BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scrap Cat A & A+ Tickets

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if everybody did the same......What then?

According to IHD, it'd be a good thing, as all Rovers fans are still watching the team. Admittedly, only Mr Murdoch is actually benefitting financially, but heh-ho, that clearly doesn't matter!

Hold on a minute. We obviously have different opinions on what a supporter actually is here. OK, so I may not be giving massive financial support to Rovers, but by attending Sheffield Utd away I am offering my vocal support. I have never supported another club. It's like saying I supported Burnley just because I went to our game at the Turd in 2000. Don't talk wet. I went to that game because I, like many others, wanted to cheer my team onto victory in a game against our local rivals, not because I wanted to donate £20 to the BFC trust.

I will tell you Jan that I had reached my limit. Don't tell me that you have never bought something and then immediately had a feeling of regret? However, I had the opportunity to still see the match and save the money, and therefore be able to go and SUPPORT my team in another game. Everyone knows that if a game is on Sky, the attendance will be affected (unless the club is able to sell out regardless i.e. Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton etc). And why is this? It's because people just want to watch their team and if they can do so by watching it in the pub and saving themselves £40 in the process, then it's all good!

People with a bit of money to spend may not be able to see where I coming from, but I'm a young lad with a killer mortgage and saving up to start a family. I desperately want to go on EVERY game played by the Rovers, but sometimes there comes a point where you just have to say no. I had accepted the fact that I was going to have to part with my £37, but if someone then practically offers you a refund with the offer of watching on the telly, then that is just too good to turn down.

It's not laziness, it's not a lack of dedication, it's simply looking after myself before I go to a game that I can't really afford just in the name of 'loyalty'.

I can fully understand your position IHB, and admire your sensible and responsible approach to your finances.

In your position I would probably do exactly the same or even more likely would not have bought the ticket in the first place. It is very easy for all those with good careers and high incomes to criticise they have most likely never known what it is like to have to miss out on the leisure thing that matters most to them.

I do know as I have been in that position several times at different stages in my career. And in fact I am in a similar position right now and from which there is no hope of escape except by winning the lottery.

For me to come to Ewood to watch a Rovers match in person it has a premium of over £100 attached to every visit, and that is not including the match ticket and booking fee. Consequently the number of matches I get to at Ewood are decreasing rapidly each year as my income from pensions does not increase in line with inflation or anything like it. Nor does it allow me to cope with massive increases in household bills, fuel charges etc etc.

For me to find myself in this position would be heart breaking after over 60 years of living and breathing Rovers. Rovers, Rovers, if it were not for the saving grace of Sky Sports and a DVD recorder. These also are very hard to justify but my wife is a very understanding lady who knows just what Rovers mean to me and she is fully supportive of my "hobby" as I am with hers.

In the short-term, the club would have to adapt and come up with a more reasonable pricing policy.

In the long-term we probably have to accept that we do not have a sufficiently large fanbase to finance a Premiership team with a Premiership wage bill.

Thenodrog - I honestly believe that's the way it's going now. Obviously a lot of people can still afford the ludicrous prices that are being charged. If they want to pay that then fine - it's their choice. But with our club we have seen a dramatic fall in attendances and it makes no sense to me that our club is charging the same prices as the big boys, even though we don't play the same attacking football or even have the same fan-base to begin with!

I feel at Rovers we could really attract people towards supporting our club by offering cheaper tickets - cheaper than the rest of the Premiership. If you were a football fan in the Manchester/Lancashire area and (assuming no pre-meditated allegiances) you were looking for a football club to support, why would you choose Blackburn Rovers? We have to be able to offer something that the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Bolton, Burnley, Preston etc cannot - and for me a major selling point would be Premiership football at the lowest prices.

I am absolutely certain that if we offered tickets at £25 in all areas against Chelsea (not just restricted view tickets in the Riverside) then we could have bumped our gate by an extra 2000 at least. So we may have lost slightly in ticket sales, but when you add up all the sales generated through club merchandise sales on the day and catering sales on the day, my guess is that we wouldn't be far off. So we'd lose out slightly in short-term finances, but we'd gain in keeping existing fans/customers happy and go a long way in attracting new ones.

I don't know whether this would work in reality as it does in theory, but it would certainly make it refreshing to see the club actively seeking ways to lower ticket prices and look after the fans that it already has, instead of trying to make a quick dollar from visiting supporters of the larger away teams.

Jan (to IHB)..."I've said all along, if you don't want to go because you're too goddam lazy, FINE, but call a spade a spade and say it. "I'm not going because I really can't be bothered" The trouble is- you lot don't want to say that because prople would (quite rightly) have a go. So you whine about prices and minimum wage, and having very little to spend. However, as those of us who DO go always suspected, it has nothing at all to do with price."

I`ve said it before & i`ll keep saying it....the day anyone else starts paying my bills is the day they can start dictating how i spend my money.

