BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

It will be interesting to see what happens with Nonda.

Hughes raves about him showing quality everyday in training and says he just needs more confidence to replicate this in matches.

He has not fully convinced me yet but a lot of foreign players do not settle properly until their second season. He also annoys me when it appears like he is not trying, by this I mean running around. However, that is just his natural demeanour.

I am sure another Prem league team will take him if we don't.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

{...}We saw a brief glimpse of "the Wigan Roberts" on Sunday at the breezeblock with that awesome run. Next season if we can play the ball in front of him and play him in a lot earlier I still think Roberts could be a real asset.

Nonda I'm really not convinced by. I would have thought that if we can get into the UEFA again either through League, FA Cup or Intertoto, we can do better.

We saw a brief glimpse of the "Roberts (anywhere) Roberts" on Valentines day in Germany with that awesome miss - the ball was very much in front of him, pretty early too. Which means we're all sat at home tonight rather than being teargassed in Lens.

Nonda on the other hand has scored a handful of useful goals that none of our other strikers would have scored - or even dared to try and score. He does the unexpected and he does it well. I would concur that he could sometimes do better at being ordinary (his debut goal up at the Riverside proves he can do the basics) but a team at our level is very lucky to have that element of the extraordinary and the unexpected.

Nonda has to stay for me. He wants to, and finding an equivalent would be very tough. I'm quite sure Roberts will stay as well, and he too is welcome. A club like ours needs back up, and we're not likely to improve on Roberts as a 4th choice option (maybe 5th if Gally ever shows some form).

We saw a brief glimpse of the "Roberts (anywhere) Roberts" on Valentines day in Germany with that awesome miss - the ball was very much in front of him, pretty early too. Which means we're all sat at home tonight rather than being teargassed in Lens.

Nonda on the other hand has scored a handful of useful goals that none of our other strikers would have scored - or even dared to try and score. He does the unexpected and he does it well. I would concur that he could sometimes do better at being ordinary (his debut goal up at the Riverside proves he can do the basics) but a team at our level is very lucky to have that element of the extraordinary and the unexpected.

Nonda has to stay for me. He wants to, and finding an equivalent would be very tough. I'm quite sure Roberts will stay as well, and he too is welcome. A club like ours needs back up, and we're not likely to improve on Roberts as a 4th choice option (maybe 5th if Gally ever shows some form).

Im quite tired but I will say I agree entirely with that post.

Spot on my friend.

Nonda should be asked whether or not he will be happy with being 3rd/4th choice. If the answer to that is yes, and the usual wages/transfer fee equations stack up, then its a no brainer. We'll probably get double figures in goals out of the guy for this season, which is great for someone further down the pecking order.

If there are enough transfer funds to keep him and bring in another quality striker as well as players in other positions then yes. If not then I would rather see us go for a player who is a definite starter.

Who has nonda scored against? I remember last year when we looked at shefki's they where mainly against current championship teams, might see what quality nonda is......

Middlesbrough (twice), Fulham, Arse, Lever, Portsmouth

Equally, we were sat at home twiddling our thumbs tonight because we saw "the real Nonda" missing the easiest of chances when the chips were down three minutes from time at Ewood v Leverkusen.

Shorn of pressure a few days later he effortlessly converted a much more difficult chance in the opening seconds.

It depends how highly we're rating Nonda. No more than a no 3 in my eyes. IF MCcarthy stays we ideally need to sign a player of similar quality alongside him and let Derbyshire/Roberts/Nonda/Gallagher scrap it out to try and displace them.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Shabba in full form, flight, injury free IMO (on watching him in the past) is better then Benni. Whether or not we can ever see him skinning defenders again like he did before the knee gave way is the question.

Edited by neekoy

He also annoys me when it appears like he is not trying, by this I mean running around. However, that is just his natural demeanour.

Think you've been spoiled watching too much Ashley Ward / Paul Dickov / Shefki Kuqi...

