BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Decision Time

So what do I do now? I had been waiting for the PS3 for so long and now its announced that PES 6 will not be available on it, this is the only game i really play on the PS2, i'm not into the 'platform' games but will play other sports. But now i'm stuck, the price is not an issue but what do I do? the deal for PES and FIFA with microsoft is for a year right? so that means no game can be brought out until the end of that by that company?

So do i get the PS3 and hope they bring one out next year?

Is it likely a Pro Evo and/or FIFA game will be brought out before?

Or do I bite the bullet admit that XBOX has won and buy one?

Will the PS3 even be that much better?

Guest Kamy100

My advice (for what it is worth) would be to hang fire until Christmas. It is likely that the 360 price is going to be dropped, already the core pack is available for £199.99. Then buy a 360 and enjoy FIFA and PES6. Then this time next year when the PS3 will have a much better game catalouge and the inevitable hardware bugs have been iorned out pick up a PS3. If you are into cricket the next gen versions of Brian Lara and Cricket 2007 are also only coming out on the XBOX 360.

As for what is better that is very hard to answer. I think that with the PS3 you are future proof as it has a built in blue ray player so that gives game developers more disc space to work with whereas the 360 has stuck to conventional DVDs, even their HDDVD player due out at xmas will exclusively be for movies.

Of course you could always buy a PS3 whack it on Ebay and make enough profit to finance a PS3 and 360!!

My advice (for what it is worth) would be to hang fire until Christmas. It is likely that the 360 price is going to be dropped, already the core pack is available for £199.99. Then buy a 360 and enjoy FIFA and PES6. Then this time next year when the PS3 will have a much better game catalouge and the inevitable hardware bugs have been iorned out pick up a PS3. If you are into cricket the next gen versions of Brian Lara and Cricket 2007 are also only coming out on the XBOX 360.

As for what is better that is very hard to answer. I think that with the PS3 you are future proof as it has a built in blue ray player so that gives game developers more disc space to work with whereas the 360 has stuck to conventional DVDs, even their HDDVD player due out at xmas will exclusively be for movies.

Of course you could always buy a PS3 whack it on Ebay and make enough profit to finance a PS3 and 360!!

What he said :P

I'll prob stick with the PS2 until GTA4 comes out.

Will save me paying a fortune for something with little software catalogue just for the privelidge of owning one early.

Or.. i may buy a PS3 and do what I did with my XBox360, sell it on Ebay on release day for a large profit.

i sold my ps2 about 2 months to make way. at first i was dead set for a ps3. then lately a few of my mates have bought a 360 and said it was good. pro evo is set to be released for the 360 now so i turned. but now im wondering whether to just upgrade my pc with the £300?

the year thing is only for the next gen. pro evo for the ps3 will be released in the spring 2007.

For what it's worth, I got a 360 about two months ago and I've been enjoying the hell out of it so far. It's good fun dude.

And the next few months are going to be great for games. Some really interesting titles coming out, starting next week. Madden and TDU in the same week...my wallet will huuuurt.

Pro Evo on the 360 seems a bit rough -- like they knocked it out because there was no alternative platform for it. The only reason it's on 360 at all is because it's going to be ages before PS3 is a mass market machine. You can rest assured that the 'real' next gen Pro Evo will be the eventual PS3 version, since Konami is a Japanese firm and the market for 360 in Japan is non existant.

If you're that much of a Pro Evo fan, you 'll be slightly underwhelmed by the 360 version (not that I'll ever be rushing out to spend £400 on a console!)

Konami might be japanese but pro evo is produced for the non-japanese market, as opposed to winning 11 (or whatever it is called) which is produced for japan. I think that pro evo 6 will be a good game and will have the normal number of improvements as well as taking advantage of improved graphics capabilities. I don't understand why if they "knocked it out" that they won't be releasing a special game for the 360 until the end of October, unlike EA who came out with two football games almost as soon as the 360 came out.

I take Pro Evo and Winning Eleven to be the same game -- which they are. The only differences are some of the licensing and, obviously, the language. Anyway, I haven't seen it first hand, but when I spoke to somebody who did, 'knocked out' was the phrase he used.

The reason it's out so late on the 360 is because they did the previous one as a PS2 lead. They would have done this one as a PS3 lead, but since PS3 doesn't exist yet, they can't. It'll be on PS3 in Spring/Summer next year, apparently.

It'll be on PS3 in Spring/Summer next year, apparently.

How? Where is that coming from? If it does then it makes a mockery of Microsoft's 1 year exclusivity to PES. Unless Konami get around it by releasing it as Winning Eleven across the globe.

The reason it's out so late on the 360 is because they did the previous one as a PS2 lead. They would have done this one as a PS3 lead, but since PS3 doesn't exist yet, they can't.

PES 5 was released on all consoles at the same time so there was no "lead". Why would they have done this with the PS3? As you've said, it's not out but they do have development consoles and they could have released as a launch title in December. Instead they chose to sign an exclusivity deal with Microsoft.

I agree on the whole to the look of PES6. I said in another thread on here that I was more than underwhelmed by the video footage shown on the web. However, it still looks of the same essence as all the PES releases and I can't see it being any worse than the PS2 version.

Edited by Biddy

It appears that PES6 is only exclusive to the 360 this year (ie until 31st December 2006):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=145226

Read it again.

PES 6 is only a "next gen" exclusive for a year. It says, quite rightly, that Konami were putting the record straight as some websites were reporting that is was a 360 exclusive and not a "next gen" exclusive. Therefore they were stating that it is coming out on PC, PS2, PSP etc etc etc.

It goes on to state that development has started on the next version (aka PES 7) which will be Winning Eleven released in Japan spring / summer next year with a PES 7 release October next year. Thus 12 months next gen exclusive on next gen consoles.

PES 5 was released on all consoles at the same time so there was no "lead". Why would they have done this with the PS3? As you've said, it's not out but they do have development consoles and they could have released as a launch title in December. Instead they chose to sign an exclusivity deal with Microsoft.

By 'lead', I mean the platform the game is primarily intended for. There's usually one, even if it appears simultaneously on multiple platforms. With PES, it's clearly optimised for the Dual Shock controller layout, and wasn't quite so easy to play on Xbox.

To be honest, I doubt they did sign any kind of deal with MS. It just happens that they're going to be spending a lot longer on the PS3 version, for whatever reason, and if it's significantly different when it's released then I suppose we'll know where Konami's priorities lie.

By 'lead', I mean the platform the game is primarily intended for. There's usually one, even if it appears simultaneously on multiple platforms. With PES, it's clearly optimised for the Dual Shock controller layout, and wasn't quite so easy to play on Xbox.

To be honest, I doubt they did sign any kind of deal with MS. It just happens that they're going to be spending a lot longer on the PS3 version, for whatever reason, and if it's significantly different when it's released then I suppose we'll know where Konami's priorities lie.

Funnily enough the xbox version is very easy to play and strangely also has a dual shock type controller so no real difference there. I can see where you are coming from in the machine it was primarily developed for part though.

That is my biggest fear for the 360 version of PES 6, it will undoubtedly be developed for the PS2 and converted to the 360. I suppose we just have to wait and see what they churn out.

Again though for your comments on waiting to see what they do for the PS3, you'll be waiting until October next year unless you get a chipped or Japan imported console. Even then it will be a different version so I suppose we'll never know what they had in mind for PES6.

Edited by Biddy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.