In the long-term we probably have to accept that we do not have a sufficiently large fanbase to finance a Premiership team with a Premiership wage bill.

Or perhaps to realise the Premiership wage bill is simply too high and to reduce costs accordingly. The PL clubs all know their wage bills are too high, approximately 80% of Sky money goes to the players and before Chelsea came along where beginning to address the issue.

If clubs are concerned by falling attendances and want to reduce prices accordingly they will have to address their costs. The problem is players will go to the highest paying league, if the PL becomes unattractive to Sky through players leaving the income level will reduce etc.etc.

Tickets were on sale before the match, where's the problem?

If someone had gone down to the ground expecting to buy tickets at 4pm and been met with a closed ticket office they're more likely to shrug their shoulders and watch the game in the pub ....

(I'm reliably informed that the potential fans at the ticket office were Asian - they probably didn't even watch it in the pub - but you get my drift...)

Or perhaps to realise the Premiership wage bill is simply too high and to reduce costs accordingly. The PL clubs all know their wage bills are too high, approximately 80% of Sky money goes to the players and before Chelsea came along where beginning to address the issue.

If clubs are concerned by falling attendances and want to reduce prices accordingly they will have to address their costs. The problem is players will go to the highest paying league, if the PL becomes unattractive to Sky through players leaving the income level will reduce etc.etc.

Paul I think you are sort of half-right there. Surely even if the Premiership's quality was to be reduced overall, there would still be a similar demand for the games??? For example, the millions of Manchester United and Liverpool fans that couldn't attend every game, would still be willing to fork out for the games if they were on Sky?

I agree that costs need to be addressed though. At the end of the day, say there are 700 truly world class football players (I just picked a figure out of the air here), after the big foreign clubs had had their pick of the best, the players themselves would eventually find that if they wanted to play football on a weekly basis they would have to move to England albeit on less money. I suppose we'd end up with a situation much like there is in Germany - some quality players playing in big stadiums, but as soon as the rich foreign clubs come along the players have to make that choice (first team football vs. big pay packet).

I really do think though that if the clubs all get together, they will have enough power to simply say 'no' to the greedy players/agents. Without the football clubs the players will have no choice but to accept whatever is on the table.

But most businesses, other than retail, are closed on a Saturday afternoon - and I think you'll find most football ticket offices are if there is no game.

Other clubs can maybe afford that luxury ....and if we are in the business of selling tickets then the needs of the customer should always come first . Therefore the ticket office should always be open on a Saturday if we have a game on the Sunday . Why you are defending the club on this issue is beyond belief ...

But the tickets were available before the game! So they could be bought then! I was in a similar situation in that my eldest son was visiting and decided to come to the game on Saturday afternoon. So we bought his ticket before the game. Common sense I would have thought........... It's not as if tickets have only been on sale for a couple of days - and it's very rare these days that tickets are not available before games except Mancs and Pool.

I would rather have got a season ticket this year, however none of my friends are really interested in the rovers, and im not going to sit on my own every game. Chelseas game was a bank holiday, we already had plans before the season starte for this weekend, and Wednesdays game was too expansive for me to go to. Its a choice now of picking and choosing games, which ones you can afford to and which ones you cant. I would much rather watch and pay to see us play Chelsea than pay the same price to see us play Everton.

The problem isnt isolated tho, its happeening at grounds all over the country where fans are satying away. But what I find is the biggest problem John Williams insulting the fans saying pubs are the reasons fans stay away when if he looked closer to home he would see the issue is a lot bigger than that.

I'm sure, or at least I hope, that Rovers have a team working hard figuring out the price elasticity of demand for each game and ticket. If they have worked out that making the Chelsea game 27 pounds doesnt bring a significant enough change in the number that turn up to make up for the 9 pounds a ticket that they have lost by lowering the price then it isn't worth it. Hopefully they are doing a good job at figuring it out, based on the fact that our attendances don't really go up even for the very cheap games and even when we are in the top 6 pushing for the top 4 I would say that they have probably got it right.

I understand that £36 is a lot for 90 minutes (or £27 if you aren't picky) but I wish that I could attend a rovers game for as little as £36. Even if I go to the nearest away game to where I live it will cost me £21 in travel plus whatever the price of the ticket is (which at best will be about £25 pounds). Now I know that Rovers aren't as important an issue as they are for some of us on here and it isn't fair to judge other people when it comes to how they prioritise their finances, but it annoys me when people start to complain that the club is too expensive when it clearly isn't and when a lot of those who complain choose to waste their money elsewhere.

Make your mind up Eddie...£36 is either "a lot for 90 minutes" or people shouldn't "start to complain that the club is too expensive when it clearly isn't".

What annoys me are people who don't go criticising others who don't go solely because they live nearer. It's a joke...as for people who "choose to waste their money elsewhere"...what do you know about them? What gives you or others the right to judge? Shall we all judge each other? We're supposed to all support Rovers, that's all.