Shabba in full form, flight, injury free IMO (on watching him in the past) is better then Benni. Whether or not we can ever see him skinning defenders again like he did before the knee gave way is the question.

Don't think it was his knee? Didn't his leg nearly snap off? Either way, I'm not watching it again!

I actually quite like Nonda. He doesn't moan and complain, he just gets on with it. I do agree that it can be quite annoying that he can score amazing goals (e.g. v. Middlesborough at Ewood), but miss easy chances. However, I'd rather that he has the ability to do that sort of thing and if so, I'm sure that sooner or later he'll start putting away the easier chances.

I say if he's £1.5-2m, take him on. I'm sure there are other Premiership teams casting an eye over him, not many teams have a striker with the kind of goals/mins played ratio that he has.

I believe wages might be an issue, someone mentioned that he was on fairly large wages at Roma. I'd like to see him stay, I genuinely believe that it's lack of confidence holding him back, or he could have had 3 against Leverkusen in the last 10 minutes. He needs to work on his heading a bit too, he got some really good headed chances earlier in the season that he should have scored.

Depends on how much he costs, really. And where we finish, and who's available, and as mentioned, his wages.

• 1 month later...
Guest shoppybrfc

Felt sorry for Nonda when he horribly skied that shot on Saturday, I've a feeling thats the last we've seen of Shabani, although he's hardly played this second half of the season and still managed 8 goals. I for one will niss Nonda, hes just had a terrible time with injuries, and that injury in 2004 has clearly destroyed a once brilliant player, this season as well he's missed alot of games through little injuries.

Felt sorry for Nonda when he horribly skied that shot on Saturday, I've a feeling thats the last we've seen of Shabani, although he's hardly played this second half of the season and still managed 8 goals. I for one will niss Nonda, hes just had a terrible time with injuries, and that injury in 2004 has clearly destroyed a once brilliant player, this season as well he's missed alot of games through little injuries.

I don't see the big deal with that miss really. He'd just come on, and has had little to no time on the pitch. Bit harsh to judge him on 5-10 mins that he was on (he was on for that little wasn't he?).

I don't see the big deal with that miss really. He'd just come on, and has had little to no time on the pitch. Bit harsh to judge him on 5-10 mins that he was on (he was on for that little wasn't he?).

Derb's second touch was a cool finish across the keeper. Nonda, in comparison, missed an absolute sitter. I for one hope we don't bring him back.

Can't see Nonda staying if we keep McCarthy. There are better players out there and his pace is awful. Hughes appears to like having options up front and if we keep the current 3 then the best improvement for a 4th striker would be someone with genuine pace. Can anybody think of anyone coming up for sale that could fit the bill? :rover:

Guest shoppybrfc

What about Nondas performance against Portsmouth, I'd say it was the best any of our strikers has played all season 2 goals, a unselfish assist, his overall play in that game was excellent, if he played like that consitently he'd be starting everyweek. I think the guy just needs to play regularly, If he had started every single game like Benni, He'd probably be on 15 goals by now as well. This season he's seemed to get into a bit of form then get a injury that kept him out for a few weeks, during that time another strikers hit form and he hasnt been able to dislodge them.

He's been on loan.

I think its brilliant that Hughes worst signing is a loan signing that has scored 8 goals. He hasn't cost us anything.

not cost us anything? oh so hes not been paid thousands each week to sit on his arse and miss gilt edged chances.?

Guest shoppybrfc
not cost us anything? oh so hes not been paid thousands each week to sit on his arse and miss gilt edged chances.?

Do you ever stop speaking crap? You type like a 3 year old as well.

Edited by shoppybrfc

including 3 points against Boro

Make that 6 points against Boro.

Nonda is ok and has shown flashes of talent, when he had a run of about 10 games in a row between November & New Years day (he got took off injured at half time & matty came on to score his first goal for us) i thought he was really starting to look sharp, and scored a cracker against Boro at home & also 2 goals at the Emirates. Since then though he has only played a bit part, and come May 14th will probably be shipped back to Roma.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.