BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andre Ooijer Signs !

At 34 Ooijer isn't worth anything in terms of transfer fees, that wasn't the case at all with Neill, who deliberately let his contract run down so he could cash in on the extra money bosman players usually get. Ooijer is hardly doing it for the money, is he?

I suspect you knew the difference all along though.

What? That changes it then...

How DARE he cash in on his own abilities? What a rotter! :angry:

You do not hear about people in other walks of life working for the company that pays them the most now do you? :rolleyes:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to Ooijer who, like Neill, did very little wrong. Neither did I see ever not putting in their full effort to the club. Other than fulfilling their contracts by giving their all they owed nothing else to the club. It is the players that do not give their all when on the pitch for the club that are deserving of such disdain.

Even Bentley, for all his gobbing off in the media, deserves our respect as I did not see him shirking. In fact he was by far our best creative source last season.

Too many hypocrites on here. So what if players go to who pays them far better wages? I would too and fair play to them.

They are not here as fans but as employees. So do not expect to feel about the club in the same way as we do.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

What? That changes it then...

How DARE he cash in on his own abilities? What a rotter! :angry:

You do not hear about people in other walks of life working for the company that pays them the most now do you? :rolleyes:

The point is that Neill was quite happy to see us get nothing when he left so that he could line his own wallet. We were very fortunate that West Ham had that crazy January where they started paying obscene wages to average players.

The point is that Neill was quite happy to see us get nothing when he left so that he could line his own wallet. We were very fortunate that West Ham had that crazy January where they started paying obscene wages to average players.

Yes and many other players have done that before and since. It is not so much that I do not think it a selfish act as it is but just that I fail to understand the animosity many fans have towards him. It does exist...there is a lot of disgust towards him but it is not as if his actions were anything like as contemptible as those of Barry Ferguson. Nor did he really go on TV and just say he was off like Bentley did despite having years left on his contract. Even Santa Cruz tarting himself around for a year.

Yet I know fans who consider Neill to be in a different level of treachery than those. Just does not make sense to me.

Part of it must be personal. For some reason he really managed to get under the skin of some fans.

He made it clear that he wasn't going to sign a deal quite a long time before his contract was up, so we could have easily sold him at any point during that time.

Actually having thought about that...I do not think that was true. Did he actually turn any offers down? We failed to come to an agreement with Liverpool in the summer meaning that he went in the January transfer window meaning he chose West Ham over Liverpool. Which also means your second question does not make sense. Would Neill have turned down Liverpool if they had been the only option in January? Almost surely not.

This is all old hat. Ultimately Neill did nothing more than look after Number 1. Dont we all? Does not make him a saint but hardly makes him a piece of s either now does it?

He made it clear that he wasn't going to sign a deal quite a long time before his contract was up, so we could have easily sold him at any point during that time.

If I remember rightly Rovers offered him a contract before the world cup and said he would not sign until after. It was obvious he was putting himself in the shop window and wanted out.

The point is that Sparky was quite happy to see us get nothing when Lucas left so that he could line his own wallet. We were very fortunate that West Ham had that crazy January where they started paying obscene wages to average players.

Made a couple corrections to your post to make it more factual. He never turned down a move, because we never tried to sell him.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.