Sorry if it seems I'm having a go at you Eddie...I'm not, there are many complaining on here about others not going while excusing themselves.

Seems simple to me...If you don't go, don't blame others for not going. Stop trying to claim the moral high ground from your ivory tower, to mix cliches. We all make a decision whether to go or not...doesn't make anybody's decision not to go more noble than another.

What I am saying is that though £36 is a lot it is not that bad when compared to other clubs. I wasn't having a go at anyone or trying to take the moral high ground, in fact long distance supporters are usually the ones who get grief for not contributing enough to the club. I also said that it isn't fair to judge how people prioritise your money. If you are a Rovers supporter and choose to spend £20 in the pub watching the game instead of £20 at the game then I do think it is a waste. I'm not having a go at anyone though.

Make your bl00dy mind up Eddie!! :blink:

One thing i`ve never done on this (or any) messageboard, is tell people how to spend their money. I think it`s very ignorant of people to dictate to others, when you know nothing about their financial situations.

I have made my decision to vote with my feet public, because i feel my 'personal decision' has a lot to do with the thread topic. I can assure you Eddie, i have never wasted money........as i have very little to waste.

I didn't make a comment about you or anyone else specifically. I didn't tell anyone how to spend their money, as I said just now I even said that it isn't fair to judge how people prioritise their finances.

Maybe if you two had spent more time to actually read my post you wouldn't have wasted your time getting yourselves worked up.

Wait a minute! Do I detect a glimmer of logic? Don't stop there Bing, keep going with your train of thought. I think you are getting close to the reallity of our situation and the only long term solution. :tu:

The problem isnt isolated tho, its happeening at grounds all over the country where fans are satying away. But what I find is the biggest problem John Williams insulting the fans saying pubs are the reasons fans stay away when if he looked closer to home he would see the issue is a lot bigger than that.

I'd say the price factor is probably the main reason why people are choosing to sit in the pubs and watch the games. The issue is simple with me - if I can easily afford it and I can get to the game I will go. Many of the people who now sit in the pubs (even in the Ewood area) are only doing so because they can have a full days entertainment with their mates, watch the game, and get something to eat on the way home for the same price that they would pay for watching 90 minutes of a football match.

But like MrsJansen says, it's happening all over the country, and it's going to have to take a club like ours to put a stop to it. I'd say that if your paying anything over £30 for a football ticket (unless it's a particularly special fixture like a cup final/semi etc) then you are paying over the odds.

Wait a minute! Do I detect a glimmer of logic? Don't stop there Bing, keep going with your train of thought. I think you are getting close to the reallity of our situation and the only long term solution. :tu:

I know what your getting at there Thenodrog, and as much as we all hate to say it, Lancashire United will surely happen someday. That is of course, unless the club acts with their pricing policy before the fans act with their feet. Maybe it's too late???

I am absolutely certain that if we offered tickets at £25 in all areas against Chelsea (not just restricted view tickets in the Riverside) then we could have bumped our gate by an extra 2000 at least. So we may have lost slightly in ticket sales, but when you add up all the sales generated through club merchandise sales on the day and catering sales on the day, my guess is that we wouldn't be far off.

1. OK so following that line of thought how do we market the benefits of ST's next season? Don't forget that I watch EVERY game for £21 and imo that is well cheap.

2. Anyway is it you who has traded yesterdays game for a trip to Steel city? Is the Sheff Utd ticket free? By the time you have had a few scoops, a meal and got there it will need to be.

3. I think the club shop is franchised out so any proceeds from that will not come directly to the club.

Edited by thenodrog

1. OK so following that line of thought how do we market the benefits of ST's next season? Don't forget that I watch EVERY game for £21 and imo that is well cheap.

This is the same mistake that is made throughout this thread.

OK, £21 is cheap to you, it's fine by me as well but for many of our fans it's expensive.

There's too many people pass comments as though we all had the same disposable income.

Maybe if you two had spent more time to actually read my post you wouldn't have wasted your time getting yourselves worked up.

As I said in my post it wasn't meant to be a go at you specifically, sorry if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time ;)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

The problem (or a problem anyway) is that the season tickets are excellent value for money, certainly compared to the rest of the league...yet the club cannot decide when the games will be played.

Not only will there be many games moved for Sky or the Uefa Cup, there is another factor which is that there seems to be a lot more people working shifts these days. In particular, four days on/four days off. It certainly seems to be a lot more than before. A lot of people can't chop and change their worktimes anymore, especially not if Rovers games are at continually changing times.

I've no solution what can be done though :( , Rovers can't change when they play. They just suffer more than (it seems) the rest of the Prem.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Interesting to note that only 11 clubs out of the 92 have cheaper season tickets than we do.

8 of them are in League 2, with 3 in League 1.

Stu- wash your mouth out with soap!!! Don't you understand that praising the club for its ticketing policy is NOT allowed?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.