concern that the practice may be affecting attendances at Ewood Park, which have fallen by an average of almost 5,000 over the past four seasons. And Mr Straw has written to Alastair Darling, Secretary of State for Trade and Industry, calling for action.

John Derby, 42, travelled from Bury to take sons Adam, 10, and Nathaniel, 12, who plays for Rovers Academy, to the game. "I can understand it to a certain extent, but they should come down and support the team."

He said the lack of fans was sometimes noticeable in the atmosphere at the ground, where last night's game attracted only 22,015 fans.

Sgt Rachel Baines said: "We are aware that certain licensed premises within the Blackburn are in breach of this legislation and will be working with Trading Standards and Media Protection Services to help eliminate this problem."

7:00pm today -------------------------------------

Another piece in the paper today included claims from a Rochdale solicitor that he had defended 14 landlords in Lanc's under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1998 - and won all 14 cases . Another 11 landlords have had their prosecutions dropped .....

I agree with those who feel the Rovers will only further alienate any potential fans by backing Sky so much . Much better to keep quiet and just let Sky go down this route alone if they must .

Edited by blue phil

The LET today says every pub in Blackburn is to receive a letter from Arab Radio and Television (AR TV) Network, one of the most popular providers of live football. Authorities believe the move will stop landlords from using a defence which has helped 14 out of 100 licensees prosecuted fight off legal action.

Prosecutions rely on proving the landlord acted dishonestly-but the 14 got off because they were found to be unaware the practrice was illegal.

Police say the letter would leave the landlord in no doubt it was illegal and therefore with " no excuse" for breaking the law.

Officers arenow planning a crackdown on the companies which are selling subscriptions and leading landlords to belive it is legal.

PC Andy Duxbury said, " The letter from AR TV clearly says they don't allow people to use the decoders in this country. So the landlords cannot say it is a grey area or that they did not know it was illegal any more. We will be monitring what happens in the town after this letter has gone out and seeing if any pibs are still showing games. We are also going to be targetting the suppliers of these cards. The AR TV card comes with warning saying it is illegal to be shown outside their country but we have heard of companies covering this up with a sticker which says "do not remove or your card will be voided"."

The LET today says every pub in Blackburn is to receive a letter from Arab Radio and Television (AR TV) Network, one of the most popular providers of live football. Authorities believe the move will stop landlords from using a defence which has helped 14 out of 100 licensees prosecuted fight off legal action.

Prosecutions rely on proving the landlord acted dishonestly-but the 14 got off because they were found to be unaware the practrice was illegal.

Police say the letter would leave the landlord in no doubt it was illegal and therefore with " no excuse" for breaking the law.

Officers arenow planning a crackdown on the companies which are selling subscriptions and leading landlords to belive it is legal.

PC Andy Duxbury said, " The letter from AR TV clearly says they don't allow people to use the decoders in this country. So the landlords cannot say it is a grey area or that they did not know it was illegal any more. We will be monitring what happens in the town after this letter has gone out and seeing if any pibs are still showing games. We are also going to be targetting the suppliers of these cards. The AR TV card comes with warning saying it is illegal to be shown outside their country but we have heard of companies covering this up with a sticker which says "do not remove or your card will be voided"."

GOOD!!!

GOOD!!!

And you think this will make a difference Jan.

IMO, unless its a meaningful game its very unlikely the very same people will go down to Ewood if the prices remain the same.

However... that is the million dollar question- if the pubs are prevented from showing the games ..will Rovers drop their prices? :huh:

And you think this will make a difference Jan.

IMO, unless its a meaningful game its very unlikely the very same people will go down to Ewood if the prices remain the same.

However... that is the million dollar question- if the pubs are prevented from showing the games ..will Rovers drop their prices? :huh:

For the few that actually ARE fans as opposed to the ones who say they're fans and never attend, I think the lack of access to the games will make a difference, and I don't think the club should drop prices. I think we're already very competitive. Arsenal have 5 Category A games where the cheapest ticket is £46(nearest neighbours plus Manure). We need to maximise revenue from our nearest neighbours too.

As for the numpty who said "it only cost me £32 to watch Arsenal away last season and this season Rovers are charging £36 to watch Everton" Can anyone spot the inconsistency????

As for the numpty who said "it only cost me £32 to watch Arsenal away last season and this season Rovers are charging £36 to watch Everton" Can anyone spot the inconsistency????

This is what I was trying to explain - most who go in the pub are not regulars - stopping the TV games will not if at all make much difference.

There is alot more to it than just the prices however, but it is this that people see first then start balancing it against other things ....

Let's just hope they have the brains to send the letters by recorded delivery and so can actually prove its receipt! ;)

"What letter??? I never received no letter your honour..."

For the few that actually ARE fans as opposed to the ones who say they're fans and never attend, I think the lack of access to the games will make a difference, and I don't think the club should drop prices. I think we're already very competitive. Arsenal have 5 Category A games where the cheapest ticket is £46(nearest neighbours plus Manure). We need to maximise revenue from our nearest neighbours too.

Except for the very few games when there is a large away support (generally, the North West clubs) we should be trying to maximise the numbers for the other games. Hopefully that will have a knock-on effect and get along more of them for the A+ games.

Back to the letter again...it won't have much clout unless it is actually followed up in some cases.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.