BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had to sign him today,I would probably say no but if we're back in Euope next year I would say yeas because of squad size and injury concerns.In addtion,he would have had a full year to settle in England and as we all know learning to play in the EPL is unlike anything most foreign footballers have experienced.He does have the ability to score goals (as well he has several breakways he should have put away) but the pace of pre injury doen not appear to have returned.I think an intangible that we can't measure behind our keyboards is what does he bring to the morlae of theteam,how well does he get along with the rest of the lads and what roel might he play in helping Samba settle as well?These are questions we can't answer so best to leave it with Sparky.He will make the right call for us.

I can't understand players coming on for the last 20 minutes or so like yesterday, yet not busting a gut for those 20 minutes. I would run and run till I was sick if I was playing for any club (barring the obvious ones) if I was being paid all that money. I know the lad scored but he was pretty lucky with it, and didn't do anything else.

Mind you McCarthy looks like he's got something on his mind recently.

With a certain risk of sounding like an idiot: Could it be that a professional footballer knows better how to use his legs, even when coming on as a sub, than to run mindlessly all over the pitch at all times? We're in some ways very privilegied to have had Shefki, Dickov and Bellamy as our main strike force last season, they always run and they'll always be a nuisance. However, running for lost causes isn't necessarily a good thing.. That's a general statement by the way, and I am fully aware that Derbyshire's enthusiasm is somewhat proof of the opposite. But I don't think we should blindfold ourselves on work ethic - there is actually a thing called clever movement and perhaps clever use of energy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shoppybrfc

What do people think to signing Nonda now?

Some interesting goal scoring statistics for Nonda.

Nonda has played 22 times in the Prem, made 16 Starts and scored 7 goals. Pretty impressive really and hes now starting to look confident at last. Bear in mind Jason Roberts last season Made 35 Starts for Wigan and scored 8 Prem Goals.

Also Nonda actually has a better minutes per goal Ratio in the premiership then Benni does :D Just look on premierleague.com and theres a mountain of stats.

If Nonda kicks on and plays like he did today and Benni continues whatever he\'s doing at the moment, Nonda could end up scoring more Prem goals then Benni :D

He played very well at Arsenal, and also, in a different role, today. 2 games when he seemed to be playing for a contract.Disappointing when he came on as a sub on Thursday-seemed not to want to get hurt rather than score an important goal.

I thought he was good today but not great. He didn't seem to get involved much until well-into the second half. He was lucky with both goals but finished well, and his penalty was......er....pathetic. However, he seems to be a lot more confident as someone has said, and seems more willing to run at defenders (to a pretty good effect aswell).

I think a big issue here will have been his fitness, and I now expect him to remain consistent for the remainder of the season. He will get his chances and it's upto him to take them. I'm afraid if his performances drop again then he will not be a worthwhile signing in the summer.

COME ON CHRIS SHOW US WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF LAD!!!

He missed a crucial chance when it really mattered on Thursday night.

He notched a neat goal in the opening seconds today and another "couldn't miss" opportunity thanks to great work by Derbyshire and a blunder by Calamity.

That apart he wasn't that great although I thought his partnership with Derbyshire was as effective as anything we've seen from any other combination this season.

I've thought for a while McCarthy must be very difficult to play alongside.

yesterday's 2 goals havent changed my opinion.

if you watch him closely, he doesnt anticipate the ball coming to him (whether it be from flick-ons, or through balls) and is generally static.

his biggest problem is he is lazy. even if he had roberts' work-rate, he'd be more of valuable to the team.

He's been 3rd choice striker most of the season, and has notched 8 times. Any team in our position would be happy with that.

He provides another option and he seems to be happy even with playing second fiddle to the first choice partnership. At the right price we'd be daft not to keep him on.

Right this could well be wrong, my housemates friend (Yep one of those) is working for a short period at Rovers, but I better not say where/doing what as I don't want to stich them up even if it is complete rubbish. Basically they say that Nonda isn't liked at Rovers at all and would be astounded if we were to keep him.

Apparently he doesn't mix in well with any of the players, and the management staff (Inc. Hughes) cannot wait to see the back of him. This story made more sense when I heard it a couple of weeks ago when he wasn't playing...but maybe he's had a change of attitude?

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Not sure about that, he seems to get on with the other players (on the pitch at least), he might be a bit frustrating though not chasing balls down etc - Dunn was yelling at him at Arsenal. I'd think he would be mates with Samba, it must be good to have someone else from your home country when abroad.

Its a tricky one. I must admit I haven't seen much of him play apart from the away UEFA games, a few in London, and the extended highlights on SKY.

I can't remember him standing out as the best player in a game but his scoring record is pretty decent. We've had many strikers in the past (and debatably currently Roberts) who work their socks off without troubling the scoring charts. Fans often prefer hard workers as they appear to care more for the club than the lazier goal poachers.

If there aren't any dressing room issues (maybe better now his fellow Congolese player Samba has joined), the transfer fee isn't over £2m and his wages are consistent with the rest of the squad I'd rather we kept him and offloaded Jeffers.

He does have a VERY annoying habit of missing sitters (I could have ripped his head off at Watford) but scoring from exceptionally odd angles though!

Right this could well be wrong, my housemates friend (Yep one of those) is working for a short period at Rovers, but I better not say where/doing what as I don't want to stich them up even if it is complete rubbish. Basically they say that Nonda isn't liked at Rovers at all and would be astounded if we were to keep him.

Apparently he doesn't mix in well with any of the players, and the management staff (Inc. Hughes) cannot wait to see the back of him. This story made more sense when I heard it a couple of weeks ago when he wasn't playing...but maybe he's had a change of attitude?

Judging by the way everyone rushed to celebrate with him yesterday, it looks like your source might be wrong.

He could well be CircoW. As OJ and Drunx said perhaps the arrival of a fellow countryman has done much to reassure him and helped him to fit in- after all this is what I was told a few weeks back. I just thought that the rumour had some weight because of Hughes' comments before yesterday about the possibility of him becoming a permanent Rover-he never sounded as if he wanted him on a full time basis.

I guess all will be revealed in the summer, but if he continues to score until then who'll give a damn anyway!

Edited by Somerset Rover!

That's not really the point, they presumably know each other from the international set-up and speak the same language (French) whereas apart from possibly Henchoz and Berner who both sound like German-speaking Swiss, there aren't any other francophiles in the squad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.