BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

Guest shoppybrfc

Rather Hughes had not signed Roberts and used that cash to buy Nonda.

Roberts has played more minutes then Jeffers now without a goal. Yet people still rip Jeffers to shreds, at least he scored.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because's he's an excellent right back.

Brett is excellent going forward from right-back, and pretty good defensively in general. The only times Brett scares me is when crosses come in from the right and he's defending the far post - such as the own goal at Watford. If he came up against someone as good in the air as Gamst on the wing he'd be in real trouble.

Yet people still rip Jeffers to shreds, at least he scored.

There is a reason for that, he is crap!

Plus Jase has a good goal scoring past and given a run he will score, you give Jeffers a run you are not given the same assurances. See how Franny goes in the Championship and then who knows he could prove alot of people wrong. :rover:

Roberts has played more minutes then Jeffers now without a goal. Yet people still rip Jeffers to shreds, at least he scored.

Not strictly true, Roberts has at least scored once from open play this season, Jeffers needed a rather fortunate penalty conversion to register.

We haven't really been playing to Roberts' strengths this season when he has been on the pitch, he has usually got the ball with his back to goal which isn't his forte. We saw a brief glimpse of "the Wigan Roberts" on Sunday at the breezeblock with that awesome run. Next season if we can play the ball in front of him and play him in a lot earlier I still think Roberts could be a real asset.

Nonda I'm really not convinced by. I would have thought that if we can get into the UEFA again either through League, FA Cup or Intertoto, we can do better.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Not strictly true, Roberts has at least scored once from open play this season, Jeffers needed a rather fortunate penalty conversion to register.

We haven't really been playing to Roberts' strengths this season when he has been on the pitch, he has usually got the ball with his back to goal which isn't his forte. We saw a brief glimpse of "the Wigan Roberts" on Sunday at the breezeblock with that awesome run. Next season if we can play the ball in front of him and play him in a lot earlier I still think Roberts could be a real asset.

Nonda I'm really not convinced by. I would have thought that if we can get into the UEFA again either through League, FA Cup or Intertoto, we can do better.

Nonda seems to be a complete enigma; he scores extremely difficult goals that nobody would ever expect him to, and completely misses the easiest chances that I am sure even I at my present age could convert.

Nonda seems to be a complete enigma; he scores extremely difficult goals that nobody would ever expect him to, and completely misses the easiest chances that I am sure even I at my present age could convert.

Beamo!

:D

Edited by b12_simon

Guest shoppybrfc

I really do not know why Hughes bought Roberts, he only scored 8 Prem Goals ( 2 were Penaltys ) in 35 Starts for Wigan last season, just a average scoring record really, I bet Rob Hulse has a better scoring record this season!, and we as a top 6 side wouldnt want him!

Nonda has done very well if you ask me, yet he get gets critisized, maybe becauses he a loan player or is not really our own player, some people just dont like him and never will! Kind of like the Axe. His scoring stats in the Prem are pretty good: started 16 Games, came on as sub in 6, and Scored 7 goals so far.

People forget he was out for nearly the WHOLE of last season with Injury, and hes came into a new league famous for foreign players taking time to find their feet and hes done very well. If anyones seen his career threatening Injury Its on this Youtube video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Seo2PwsNGO4

After seeing that Injury he had its remarkable hes even playing yet alone doing well in a new league after year out injured playing for Roma.

Edited by shoppybrfc

Roberts offers power and pace, two things that none of our other strikers really seem to have. Derbyshire is quick but Roberts is quicker. Its all about options and I think Roberts fits into out set of forwards well.

I would imagine Nonda and Jeffers will leave in the summer and we will look for a high quality regular partner for Benni with Roberts and Derbyshire offering the backup.

Not strictly true, Roberts has at least scored once from open play this season

Did he? :blink:

Nonda turned 30 a few days ago and I can't really see the point in keeping him on. Although he has started scoring more regularly he doesn't seem anything special and his wage demands will most likely be high.

Nonda seems to becoming a wanted player, now Fulham are interested in him as well as Pompy.

Not sure about this. He hasn't really pulled up any trees this season and Rovers aren't exactly falling over themselves to secure his services. I suspect an agent at work with the Pompey/Fulham link.

Not sure about this. He hasn't really pulled up any trees this season and Rovers aren't exactly falling over themselves to secure his services. I suspect an agent at work with the Pompey/Fulham link.

The Fiver mentioned Pompey's interest a few days ago. He fulfils all of 'Arry's criteria, i.e. he'll be cheap.

Personally I like Nonda and hope he stays with us. He's not had the most prolific season, tis true, but he's been in Benni's shadow.

I agree, keep the guy, he can do the business, he can only get better in my view and if we have any aspirations then we're going to need a Benni, a Matt, A Fully Fit Roberts and a Nonda.

1/2 decent strikers don't grow on trees and if the guy that turned out against pompey appears more often then he'd take a princely sum to replace!

I don't see the point of us having both Nonda and Roberts, they do very similar jobs but neither are more than bench players.

Keeping Pongolle instead of signing one of those two would have given us more options, despite his lack of goals he always impressed for us...it's no surprise he's doing well in Spain.

but has anyone been watching Pongolle's performances in Spain? He's driving spanish defenses mad!

Let him stay there. Never really cut it for me as a striker.

However, back on track with Shabani, then I would love to see him stay. His market value would be around £2-3 million and that would be a good piece of business. He initially hit the scene pretty well, but went through a moment of playing in the wilderness. He has a decent enough understanding with Benni and think he's a fecking brilliant replacement for Shefki. He's a good target man with a cute eye for goal.

However, I still feel we've yet to see Mr Roberts kick into full action this season and believe you me, he will do it soon enough. Would love to see him start against the likes of West Ham, Watford and Charlton. We've some big games coming up and we now need to improve vastly on our goal difference as it could end up costing us a place.

Let him stay there. Never really cut it for me as a striker.

Give him a chance...he was only 21 when he was here! A very impressive talent for that age.

This season he is doing really well in La Liga. I'd certainly prefer a 22 year old Pongolle with bags of talent and promise than a 30-year old Nonda who isn't the player he once was due to injuries.

Not much chance of it though as Hughes seemed to take the hump with him and left him out the side toward the end of the loan spell.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Isn't he still waiting for his first goal for us?

Apologies, I could nonchelantly pretend that I was of course referring to his effort v the Kiwis, but I could actually have sworn blind he scored against Wigan at home. :unsure:

Better get a berth next to jim in the nursing home.

Give him a chance...he was only 21 when he was here! A very impressive talent for that age.

This season he is doing really well in La Liga. I'd certainly prefer a 22 year old Pongolle with bags of talent and promise than a 30-year old Nonda who isn't the player he once was due to injuries.

Not much chance of it though as Hughes seemed to take the hump with him and left him out the side toward the end of the loan spell.

Probably my biggest disappointment with Hughes in the transfer market was not signing Pongolle when he was practically begging for us to and could have been had on the cheap.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.