BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do find it strange that Nonda seems set to stay. I can't see why we'd want five strikers on the books next season, so Nonda staying permanently would suggest one of four things;

1) We're not signing any strikers this summer

2) McCarthy is leaving

3) Roberts is leaving

4) Derbyshire is leaving

Number 4 seems the most unlikely out of all those. Should I be wrong and we do sign a quality striker (Hughes has rightly said he'll only sign players for the first XI), then signing Nonda permanently would just surely push Derbyshire down to fifth choice striker. I can't see Hughes paying £2 million and relatively big wages for Nonda to be fifth choice, so any potential deal for Nonda could hold Derbyshire's progress back, which would be a huge shame.

The £2 million would be better spent budgeted towards a top quality striker in my opinion. Then we'd have the new boy, McCarthy, Roberts and Derbyshire...with Jeffers/Garner/De Vita etc. in reserve in case of an injury crisis. I fail to see what Nonda brings to the team that Roberts doesn't anyway.

I also find it a little strange and almost dissapointing that we appear to be settling for someone of Nonda's quality as our forward signing for the summer, possibly suggests that were going to keep hold of the extra revenue this summer and use it to further stabilise the financial situation which may not be a bad move in the long run, especially if we let the silly money change hands whilst everyone is flush in the summer, and then hang around for a season until the market settles down again.

Then again i could be talking tosh.

Guest shoppybrfc

Why is everyone saying the fee will be £2million, has Hughes or Rovers confirmed this fee? Its just paper speculation, Im willing to bet the fee will be 'Undisclosed' and no more then £1million, Hughes has paid very little for each of the Loan signings he's turned in permanent so far. so I can't see him paying much for Shabani. People forget Hughes is very shrewd when it comes to transfer fees.

Why is everyone saying the fee will be £2million, has Hughes or Rovers confirmed this fee? Its just paper speculation, Im willing to bet the fee will be 'Undisclosed' and no more then £1million, Hughes has paid very little for each of the Loan signings he's turned in permanent so far. so I can't see him paying much for Shabani. People forget Hughes is very shrewd when it comes to transfer fees.

absolutely right.

although, nonda is still a waste of space and money!

Nonda has been pretty average this season but if Hughes thinks he can improve him, well thats good enough for me. Wasn't everyone getting on the 'lets get rid of Emerton' bandwagon this time last year? Look what happened to him after a Hughes and the team got to work on him. Totally different scenarios, of course, but the same principle of believing in his players.

We gotta trust his judgement.

Nonda has been pretty average this season but if Hughes thinks he can improve him, well thats good enough for me. Wasn't everyone getting on the 'lets get rid of Emerton' bandwagon this time last year? Look what happened to him after a Hughes and the team got to work on him. Totally different scenarios, of course, but the same principle of believing in his players.

We gotta trust his judgement.

Absolutely right MR! You beat me to it. I had intended posting virtually the same as you but with the addition of a few more names.

Let's see now; how many Rovers players in the last 12 months or so have had a very vociferous and prolonged attack on their abilities and/or usefulness to the team, and suddenly this seaon,as if by magic, they are all A1 OK.

1. MGP: He hides! Cant defend, Cant cross a ball, Cant be arsed, etc,etc. .....Different story now, eh?

2. Emerton: Ditto , but now he has emerged from his crysalis state Bert Mk1 to become Bert Mk2.

3. Mokoena: "The Axe" Cant tackle, cant pass, cant read the game etc..... All changed now eh?

I could go on in this vein but it would take too much time and become very repetitive, so I will simply list a few more that have been well attacked and dismissed as useless by more than just a few on here.

OOijer, Zurab, Neil, Gray, Bentley, Roberts, Benni, Nonda, Gally.

There now that just about covers it, and when you look at that list it almost covers our entire squad. It makes you wonder what the players themselves think about it all?

Do you ever stop speaking crap? You type like a 3 year old as well.
ooops just seen this

when? so hes not paid thousands?he's not missed chances?

oh and you insult like a big girls blouse and i couldnt give a toss what you think of my typing skills

Absolutely right MR! You beat me to it. I had intended posting virtually the same as you but with the addition of a few more names.

Let's see now; how many Rovers players in the last 12 months or so have had a very vociferous and prolonged attack on their abilities and/or usefulness to the team, and suddenly this seaon,as if by magic, they are all A1 OK.

1. MGP: He hides! Cant defend, Cant cross a ball, Cant be arsed, etc,etc. .....Different story now, eh?

2. Emerton: Ditto , but now he has emerged from his crysalis state Bert Mk1 to become Bert Mk2.

3. Mokoena: "The Axe" Cant tackle, cant pass, cant read the game etc..... All changed now eh?

I could go on in this vein but it would take too much time and become very repetitive, so I will simply list a few more that have been well attacked and dismissed as useless by more than just a few on here.

