BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Emerton At Rb

I'm glad that Emerton has been played well over the last two games. It would nice to see him playing well further up the pitch though. However, I still see Neill as our number 1 right back, but hopefully this will give him confidence and he'll be able to perform better when he plays on the right wing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets get something straight, we didnt sign the highly rated right winger from Feyenoord 3-4 years ago, we had signed one of Europes best right backs and now its finally showing in his performances.

He just isnt a right winger, but at right back, he is one hell of a player.

Brett certainly impressed me today as a full back (some his long passes were simply excellent), but we lose something in an attacking sense from Lucas Neill when he's playing on his weak side. Its a balancing act I suppose, both of them looked very steady today - its just a case of Sparky deciding whether losing something from Neill's game is justifed by the improvement in Emerton's.

I wonder what it says about the current state of Blackburn Rovers if Lucas Neil can go from looking like a world-class defender playing in back three for Australia against Japan, Croatia, Brazil and Italy*...

..to looking like a complete numpty against Portsmouth.

Bear in mind that for Australia his fellow defenders included Craig Moore, Tony Popovic, Scott Chipperfield and occasionally Brett Emerton.

Regarding good old Brett, interestingly, Guus has never played Emerton as a right-sided midfielder/winger. He has either played as a central midfielder, as a right-sided defender, or not at all.

*except for sitting on his arse in the 94th minute and allowing Matterazi to fall over him.

Surprised that nobody else has pointed out the two or three good runs up the right wing made by Bert today and the very good crosses he put into the box at the end of them. Also the fact that after cutting inside from the edge of their box he cracked a good rising shot in which just cleared the bar. Could have been a brill goal!

And the stupid woman insisted on calling Brett , Skippy the whole game! Is this a well known nickname for him or just something she has imaginativly?!?! come up with?

I've never heard him referred to as "Skippy". They probably came up with it. I'm not sure it's the most positive of nicknames either.

Regarding good old Brett, interestingly, Guus has never played Emerton as a right-sided midfielder/winger. He has either played as a central midfielder, as a right-sided defender, or not at all.

Funnily enough, pg, I wouldn't mind seeing Emerton and Reid swapping positions in the last 15 minutes of one or two matches. Good old Brett might just might turn out to be the creative spark we need to replace Reid's woeful peformances at the moment. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

And the stupid woman insisted on calling Brett , Skippy the whole game! Is this a well known nickname for him or just something she has imaginativly?!?! come up with?

'Skippy' was a 70's Australian TV program about a kangaroo.

That must be the link, it most certainly isn't because he skips passed defenders :lol:

Neill played really well against New Zealand, albeit against poor opposition.

No, his mistakes weren't taken advantage of by very poor attackers. I specifically remember the sick feeling as he passed the ball slowly backwards across the face of the goal goal to Mokoena (a la Darren Peacock)- a pass which was neatly intercepted by the New Zealand forward who, fortunately, was too useless to do anything more than force Brad to make a save.

Now I'm not saying he was anywhere near as bad as the Peacock, but there were similarities. (although Lucas is much prettier)

I remember Lucas playing a good run of games as a left back a couple of season ago and aquitting himself rather well. I can't remember for the life of me who was playing on the right at the time (certainly wasn't John Curtis).

Brett Emerton has convinced me 100% that he deserves to be right back.

He is good at going forward, he is good at defending and he is also not afraid to put his foot in. He also links up very well as a wing back with Bentley and they can be a very attacking ride sided combination. Also his distribution is good for a defender.

For me he deserves his chance and I would be quite happy for Lucas to sit on the bench once all our defence is fully fit.

I remember Lucas playing a good run of games as a left back a couple of season ago and aquitting himself rather well. I can't remember for the life of me who was playing on the right at the time (certainly wasn't John Curtis).

he has also played left back for australia on more then one occassion

brett's convidence is soaring. the reception he got when his name was read out will have boosted him further.

i used to think he was lazy, but looking at him now- seems like it was a confidence thing. the rb slot will remain his, while he's in this form.

keep it up, brett.

According to the BBC, Neil may well be in line for a move to Liverpool. From what I can see of the squad, that would probably make Brett or Zurab our main options at Right Back.

Brett certainly offers a lot going forward as a Right Back although I'm a little concerned about his defensive positional play. However, hopefully that will come quickly and sometimes attack is the best way of defence. I've never really been a big Neil fan, so this could be a good move all round for the club

We desperately need a Left Back though. I suppose we have done ever since Le Saux left though!

Brett certainly offers a lot going forward as a Right Back although I'm a little concerned about his defensive positional play. However, hopefully that will come quickly and sometimes attack is the best way of defence.

From the games i have seen, his defensive side of the game has been better then his attacking, as he is linking with bentley well but a few times they have both been a little to tricky for rach other and not realised what the pther was doing resulting in the ball going out. But that will come with more time.

Emo for RB! Lucas for LB!

Emo has been playing well, very impressive. Hope his good run of form at RB continues, especially as it looks like Neill will be off to Scousers. Incidently, was also impressed with Bentley in the Chelsea game. So looks like thats our right side sorted. Now to sort out the left.

If Ihad to vote for our player of the season right now, it'd definately be Brett Emerton.

What a player.

Forget Craig Bellamy for £3.75m, getting Brett to resign is easily Hughes' best piece of business.

Now for the hardest bit (Walkersteel) Blackburn End, fitting Brett Emerton into a really easy chant that sounds crap.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.