OOijer, Zurab, Neil, Gray, Bentley, Roberts, Benni, Nonda, Gally.

There now that just about covers it, and when you look at that list it almost covers our entire squad. It makes you wonder what the players themselves think about it all?

Couldn't agree with you more!

Look at scenarios from other clubs where a little faith has paid off:

Vidic - dreadful last season and lesser managers would have shipped him out

Evra: see above

Drogba: Couldn't hit a proverbial in his first season but look at him now

Henry: Awful when he first arrived at Arsenal (maybe this one is a bit extreme)

OK, faith doesn't pay off all the time but Nonda has had big injury problems in the past, probably suffered confidence because of it and playing in the prem takes time to adjust. Besides, his goal ratio (is it 1 in every 2.5 games) isnt too shabani is it?

Lets judge the guy after next season!

Because it was on the back page of the LET quoting the £2mill price tag. It's very rare that the LET publish the cost of players so we have to assume it's fairly accurate. Either way, it's not a figure that has just been plucked from the air. If the deal goes through I agree that it will be 'undisclosed' though like all of our signings.

I agree that players should be given a chance where possible - see the long lists above.

But for all those players that came good, there's an equal amount that don't.

If we keep him, I hope its less than 2m and he comes good - but I can't get some of the missed chances out of my head - eg vs Charlton in the last minute simple chance it hit the McDonalds kids enclosure in the BB end!

Nonda has done ok'ish I guess, but I do not think he's the player that will take us to the next level. Can't really see Hughes signing him, not for £2m anyway. I'm sure Hughes will wait and see who is available before making a move on Nonda.

But we need a fourth striker thats for sure...

NO, PLEASE NO!!

i have just had a very nice conversation with a swedish girl, to make me grin like a cheshire cat and then i come on here, and now reading this and being told by my mate in blackburn....it is like being hit with a ###### brick!!!

i know that sparky is very rarely wrong...but 99% of rovers fans if you asked them would say that we don't want nonda at rovers anymore.

The most disappointing aspect is that if we are interested in signing him it would seem to preclude a move for Bellamy - which would leave us with

Bellamy McCarthy

Roberts Derbyshire

Nonda Gallagher

Jeffers

Unless of course someone out of the first four is leaving. Would we really be spending 2m on our 5th choice striker?

NO, PLEASE NO!!

i have just had a very nice conversation with a swedish girl, to make me grin like a cheshire cat and then i come on here, and now reading this and being told by my mate in blackburn....it is like being hit with a ###### brick!!!

i know that sparky is very rarely wrong...but 99% of rovers fans if you asked them would say that we don't want nonda at rovers anymore.

It's great that you speak for 99% of supporters. I'm part of the 1% that want him to stay. Not to start every week, but to stay on as cover for Benni and Roberts.

It's great that you speak for 99% of supporters. I'm part of the 1% that want him to stay. Not to start every week, but to stay on as cover for Benni and Roberts.

I'm in the 1% as well. For a guy who has come first season into the Premiership, back from horrendous injuries, been troubled by niggling injuries, a goal scoring record like his is highly commendable. Frequently overseas players take a while to settle in England - Drogba and Vidic were mentioned above. He just might turn into a bargain. There's an element of risk but at £2m for the devil you know rather than £xxm for the one you don't in the Summer it seems decent business to me.

NO, PLEASE NO!!

You have hit the nail on the head.

Sparky knows better than you

While Nonda doesn't inspire me with great confidence, he's a lot better than Jeffers, Bothroyd, etc. Maybe with this signing Sparky will quit his reclamation projects up front and go with an established 4 or 5. What this says about Gally, i'm not sure, though. I mean he's not a natural winger, but maybe Sparky's trying to mold him into one. And if we look at the pecking order of strikers, he'd be 5th choice. This is if everyone stays for next year which I REALLY hope they do.

At any rate, I'm not too fussed with the signing either way, but if it's for a good price and for a short-ish length, I'd say go for it!

Wouldnt be against Nonda saying per say, but it does depend massively on the price. £2m would seem a little a steep, considering how notoriously careful we are with money these days under Hughes. Esp when he would be only a 4th striker perhaps, if we signed a Bellamy or Bent in the summer

I don't think Nonda really improves the first team enough to be worth £2m. He might be a useful squad player from what I've seen, but that would put him in the £500,000-1m bracket. Especially with the fairly high wages. If we want a player to be able to boost the first XI, Nonda isn't the man.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.